Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2010, 12:25 PM  

Cary, NC
Hotpoint cafe, the one in Cary by southills, not the one at north hills. Awesome food, dont let the looks fool you.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:40 PM  

Raleigh, NC
The Roast Grill on West Street in Raleigh. Go there.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 AM  

Morrisville, NC
The Federal in Durham is supposed to have some killer food for a dive bar. Never eaten there, but the menu sure does look impressive.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 PM  

Mebane, NC
The Allen in Son close to Pittsboro is good. The Allen and Son in Hillsborough/Chapel Hill is not.

Nancys Grill in Mebane has phenomenal burgers and fries
Old 12-16-2010, 03:57 PM  

Raleigh, NC
Poole's in downtown raleigh is really unsuspecting, but has an AMAZING rotating menu, and has been featured in food magazine and gourmet magazine
Old 12-17-2010, 07:32 AM  

Durham, NC
Papa Mojos in southern Durham on Highway 55, great little bar and great authentic Creole / Cajun food. Some really good shrimp and grits.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:00 PM  

for bbq try dixie bells in cary (very near the apex side) on davis just north of the hwy 64 ramps.

if you don't already know about it also try ole time bbq on chatam in between cary and raleigh. (they recently changed their sides options to strange things but maybe it's good for you. i stopped going there though. bbq is great though)
Old 12-21-2010, 04:06 AM  

Apex, NC
Real Barbecue in Eastern North Carolina Hard to Find

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconJack View Post
I was thinking of asking just about good barbeque joints but I love any sort of dive with unexpectedly food.
There have been a number of Eastern North Carolina barbecue places recommended to me from people, but the vast majority of them, some of the most famous ones, don't even have a real pit. They use propane to cook the meat, especially at the pig pickins you will inevitably be invited to in the area. I can't believe they call the product from these establishments barbecue, and I can't understand how these places have been able to stay in business. Oh well, to each his own. Give me smoke!

I resorted to making my own barbecue. Great fun if you enjoy cooking and well worth the moderate effort and minimal expense.

You'll be hard pressed to find brisket being cooked around here. Dixie Bells is about the only place I've been that has a decent one.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:00 AM  

Raleigh, NC
Eastern NC Barbbecue is the real barbecue. The problem is Raleigh and Chapel Hill is not far enough east. Take a drive to Wilson and try Bill Ellis's, to Goldsboro and hit Willbur's or Scotts (look for Scott's sauce at the food Lion) or to Greenville and try Parker's this is real Eastern NC barbecue.

Allen & Son's is the best in the triangle and they still cook on Hickory
Old 12-21-2010, 07:16 PM  

Raleigh, NC
Smokey's shack in Morrisville is great. I ate there today. Love the brisket.

Smokey's BBQ Shack

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill
Bookmark this Page!