Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2011, 05:05 AM  
bja

Butler, Pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by london1o1 View Post
What? I'd love to see the price breakdowns on this.
Obviously I'm screwing myself somehow. I was doing extract brewing for a while, and was spending around $20-25/case.
Extract brewing is much more expensive. You must have been buying highly hopped kits to end up spending that much.

It's easy to get the price down to $8/case with all grain, but you need to buy everything in bulk. 50# sacks of grain, hops by the pound, culture your own yeast or use dried. Then you'll need a grain mill and a mash tun.

It's costing me about $35 to brew 10 gallon which is 4-1/2 cases.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 AM  

philadelphia, pa
It's all in how you shop. You could've gotten a brew pot for $25 at walmart for extract partial boil brewing. You can get hops on ebay for $8/pound. You can buy grain in bulk for as little as $1/pound, especially if you're in a brew club. You can wash and re-use yeast.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:11 AM  

Kittanning, PA
I brewed beer for about 5 years. It is a great hobby and alot of fun, even educational, however, I am making wine now and it is even more fun! Go to Consumer's Produce in September or October and buy grapes and do the entire process like the wineries do only on a smaller scale-60 gallons. You can find groups to go together and purchase the equipment together and borrow the equipment from one another. If you don't want to buy all the equipment buy the kit with just juice, the destemming and crushing is already done for you! Lots of fun and I made this wine myself!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:30 AM  

Kittanning, PA
By the way, I still probably prefer drinking beer but I broadened my horizons by making wine and acquiring a taste for certain wines as well. I am not a white wine person but my wife is so I bought a kit of Chardonnay and it is going well so far-it is fun to "taste" the wine-have tasting contests.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:56 AM  

Kittanning, PA
To break it down, now that I have been making wine for about 3 years, it is costing about $4 a bottle-try to buy a bottle of red wine in the liquor store for that.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:24 AM  

Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
Extract brewing is much more expensive. You must have been buying highly hopped kits to end up spending that much.

It's easy to get the price down to $8/case with all grain, but you need to buy everything in bulk. 50# sacks of grain, hops by the pound, culture your own yeast or use dried. Then you'll need a grain mill and a mash tun.

It's costing me about $35 to brew 10 gallon which is 4-1/2 cases.
Yeah, if you're doing 10 gal. all-grain batches, I'm less surprised by the $8/case and much more surprised by the $70 for your whole system. Again, I really don't know where you'd get a decent 10-15gal brew kettle for less than like $150, much less the entire system for $70.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:55 AM  
bja

Butler, Pa
Quote:
Yeah, if you're doing 10 gal. all-grain batches, I'm less surprised by the $8/case and much more surprised by the $70 for your whole system. Again, I really don't know where you'd get a decent 10-15gal brew kettle for less than like $150, much less the entire system for $70.
I never said that my system cost $70. Actually I have no idea what I've spent for everything, but I've seen 8 gallon pots sell for $20 and 5 gallon beverage coolers that can be used as a mash tun for $20, so I'm sure it can be done.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:28 PM  

Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
I never said that my system cost $70. Actually I have no idea what I've spent for everything, but I've seen 8 gallon pots sell for $20 and 5 gallon beverage coolers that can be used as a mash tun for $20, so I'm sure it can be done.
I see. I'm just in the process of upgrading to a 10 gal all-grain system, and everything seems to cost a lot more than that. So I was very interested in hearing about it if you had leads on cheap quality stuff for all-grain. At this point, I still have to get a brew kettle (looking for 15 gal), and it's looking like the least sturdy ones are still like $125, and then it would cost another $25 or so to get a ball valve to put on it. And nicer ones go up to $300+. I guess it was wishful thinking that you might actually know a place to get one for <$70.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:37 PM  
bja

Butler, Pa
A friend has one of these. pretty nice for the price. If you take care of it, should last forever.

60 QT. ALUMINUM POT W/BASKET - Agri Supply
Old 02-09-2011, 07:33 AM  

Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
I see. I'm just in the process of upgrading to a 10 gal all-grain system, and everything seems to cost a lot more than that. So I was very interested in hearing about it if you had leads on cheap quality stuff for all-grain. At this point, I still have to get a brew kettle (looking for 15 gal), and it's looking like the least sturdy ones are still like $125, and then it would cost another $25 or so to get a ball valve to put on it. And nicer ones go up to $300+. I guess it was wishful thinking that you might actually know a place to get one for <$70.
I bought a turkey deep fryer to use for this. I found mine on craigslist for $20 still new in the box. Mine is like this one, but with a drain valve already installed. I Think it's 32 Quart, so not quite as big as you're looking for, but maybe something to consider if you're on a budget.

Amazon.com: 32 Qt. Turkey Fryer Kit: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Turkey Fryer 30 QT.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.