Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2010, 12:16 PM  

raleigh, nc
For or Against Tolls of I-540

I'm interested in seeing how many people are for or against having Tolls on the new section of I-540 on the southside of raleigh.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:52 AM  

Elizabeth City, NC
I understand the reason for them but cant stand them so I say no to tolls.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:17 PM  

Raleigh, NC
no way to the tolls. it'd be cheaper to increase taxes across the board by just a little than to charge people for going to the blockbuster at strickland and six forks who just want to get back to leesville road.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:25 AM  

Apex, nC
only part of it is going to be tolls... the next section to be built is coming RIGHT next to my apartment
Old 10-20-2010, 08:18 AM  

Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygruven View Post
no way to the tolls. it'd be cheaper to increase taxes across the board by just a little than to charge people for going to the blockbuster at strickland and six forks who just want to get back to leesville road.
Good news, since they took federal funds, if you notice the older part of 540 has a different sign indicator, (aka interstate vs local rd) they can not add tolls to the northern portion. The only way to build the rest of it any time soon is with tolls. I don't care either way, as I'll just avoid it.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:19 AM  

Fuquay Varina, North Carolina
I think that is is unfair that southern portion wake county has to pay a toll but the northern part gets a free ride.

I will not use the toll road for any reason. I commute from Fuquay varina to RTP every day.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 PM  

Raleigh, North Carolina
RE

I would hate it.It would lead to higher traffic on secondary roads from people wanting to avoid them like me. The tax payers paid for the roads and then have to pay again to use them, meanwhile I still pay property tax, inspection and redgistration. There talking high speed rail by 2035 too. Pfft
Old 11-01-2010, 11:36 AM  

Raleigh, NC
Against but I'm in Clayton so I would just bypass it when it rolls across 70 but I think it's BS since the northern part isn't toll.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:08 PM  

Cary, NC
The road needs to be built, and tolls are the only way to do it. I'd rather they cut spending elsewhere, but that's not likely anytime soon.

If you don't want to use the toll road, don't. It will still improve traffic on the other roads.

I need to see how much time it will save me each day to decide if it's worth the toll. Probably will be, definitely will when the southern leg is built.

flamtap
Old 11-16-2010, 06:25 PM  

Holly Springs, NC
The only way to get the road built before the Feds would be able to fund it was as a toll road. However I question the amount of the tolls and also why the fat cats in North Raleigh could get their road for free. As a former resident of the Chicago area where toll roads are very common, I can't stand them. Especially since the tolls on the roads in Chicago were to come off once the bonds were paid for. I'm not sure who the bondholders are but I would be willing to bet my house that they have been paid off over the past 55 years.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill
Bookmark this Page!