CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   Eastern North Carolina (http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/eastern-north-carolina/)
-   -   where to drive my cherokee 4x4 (http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/eastern-north-carolina/where-drive-my-cherokee-4x4-8334/)

wbp101594 01-31-2011 11:20 AM

where to drive my cherokee 4x4

Where can you drive my jeep in eastern nc

Sarahdactyl 01-31-2011 12:28 PM

Depending how far you want to drive you can go to Uwharrie. They have a lot of offroad trials. It's in Troy, NC.

Sal-XK 02-03-2011 01:28 PM

Carolina beach is a awesome place to camp and hang out if you have a 4X4 I highly recommend that place. Not so much for the off road stuff but camping feet from the surf watching people get stuck all night its fun.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_o...640/Beach2.jpg

cbordea 02-03-2011 06:24 PM

The green swamp has miles and miles of dirt roads and some of them are rough and some of them have locked gates. You might want to find a map or take a GPS with you.

DrewM 02-09-2011 03:58 PM

Carolina Backwoods is about the only real ORV park in Southeastern NC.

Frankdozier 02-10-2011 09:28 AM

North beach four wheelin

Corolla on the northern beaches on the obx have some great beach driving. You can also explore corova beach and north swan beach. 4x4 is required to get there and the roads are extremly challenging at times. You have to watch the tides as well because the beach you have to use to get there are impassable on extreme high tides.

gwar11d2 02-23-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal-XK (Post 78972)
Carolina beach is a awesome place to camp and hang out if you have a 4X4 I highly recommend that place. Not so much for the off road stuff but camping feet from the surf watching people get stuck all night its fun.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_o...640/Beach2.jpg

I agree, Carolina Beech is a lot of fun. If you have your valid NC Ocean/Surf fishing licence you can take up up the North end of Topsail and a bunch of other places too. Jeeps and fishing are an expensive habit, but luckily a decent cooler, ice and beer don't cost too much :)

socar 02-23-2011 07:59 PM

You can also head up into Virginia and go to Shoe Creek. It is up near Lowesville VA. It is a great trail that is good for stock all the way up to hard core. I recommend it Highly

sdsteele 02-23-2011 08:06 PM

Ocracoke all the way!!!!

sdsteele 02-23-2011 08:21 PM

oooh....meant to ask...at Carolina you can camp right on the beach????

Sal-XK 02-24-2011 06:39 AM

Get your Carolina beach permit before March 31st (edited wrong date sorry) and save $40 it's $60 right now but goes up to $100 after the first. Yes you can camp right on the beach you can't stay over 14 consecutive days without permission. But get your permit and pretty much stay all you want.

cbordea 02-24-2011 12:31 PM

is it like that every year or are they just going up? You can also get a daily pass for $10 or so right?

Sal-XK 02-24-2011 01:31 PM

It went up last year. And the day pass is $20 or it was last year I don't think that got raised. The hundred dollar thing was new last year just buy early and your good. Fires require a fire ring I forgot to mention that. Fires were illegal for a year or two so use the ring and take your mess with you so they don't have an excuse to take it away again

Sal-XK 02-27-2011 09:57 AM

I made a mistake earlier you have until March 31 not March 1st to get your permit for $60 then it shoots up to $100 for the season. It still will cost you $20 a day without a permit so spend one weekend there and it pays for itself. But if you stay one weekend your probably going to go back so the permit is worth it. Lots of people show up there from all backgrounds. Family's show up to camp, the younger ones show up to drink and party I've never had an issue with them, tones of people fishing and so on. What ever your plans are you will fit in have fun.

cbordea 02-27-2011 07:03 PM

ok, the last time we went it was free. We had an explorer and the guy in front of us stopped to lock in his hubs and we were done. I was a newbie and hadn't aired down, running 235/15's etc. It also looked like the dunes had pretty much washed over to the sound side. When I had been there before the sound side was hard packed and the beach side was hard, just the crossings were tricky. I haven't been back since likely 98. Next time we'll go with a partner to make sure someone can pull us out if we get stuck. Now I have wider tires and will air down :-)

Sal-XK 02-28-2011 05:49 AM

I don't remember it being free I know sometimes the entrance is not attended but your suppose to pay. The beach has been real thick lately no compacted sand except at the water. But you should be good just air down to at least 22PSI and carry a shovel and no worries if you do get stuck don't dig your self in with a bunch of tire spin. Just get out and dig a little you'll be good

cbordea 02-28-2011 08:11 AM

Sal, we went down by Fort Fisher when we went back in the late 90's, are you talking about the north end? Never been there.

Sal-XK 02-28-2011 12:38 PM

No talking about Carolina beach AKA Freeman park. Yes it's north of fort fisher

cbordea 03-01-2011 08:39 AM

ok, the last time we went was on the south end past fort fisher, never been on the north end.

Sal-XK 03-01-2011 08:47 AM

I think the north end is considered more of the party side. But I think thats just because you can drink on the beach. Fort fisher I believe is federal property which means no alcohol but you would have to look that up I'm going of memory here nit the best thing to do LOL.

cbordea 03-02-2011 06:31 AM

gotcha Sal, we don't drink or really want to be around too much partying (esp with the kids) so the Fort Fisher end might be the best for us anyway.

Sal-XK 03-02-2011 06:44 AM

It might be the best for you. I drink a little bit while out there I'm not young by anymeans anymore and I bring my kids out there. Like unsaid earlier I've never had an issue with the younger crowd they seem to clump together and I just keep going past them. There are plenty of families out there so just check them both out and see which one is best for you. Carolina beach has vendors out there you can buy ice wood ice cream pizza all kinds of stuff I'm not sure about fort fisher maybe some one familiar with that beach can jump in here. I never been to that one I went to Freeman park and just loved it so that's where I go. If you go to fort fisher post up a report for everyone.

cbordea 03-03-2011 12:13 PM

will do, unless something changed there was nothing at Ft Fisher except sand, water and rocks.

cbordea 03-03-2011 12:14 PM

BTW, Fort Fisher is $12 per day,$50 per year.
http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/f...s/4x4_prmt.pdf

Sal-XK 03-03-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbordea (Post 90332)
BTW, Fort Fisher is $12 per day,$50 per year.
http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/f...s/4x4_prmt.pdf

Whats with all the hours on there? Do they lock you in after a certain time? I'm assuming its laid out where your at least camping at the edge of the surf or no? Do they have toilets there on the beach? Just curious how there laid out over there.

cbordea 03-05-2011 07:47 PM

the last time I went I don't remember anything. There was a gate at the end of the road before you got to the dunes. Seems like there was a cabana or something in the parking lot that might have had showers and RR etc. I remember you started out on the waterway side and had to cut through the dunes to get to the ocean side. They had cutouts and such every 100 yards or so where you could get from one side to the other. Other than that I don't remember too much. It's been a long time.

Sal-XK 03-05-2011 10:27 PM

I'll be out the beach a lot this summer as usual. I'm usually the only one in this color lifted XK with a roof basket you cant miss me I take up a lot of room. Feel free to swing on in and say hi if you see me.

cbordea 03-07-2011 06:34 AM

will do, we have a pewter-gray Trailblazer.

JJROCKSTAR 05-02-2011 01:24 PM

Does anyone know of a place in northern NC to go 4x4 and camp on the beach? North of Nags Head or in Nags Head?

cbordea 05-03-2011 06:30 AM

Not sure about up that far but you can go to Cape Lookout/Portsmouth Island. You have to take a ferry ($75) to get over there. I talked to a guy who has done several of those trips and sounds like they are a blast.

JJROCKSTAR 05-05-2011 08:32 AM

Thank's for the information Ill check it out.

puddlepirate 10-28-2014 06:14 PM

Are the Beaches in OBX open now. Where do I get permits and such.