Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Phoenix
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2010, 01:53 PM  

phoenix, az
time to take the 9 year old out to use his new bb gun

The time has come, my boy is growing up on me. he has his first bb gun and if he treats it well, respects the shooting rules while out, he will get a 22 caliber for Christmas. They grow up fast. Side note he has no access to any guns bb or real unsupervised they all stay in the safe.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:25 PM  

Phoenix, Arizona
I would suggest taking your kid to one of the shooting ranges. Either Ben Avery or Usery Pass and get them involved with their shotting program for youth. They use .22 rifles and get trained in gun safety and marksmanship. Great for young people to understand the importance of safety with firearms and the people at the range are professionals at teaching them.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:56 PM  

Phoenix, Arizona
I taught both of my boys the basic rules and safety starting at five. Started with .22 cal. both pistol and rifle. First times were at informal ( open desert ) ranges but we did go to the Avery Range at Careefree Hyw and I-17 several times also so that they could get used to 'formal' range rules. I taught them basic safety first - ALWAYS treat a weapon as loaded and lethal. ALWAYS clear your weapon before anything else. NEVER point a gun at another person or domestic animal/pet.
Maybe I was lucky,but my boys never broke the rules. I was always proud of that. On several occasion they wanted to show weapons to their friends and always came to me first. First rule, get the other parents approval! Then follow all safety rules. This allow me to teach basic weapons safety to several other young men.
All weapons(rifles,pistols,pellet,and BB) are securely locked in a gun safe with only one key - mine, except for one pistol and one 12 ga. which were secured differently for easy access by myself or wife for home defense.
I think that girls should be given the same opportunities to learn these rules and training also. I will be instructing my granddaughters as soon as they show an interest. BTW, I now have a couple of airsoft weapons to play with , in my yard. These will be very good for basic training as they function exactly as 'real steel'!!!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:39 PM  

Los Angeles, CA
Good job!

I was 9 when I got my first .22, an Ithaca M49. Still have it, and still remember it's first outing.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:44 PM  
Community Active

Florence, OR
I learned to shoot with my own BB gun after I could identify all the working parts of the gun and reciet the fir arms 10 Commandments.

Should be that way for every kid!!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:14 AM  

phoenix, az
Next Sunday 11-7 I will be taking him out to shoot his bb gun and I am going to let him shoot the 10-22 if he shows responsibility and good habits. I have confidence in him that he will do well.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:51 AM  
TOF

Each child is a bit different but I was able to introduce my Grand children to BB guns a bit earlier and purchased 22's for them at 8yo. They religiously adhered to safety rules I taught them from the time they began to walk and talk.

Teaching them about the outdoors, part of which included guns, has been the best part of getting old.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:48 AM  

Peoria, Arizona
this is awesome. its very important that we keep teaching kids gun safety. to many kids are finding guns and not learning safety and the consequences of not adhearing to these rules.

its also nice to have a new generation of hunters out there.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:46 AM  
Vykyng!!! Nordic Warriors

Peoria, Arizona
my favorite gun memory is from when i was 9 or 10 years old i got a pellet gun for my birthday. the next day i skipped church and shot out our neighbors garage windows in back because they used to take and keep our baseballs and footballs if they went into their yard. so this was my revenge. that day the lady went shopping at the grocery store where my mom worked. she asked if she knew anyone with a pellet gun because all their windows had been shot out and pellets were all over the place. mom came home and beat the snot out of me with that pellet gun. it broke over my butt and i never saw it again.

i've learned my lesson from that day and am very careful with guns now! haha

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Phoenix
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.