Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon > Portland
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2010, 04:17 PM  

Portland, Oregon
I have a cascade, willamette and brewer's gold planted in my front yard. I'll probably be expanding by 3 more plants next season. If you have the acreage, go for it. Just don't expect a ton of production your first year. It takes a while to get established.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:57 PM  

Portland, OR
Hey there, I'm a Portland area homebrewer. In the process of building an all new electric brew rig.

What LHBS does everyone use? I have been frequenting Brew Brothers in Hillsboro.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:49 PM  

Portland, Oregon
I use FH Steinbart for the most part. I've been to Let's Brew and the beer supply store in OC. FH Steinbart just seems to be the largest and have the most extensive amount of supplies. What are you using to make your electric set up?
Old 11-29-2010, 11:35 AM  

Boring (near Portland), Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlauman View Post
I have a cascade, willamette and brewer's gold planted in my front yard. I'll probably be expanding by 3 more plants next season. If you have the acreage, go for it. Just don't expect a ton of production your first year. It takes a while to get established.
What "variety" of hop would you recommend a newbie to plant first? And do you think it's better/easier to start with several plants, or to plant them one by one, adding a little bit each year?
Old 11-29-2010, 11:37 AM  

Boring (near Portland), Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger View Post
Hey there, I'm a Portland area homebrewer. In the process of building an all new electric brew rig.

What LHBS does everyone use? I have been frequenting Brew Brothers in Hillsboro.

I tend to go to FH steinbart's the most-the store is the most comprehensive by far, but their hours are pretty inconvenient for most people, but I have fridays off, so I usually stock up on friday and brew over the weekend.

If I need something during the weekend I go to Let's Brew.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 PM  

St.Helens, Oregon
I plan to soon. The stand is built and now working on the chiller.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:26 PM  

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjacki View Post
What "variety" of hop would you recommend a newbie to plant first? And do you think it's better/easier to start with several plants, or to plant them one by one, adding a little bit each year?
I'm not a pro hop botanist, so I'm not sure what your strategy should be. I started with 3 last year with limited success (which is expected the 1st year). I'll be expanding by 3-4 more this year. Whatever you do, choose an area that doesn't disturb their root structure. We had moderate construction near one of the plants and it died off in mid-summer (it still had green near the base, so I'm assuming it'll come back this next spring). Sufficient watering and pest control are also important factors. Don't bite off more than you can chew, aka, don't plant 50 plants if you don't have the time.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:49 PM  

Vancouver, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlauman View Post
Have you thought about joining the Oregon Brew Crew, shabadoo? I'm interested in meeting local homebrewers as well and it looks like this is the best option... I'm asking for a membership to the club for Christmas. Hopefully the girlfriend comes through on this, otherwise I'll be signing up in early January.
plato republic, a yahoo group, is free and it has lots of local homebrewers
Old 12-01-2010, 01:55 PM  

Vancouver, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger View Post

I go to Baders in Vancouver. or online to northernbrewer.com
Old 12-04-2010, 03:03 PM  

Portland, OR
Yep. Brew a lot. 30 gallons fermenting right now - Celebration Clone, Obsidian Clone and my first lager.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon > Portland
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.