Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2010, 08:59 AM  

Wellsboro, PA
Top 5 places to visit in Philadelphia.

I have a buddy that lives just outside of Philly and I haven't seen much of the city. What are the top 5 places that are a must-go? Sights and restaurants or anything else cool.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:05 AM  

EAST NORRITON, PA
it depends on what you are into.

a MUST SEE is Independence Hall. even if you are not into history, it is awe-inspiring to walk through the halls where people like thomas jefferson, ben franklin, john adams, and george washington walked, and where democracy as the world knows it was born. across he street is the Liberty Bell.

just across the river (in Camden, NJ, which you otherwise want to avoid at the risk of your life) is the Battleship New Jersey and the New Jersey State Aquarium (they are right next to each other and both excellent).

the Franklin Institute is a great science museum, as is the Academy of Natural Sciences, which is right across the street. also within walking distance from those is the Art Museum, which is world-class. and there's that whole 'Rocky Balboa running up the Art Museum steps' thing that visitors like to do.

at night, it's always 'interesting' to do some bar-hopping on South Street. caveat: drinks are stupid expensive.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:11 PM  

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
You have Penns Landing which has a maritime musuem, a sub and battleship tours. The the scenic area's of Kelly Drive. The Phila Zoo is also good. I agree with Alterior about the historic district around 4th and Market streets.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:27 PM  

phoenixville, pa
What ever you end up doing, you should try the Vietnam restaurant Vietnam Restaurant

Get the Spring Rolls, you won't be disappointed! Also, Vietnamese food is not all exotic with snake and dog, it is actually pretty plain. They do have some spicy stuff too.

Or Ralph's for Italian Ralph’s Italian Restaurant

Navigation tip:
Even numbered streets for 1 to 13 are one way SOUTH
Odd numbered streets for 1 to 13 are one way NORTH
Even numbered streets for 15 and up are one way NORTH
Odd numbered streets for 15 and up are one way SOUTH
14th street is Broad street, I avoid it because of the turn restrictions on it

E/W streets are named after trees and alternate EAST/WEST

*please note- EVERY rule has exceptions...

Pay attention to parking. They got rid of meters and use a kiosk system.

Have fun!
Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 AM  
Great Dane Loving Jeeper

San Antonio, TX
Goota do the Independence Hall tour and see the Liberty Bell as well. South Street is touristy but a good time. Don't forget to grab a real cheesesteak. Boy I miss Philly.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:03 PM  

12550, New York
My cousin now lives just outside Philly and we went to visit him. Independence hall was really cool, and the tickets were free. It was cool to go to the museum and see the rocky statue. That is really great for any Rocky fan, and it was all my cousin could think about for the whole day. The Liberty Bell was also a nice site. IIRC, it is actually mounted in a way that will still allow it to swing.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 AM  

Spokane, WA
I got engaged in Philly. At a place called Love park, it had a pink fountain. While I was there I remember some of the things I liked were the road with all the country flags on it. and the strip going to the docks with all the shops (don't know the names of either)
Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 PM  
PA HUNTER

PENNSYLVANIA
My 2 cents...

Independence Mall ( Liberty Bell )

Betsy Ross House

Philadelphia Museum of Art

Franklin Institute

South Street

...and try to catch a Phillies, Eagles, Flyers, or Sixers game !!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:38 PM  

12550, New York
^pretty good list there.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:04 PM  

Philadelphia, PA
Art Museum Steps on a clear night is a beautiful view of the city. and Chinks Steaks @ Benner st and Torresdale ave in the Northeast.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads