Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon > Portland
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2010, 07:05 PM  

Portland, Oregon
:ranton: Portland Terrorism

I am very curious as to whether or not any fellow PDX'ers had information on the 'terrorist attack' at the Pioneer Courthouse Square tree lighting ceremony.

Personally I find the timing convenient (being in the middle of heated debate on airport searches and civil rights) and I am surprised that there are NO personal videos of any of this misadventure.

I was not there and may certainly mistaken in my suspicions. I am looking for information from people who do know more than me.

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2010, 07:29 PM  

Portland, OR
What? I didn't even hear about it until just now, so I can't contribute, but it sounds like it was pretty foolish. I mean seriously, they gave the guy a fake bomb and let him drive it to the event? Crazy! What if he'd figured it out and just decided to go on a shooting spree or had managed to turn it into a real bomb?

Old 11-27-2010, 09:51 PM  

It may have to do with the courts refusal to prosecute until a crime has actually been committed....but it's just a guess.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:07 AM  

Portland, Oregon
Actually

According to the FBI documents, this kid had committed several federal terrorism crimes, as defined under the Patriot Act, as well as other serious non-patriot act crimes before the end of September.

He probably should have been in jail two months ago instead of out where he puts the public at risk.

The latest story actually sheds some light on why the FBI waited. Because of this horrible plot, Portland is considering re-joining the Joint Terrorism Task Force, even though most of the JTTF activities are illegal under Oregon law.

Without the FBI stage managed 'close call', rejoining the JTTF would never even make it to the city council.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:11 PM  

La Grande, Oregon
Terrorism

Anymore, I don't believe most of what is said by anyone speaking for any government agency. We need to focus on what is going on behind the curtain and not listen to the mighty Oz telling us to be afraid.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:03 PM  

La Grande, Oregon
Terrorism

My other thought on terrorism is that, for us citizens, it is much about nothing because there is nothing we can do except refuse to be afraid.
We can also quit using airlines for recreational travel until this stupidity stops. We live in the Pacific Northwest so there is no need to travel far to do and see many wonderful things.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:12 PM  

La Grande, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMark View Post
According to the FBI documents, this kid had committed several federal terrorism crimes, as defined under the Patriot Act, as well as other serious non-patriot act crimes before the end of September.

He probably should have been in jail two months ago instead of out where he puts the public at risk.

The latest story actually sheds some light on why the FBI waited. Because of this horrible plot, Portland is considering re-joining the Joint Terrorism Task Force, even though most of the JTTF activities are illegal under Oregon law.

Without the FBI stage managed 'close call', rejoining the JTTF would never even make it to the city council.
Is there anything the public can do to influence the city to not join the JTTF? Do the people who decide such things care what we think or how we spend our money?
Old 11-30-2010, 05:43 AM  

Portland, Oregon
Like most things

It's about being noisy and effective.

My questions to the mayor (Twitter, mostly @MayorSamAdams) have asked what changed in the Constitution. Sam Adams voted to leave the JTTF in 2005 because it was unconstitutional.

If the JTTF was unconstitutional in 2005, how can it be legal now?

That's my drum, and anyone who likes it can beat it too.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon > Portland
Bookmark this Page!