CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   Des Moines (http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/des-moines/)
-   -   Micro Breweries in Des Moines? (http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/des-moines/micro-breweries-des-moines-4923/)

RonRock 11-18-2010 08:36 AM

Micro Breweries in Des Moines?

I'm going to be in Des Moines on Sunday. I'll have a few hours to waste, so thought maybe I'd find a local Micro Brew. Anybody know of any?

bh10 11-18-2010 11:42 AM

IMO, Id skip the Micro's and go to either the Royal Mile or El Bait Shop, but if you're set on a micro do Court Ave Brewery over Racoon

Zalaster 11-19-2010 12:13 PM

I'd actually skip the Des Moines breweries and go north up 35 about half an hour and go to Olde Main in Ames

Moe 11-20-2010 06:39 AM

If you must stay in Des Moines, I agree with previous poster to hit Court over Racoon River. If you have a little more time and transportaion, Olde Main in Ames is better yet. And though i've not been there, if you can squeeze extra time, Peace Tree Brewing in Knoxville is supposed to be quite fun. Their a small Micro Brewery that use theri 4-5 typical brews on tap, but they do alot of experime4ntation, and these experiments are on tap in their tap room. They don't sertve food, but allow you to bring food in from town restaurants, and I here many local restaurants will deliver to the tap room,,,,,,,,, Now I want to go down there this weekend ;-)

Another non-microbrewery (downtlown in same area as Court) is the Hessan House. Alot of German beers and german inspired food.

-Moe

kanderna 11-20-2010 07:53 PM

+1 on Olde Main and Court

kanderna 11-20-2010 07:53 PM

There's also a Rock Bottom and Granite City if you're into that...

Bashiba 11-22-2010 03:39 PM

-1 on Old Main

Maybe they have good food there, I don't know. But as a huge beer nerd, their beer makes me sad and embarrassed for them.

tehsumo 11-22-2010 09:20 PM

Has anyone went to the Hub city brewery?

dblvsn 11-22-2010 09:32 PM

You really can't go wrong with Court Ave or Raccoon River. If you like Belgium style beers, Court ave usually has a couple. There is a Rock Bottom out in West Des Moines but the service always sucks. Granite City is also in West Des Moines but not your traditional brewery as the wort is trucked in. They just ferment the beer at the restaurant. Beer is ok. I wouldn't recommend driving out of your way to Olde Main. Their beer just isn't worth it.

bh10 11-23-2010 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashiba (Post 42281)
-1 on Old Main

Maybe they have good food there, I don't know. But as a huge beer nerd, their beer makes me sad and embarrassed for them.

x2, IMO their beer is terrible.

Peacetree in Knoxville, is an awesome little place with great beer, just a little far from Des Moines. And they're only open Thrus-Sunday.