Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2010, 12:09 PM  

Raleigh, NC
Earthlink?

Anyone have any experience with them? I've heard they are exactly the same as time warner (same lines and everything) but usually cheaper.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:11 PM  

Downtown Durham, NC
I'm using Earthlink for my internet access. We dropped cable in May after it got too expensive (our promo ended, and they wanted $140 a month for cable + internet for $65 for internet only).

We're paying $30 a month for the first 6 months, and then after that it is only $40 a month. It is exactly the same as Time Warner Roadrunner-- bills even come from Time Warner. You get the same service, speed, and support, but for a lower price and with no contract.

I definitely recommend it. Unfortunately, Time Warner RoadRunner is the only high speed option in Durham.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:57 PM  

Raleigh, NC
Great info, thanks! I'll call this week.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:37 PM  

Raleigh, NC
i have had good experience with them in the past, definitely cheaper than cable.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:38 PM  

Raleigh, North Carolina
Earthlink is no good. I would recommend getting the AT&T u-verse if its available in your neighborhood. Way better prices for TV/cable/phone/internet as well as better bandwidth (for now) over the competitors.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:08 PM  

Raleigh, NC
Earthlink is better in some respects than TWC RoadRunner cable internet.

TWC RoadRUnner has benefits: a PowerBoost feature which gives brief seconds of speed boost during heavy activity; rolling out DOCSIS3 and will upgrade users of Standard and Turbo to 10 and 15Mbps for free. Already completed in Charlotte area - Raleigh then Greensboro will begin within next few months.

OTOH: Earthlink benefits if you experience the "5oclock rush hour slowdowns". Their ip traffic is managed through different proxy servers. I don't know the details, but do know that my rush hour slowdowns completely vanished the day I switched- a few years ago.

IMO - YMMV
Old 12-20-2010, 06:22 PM  

Raleigh, NC
I have been using Earthlink through TW for several years. I am billed and serviced by TW, but I have Earthlink service. I pay $41.95 month and have been pretty happy with the service.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:24 AM  

Raleigh, NC
IMO
Don't jump onto the UVerse train.
There is no going back to regular DSL or regular phone after the switch. Therefore the 30 day trial is not applicable after they spend 6 hours rewiring your home. Then you are stuck through the contract term.
Have spoken to some that are happy with the service and others who are quite the opposite. Half my neighbors who switched to UVerse have since switched back to another provider even though they had to eat the early termination fee.
Do you own due diligence to make an informed decision.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:51 AM  

Raleigh, NC
I have had Earthlink for years and have no major problem. The only compalint is most problems end up being on TWC's end to repair.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:57 PM  

Cary, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solly View Post
I have been using Earthlink through TW for several years. I am billed and serviced by TW, but I have Earthlink service. I pay $41.95 month and have been pretty happy with the service.
Same here. I have been with them for at least 6 yrs now, and have they have never asked me to pay more than what I signed up for.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads