Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Photography Display
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2010, 07:13 AM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Photography questions

The forecasted water spouts got me thinking about long range photography again.. I live on the lake and often see the large ore ships, and other interesting things but they are usually a mile or two away and way out of range of my outdated 5 megapixel Nikon.

So what kind of entry level setup would you recommend?
I would prefer digital but certainly wouldn't rule out 35mm.

I'm guessing a tri-pod, telephoto lens and camera, anything else?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:15 AM  
rub a dub dub

between your ears talking to ya, Georgia
I rencently went back home to Chile, SA and bought me a great low budget camera. Canon T1i brand new from store then went on ebay and bought bag tripod telephoto wide angle batteries remote macro setup 16Gb, 8GB, & 4GB class 6 cards etc. In all I've prolly only spent $1200 or less. $700 for camera, 15.1MP full 1080P HD video and full manual operation setting as well as about 6 or 7 auto settings.

Here's some pix from the trip so you can get an idea of quality. I am still relatively new to photography and this is my 1st SLR after getting bored with two point n shoot cameras. I know it can be better but my ignorance to settings may have retarded some pix. It's alot to learn but I have be having a blast learning how to use it. Even considering taking a college class for photography.

$1200 may seem alot but when you start researching better bodies and lenses you realize quickly $1200 aint much at all. And like I said, there's a lot to learn but if you're into it, it's a lot of fun learning!

Old 10-03-2010, 05:43 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
The t1i t2i and Nikon d3000 and d5000 are all great starter camers. Olympus makes a few decent start up cameras in the DSLR game. But for the options and price I went witht he Nikon d5000. I got mine at best buy with a 18-55mm and a 55-200 mm zoom lens. I have taken some amazing pics with this set up.

If you want good LONG shots your going to need a big lens. Something like a 400 or 500mm lens. The one 500mm lens I am looking at is $1k+. dSLR lens are like rifle scopes you get what you pay for. I know a guy that for general photographery us uses a nikon D3s$5k+ and a Nikkor 70-200mm that is another $2k+.

It is all on what you want to do and how much you have to spend. do you need $8k in camera equipment to take great photos. NO you don't. But this hobby can be as expensive or more than being a gun nut. My wife hates because I love taking photos and I love shooting.

Here are a few pics I have turned out with my Nikon set up.
All but the helo rotor were taking with the 55-200mm Zoom at 200mm and hand held.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:51 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Here are some more.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 AM  

Scottville, Michigan
Yes the basic things you need are a camera body, long lens and a tripod. A nice extra to have is either a manual shutter release cable or a wireless shutter release to keep the vibration down from pushing the shutter release button on the camera body itself if you are shooting really long range.

You don't have to break the bank to enjoy yourself either. As an example let me toss a couple photos out here. All these were taken with an entry level 10.2 megapixel DSLR (if you have to know, it was a Sony a-200). The longer lens I was fooling around with was a slow(f8-f22), old (30+ years old), fully manual 500mm Rexatar telephoto. Mounted to the camera body using a $5 adapter I bought online. The other lens I was using is an older (25 year old) 70-210mm f4, Minolta Maxxum lens I bought new back in 1985. The whole set-up can be had right now for around $650 including the lenses and tripod. None of the photos are very good, but they are shot over water which can be a pain to expose correctly (which I didn't in most of them). This is bargain basement long range photography. To get clearer shots the price goes up accordingly.

First one is of a beach and lifeguard stand that was just over 4.75 miles from my location as the crow flies. Taken with the 500mm mounted on a tripod.

this is a 100% crop of the above image.

Next is a sailboat that was about 3/4 of a mile out. This was taken at 210mm, handheld.

Next is of a 1000 foot long ore boat on Lake Michigan. Taken with a few different lenses, in these you can really see the difference between a "regular" lens, the 210mm and the 500mm for how close you can get.

Kit lens that came with the camera (I marked where the boat is for those not used to spotting a boat out a little ways.) This one was out in one the shipping lane which is about 6-7 miles out at this location.

using the 210mm handheld

And the 500mm handheld.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:23 PM  

coconut creek, Florida
cool, im thinking about getting the T2i as soon as i can come up with the funds
Old 10-08-2010, 09:45 PM  
rub a dub dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc963 View Post
cool, im thinking about getting the T2i as soon as i can come up with the funds
Someone correct me but when I purchased the T1i, after some research and talking with photography friends, I was unable to be convinced to spend the extra few hundred dollars for the T2i. All you really get is a few extra MPs, which as far as I understand doesnt mean anything if you're not blowing pics into large framed images. Also, liveshot allows the T2i to be used more like a point and shoot where the LCD is your view finder. I didn't mind the analog view finder of the T1i and even bought an eye piece extender as not to smug the LCd with my nose. Other than that, a firmware update on the T1i and you have yourself a T2i with less then 3 MP difference and liveshot LCD. I will not try to change your mind but would not want you to purchase a T2i for a few extra hundred if you research and become familiar with it. I am a fan of canon but my amigo has an olympus with IS built into the body of the camera where he doesn't have to pay the extra money when purchasing lens with IS.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:32 AM  

Scottville, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3S00W View Post
I am a fan of canon but my amigo has an olympus with IS built into the body of the camera where he doesn't have to pay the extra money when purchasing lens with IS.
One of the reasons I went with a Sony Alpha series camera and will stick to them. Any "A" mount lens that auto-focuses will have the benefit of having the IS built into the body. I have 25 year old lenses I used for my Minolta Maxxum film bodies that are great lenses, and now have the added advantage of the in body IS system on my Sony's.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:44 AM  

Calgary, Alberta
Im looking into a new body also,

Is there really a noticable difference between the T1i and the T2i?

I understand that the 2 is Fullframe but, for a fairly new Photographer is it worth it?

I mostly shoot, Snowboarding Offroading biking Cars that kind of stuff.

Thanks for the help
Old 10-10-2010, 07:19 AM  
rub a dub dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uboatcmdr View Post
Im looking into a new body also,

Is there really a noticable difference between the T1i and the T2i?

I understand that the 2 is Fullframe but, for a fairly new Photographer is it worth it?

I mostly shoot, Snowboarding Offroading biking Cars that kind of stuff.

Thanks for the help
The T1i i think is 3.4f/s which wasnt bad til I went to shoot at a jetski comp. The freestule is where it sucked the most. For fast action motor sports, i think, with 6 or 7 f/s or better will be best. Also need faster lens for focusing. I am pleased with thia camera as a starter into the dslr/slr game but I do pln to replace in two yrs. I need more from the camera.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Photography Display
Bookmark this Page!