I, along with a couple of my classmates, are researching about the current crime rates and in the Pittsburgh South Side area. Our group is focused on the aspect of foot patrol at night, when crimes under the influence are at their highest levels. Proposals have been made to increase foot patrol officers and their power in South Side, but we're interested in other opinions on the matter.
We've begun to collect a lot of information from police officials and business owners, but we really would like for any South Side residents (current or not) to provide some personal insight on how street crime and the presence of foot patrol affect your daily lives. Everything submitted will be greatly appreciated!
Some questions to consider:
- What do you think should be done to deter crime?
- How have you experienced crime, and how common is it close to you?
- Do you notice an influx in crime in the late night/early morning hours?
- How successful do you think City Council is in combating crime and disruption?
- Should the bars and restaurants of the South Side become involved with reducing issues caused by their clients? If so, to what extent?
- Do you think that increased police foot patrol could decrease some of the crime and conflict? If no, why?
- Do you feel safer when officers patrol on foot? Why?