Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2010, 08:46 AM  

Wake Forest, Wake Forest
Oh, a couple other places are:

Goose Creek Resort near the coast in Swansboro, NC. (252) 393-2628
You can park a large trailer (full hookup) temporarily or arrange for a more permanent site, pitch a tent or popup, enjoy Fri. and Sat. music events, let the kids spend a few hours on the long (did I mention FREE) water slide, there is dock access, fishing pier, basketball/volleyball courts, a heated bathhouse, pets allowed (leash law in effect) and have easy access to the beach. This is a family favorite for obvious reasons. To avoid high coastal canoe rentals, we rented 8 canoes at REI, arrived at Goose Creek, and enjoyed a group weekend with friends paddling around the Sound and then out to the beach for lunch and a swim. *two thumbs up*

Also along the NC coastline; Hammocks Beach State Park
3 miles of unique and unspoiled barrier island offering salt marsh and large mobile sand dunes. I think Bear Island dates back to about 2,000 B.C. when the ocean level dropped about 90 feet where it was later inhabited by indians using wood carved canoes to get about. Great for a day visit or overnight tenting. There are no stores nor water sources so go prepared.

Whether heading to the mountains for the Fall colors, Halloween events, or the gorgeous location in general - check out Grandfather Campground any time of the year located in Boone, NC. Allowing full size trailers, tenting, cabin rentals and pets. Bath houses with laundry, campfires, utilities, and quick easy access to anywhere you want to go within the surrounding area. I'm all for camping in the woods, but when taking it down a notch for all the family and/or friends just for sheer enjoyment of getting out together - I expect Grandfather Campground to become one of your favorites as well.

Linville Gorge
What's not to say about Linville except to expect the basics yet with that expected beauty the western part of our state offers. Like to go basic? Grab a couple of adventurous friends and pack in your food, water, rations, etc. and become one with nature.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:22 PM  

Raleigh, NC
I've been camping a few times at falls lake. There's a boat landing and a man made beach. I've always liked taking our canoe and fishing. It's also very close if you live in Raleigh or Durham.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 AM  

Apex, nC
im gonna have to agree with you on Jordan and Carolina... Jordan is close to the house but Carolina beach is a different animal. its a great listening to the waves crash at night
Old 10-19-2010, 11:44 AM  

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
I haven't camped at Uwharrie yet...possibly this weekend. I see people camping all over the trail there.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:33 PM  

Chapel Hill, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Ockert View Post
Oh, a couple other places are:
Also along the NC coastline; Hammocks Beach State Park
3 miles of unique and unspoiled barrier island offering salt marsh and large mobile sand dunes. I think Bear Island dates back to about 2,000 B.C. when the ocean level dropped about 90 feet where it was later inhabited by indians using wood carved canoes to get about. Great for a day visit or overnight tenting. There are no stores nor water sources so go prepared.
Absolutely this. I went in March and there were literally no other people on the island, which was really cool. Also, you can kayak out there, which I didn't do but plan on doing next time.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:16 AM  

Fayetteville, NC
Uwharrie was a great place to camp. I like the primitive camping better than the sites
Old 11-19-2010, 09:42 AM  

Morrow Mountain State Park in the Uwharrie is great. Fort Fisher on the coast. It's cheap!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:02 AM  
ishkochito

Pittsboro, NC, North Carolina
In NC the mountains are amazing, but you gotta see Linville Gorge- like nothing else in the state (although you need a permit in advance for backpack/camping inside the gorge), and only about 3 hours away. There are campgrounds along the rim for more or less car camping.

Also, Uhwarries are great and can be accessed from triangle in a couple hours.

Dog friendly beach destinations: Carolina Beach SP is nice, Frisco at the Outer Banks is even better.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:07 PM  

Raleigh, NC
Hanging Rock is the best hiking/camping in driving distance. Amazing views and an awesome water fall.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:45 PM  

When I was a kid, my parents always took me to Dan Nicholas Park, down towards Salisbury. Nice place w/ lots to entertain kids (petting zoo, paddle boats, mini golf, etc, etc)

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads