CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   Indianapolis (http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/indianapolis/)
-   -   What to do in Indy? (http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/indianapolis/what-do-indy-2616/)

Otahyoni 09-16-2010 07:28 PM

What to do in Indy?

For those of you who live in or near Indy, what is there to do?

Here's your chance to promote your area.

JCJ 09-16-2010 07:52 PM

I would highly recommend visiting the Speedway Museum and or attending the 500.

Hall of Fame Museum - Indianapolis Motor Speedway

IMHO, the track put the city on the map..

Otahyoni 09-17-2010 07:39 PM

For those who like animals, there's the Indy Zoo.

There's also the Children's Museum...not just for kids! :D

Ridonkulous 09-24-2010 12:17 AM

I had a great list typed out and it somehow lost it/logged me out :(

I was gonna start with a List of Free things, Heres the condensed version.

-IMA-Indianapolis Museum of Art-Free amazing art museum, tons of nice gardens and areas to walk, new 100 acres park.
-Canal Walk/White River State Park
-The Monon Trail-Walk, Run, Bike, Whatever, with family, pets, friends through great areas with great food/bars/some stores
-Crackers Comedy Club-Downtown and Broad Ripple, Free Tuesdays with Internet coupon and call ahead reservation (2 item minimum approx $20 for a couple, not free but very fun)

Tomorrow I will post details of what I know to do around Indy including non-free things.

Ceejus 09-28-2010 02:13 PM

Zoo, Children's Museum, Melody Inn, Steer Inn, The Rathskellar and it's large beers.

greenacres2 10-07-2010 09:07 AM

Not an Indy resident, but there often....

Echoing the prior post:
Great zoo.
Children's museum is awsesome.
The IMS Museum may be one of the best values in town.

Overlooked:
The variety of sports in the area--swimming, bicycling, ect. Great high school sports too.

O'Reilly Raceway Park--Yes, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is known world-wide, and the "Indy 500" is a huge event. O'Reilly Raceway Park hosts a NASCAR truck and Nationwide event, the biggest NHRA drag race in the country every Labor Day, along with several huge regional events each year. Almost every weekend the local drag racing series would be worth the price of admission--very competitive racing. Same cars you can see on "Pinks All Out" but for $10. This weekend is the last public event of the season--"The Fall Classic"--weather will be perfect and the track should be in great shape.

earl

txjake 10-14-2010 08:23 AM

Broadripple Brew Pub, Mike & Ike's, Monon Trail, Broadripple area in general, the Civil War museum in the monument downtown

Captain_Morgan 10-14-2010 08:44 AM

If you want to see the speedway and the drag strip you need to go to Speedway Indiana, not Indy, it's about a 30 minutes (or more with traffic) drive to speedway.

jamie12 10-15-2010 05:40 AM

Hanna Haunted acres is a great place to go right now.

bulldogxray 11-01-2010 04:20 PM

The Rathskellar
a nice cigar bar nicky blains
Scotties brewpub
rock bottom has great crafted beer

StLouisCardsFan 11-07-2010 09:35 PM

I can vouch for Scotties Brewpub, good variety on the food menu! :D
I can vouch for Rock Bottom, excellent crafted ales as well as large variety of food!! :D

brrman 11-16-2010 05:45 AM

Barley Island is a great brew pub as well - really friendly bartender.
Melting Pot is a good restaurant to take the lady.
Barcelona is a good tapas restaurant downtown.

bulldogxray 11-16-2010 04:53 PM

I also like oaken barrel they have great beer.

bulldogxray 11-16-2010 04:59 PM

There is a new BBQ place that opened up in green wood called circle city bbq. It is pretty good. I like it better when we are bringing it home. If I am going to sit down and eat bbq I like famous daves

adnilee 11-19-2010 03:41 AM

Music Mill

Has anyone seen a show at the Music Mill lately? It seems to have different owners every time I go. Is the food still good?

countryboy 12-08-2010 07:49 AM

Indiana

Their is lots to do in Indy!
Just check out Indiana follow the link below.
INDIANA
INDIANA

LoneWolfPR 12-08-2010 01:39 PM

There's also the Sun King Brewing Company tasting room. Amazing beer.

Beach31684 12-08-2010 04:44 PM

Shallo's bar right next to the Greenwood Park Mall has a HUGE selection of great tasting beer. And there is a great new place, (shameless plug) called Bier Brewery up on 65th street off of Binford Blvd. He just opened and has done a great job with it!:congrats:

Beach31684 12-10-2010 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulldogxray (Post 38408)
There is a new BBQ place that opened up in green wood called circle city bbq. It is pretty good.

:iagree: I do love City BBQ! I dont think it is called Circle City BBQ though. Their brush fire sauce is out of this world delicious!

cyclist4d 12-17-2010 09:12 AM

In the spring/summer, the Indianapolis Indians, AAA Minor League baseball team at Victory Field makes for a great day for any ages - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Indianapolis Indians Homepage

integrator 12-21-2010 04:43 PM

Beer:
Broad Ripple Brewpub
Sun King
Brugge Brasserie
Oaken Barrel
Upland Tasting Room
Barley Island

Chains:
Rock Bottom
Alcatraz
The Ram

Rathskeller is a great place (Sun King makes their Amber)

topcon74 12-22-2010 12:37 PM

A trip to the top of the soldiers and sailors monument is always a unique thing to do. Its the monument at the center of the circle downtown. I've been here a while and didn't know until recently that you could go to the top.

topcon74 12-22-2010 12:38 PM

Another interesting and kind of unknown place is the war museum on the war memorial park just north of down town, it has an amazing room in the center of it. Its a breathtaking spot that few people have heard about.

bparks85 12-27-2010 09:49 AM

if you have kids (or just want to have a little fun) go to the children's museum in indianapolis

C140 12-28-2010 03:20 PM

How is the speedway museum?

adpritz 12-28-2010 05:20 PM

Indy Restaurants

Kona Jacks - great seafood and sushi
Mama Carollas - great Italian (not a chain and in an old house near broadripple)
Oakley's Bistro - great fancy food that is very unique

kitz 12-28-2010 07:16 PM

Several notable museums downtown attract both tourists and locals! The Indiana State Museum on W. Washington Street has great visiting exhibits as well as interesting regular sections. From "the Titanic" to "Star Wars" and local Indiana History this is a great place for a family, for a date, or just to satisfy curiosity.

hamper 02-01-2011 01:07 PM

the speedrome, lots of figure 8 fun...

Beach31684 02-03-2011 10:19 AM

Mud-a-thon

I just found out about an event called The Mudathon. It is supposed to be in Indy, I think in June this year. It sounds pretty fun. It is basically a 5K run competely in the mud, with an obstacle course.
I guess the way it works is, at the end, you are suppose to donate your shoes to the group that runs the event, and they clean the shoes, and give them to the less fortunate.

And of course there is beer afterwards!!!!:banana:

apocalypse 02-18-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach31684 (Post 78854)
I just found out about an event called The Mudathon. It is supposed to be in Indy, I think in June this year. It sounds pretty fun. It is basically a 5K run competely in the mud, with an obstacle course.
I guess the way it works is, at the end, you are suppose to donate your shoes to the group that runs the event, and they clean the shoes, and give them to the less fortunate.

And of course there is beer afterwards!!!!:banana:

I did the Warrior Dash last year in Illinois, sounds like the same thing and it was a blast!