Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Real Estate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2011, 04:47 PM  
Beast Mode

Independence, Kentucky
tips for a first time home buyer?

Getting married later this year, so in that, i will be Moving out of my parents house. Due to my hobbies (jeeps and quads) an apartement really is not feasible for me. if i have to, yes i will move into one and rent a storage building to keep my crap in, but would love to have my own place, and figure with the market how it is, no better time to buy a house anyway.

have not even really begun a search yet. looked online at a few house but have not taken any steps to even contact a realator about anything at all.

Any tips to help a fella out?

Old 01-12-2011, 05:11 PM  

Find out how much you are able to spend. And be prepared for all the unexpected costs of owning a home, such as bills.

Most important of all is to hire a home inspector! A 200$ inspection can point out any problems beforehand. Many people skip this step and then once moved in find costly problems with the home such as mold or a cracked foundation . Problems can easily be avoided with a with a home inspection. With a good inspector you get a lengthy report with pictures of all the possible problems the home may have as well as the general cost to fix the problem.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 PM  
Beast Mode

Independence, Kentucky
well, hopefully getting a sizable raise (30% increase in pay atleast) end of the month. so hard to tell my exact budget till after i get my raise to know what i wll be bringing home.

I am cutting back on spending and trying to see how much i really do spend on an average week as it is and talking to locals about what their bills are so i know what to expect.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 AM  

Some of the bigger costs associated with buying a house are indeed hidden until the deal is done. For instance, if you purchase a $100,000 house, you will probably want (and I recommend) your own inspection. Yes, it probably had an inspection provided, but you want your own to confirm that both inspection reports match. This will run ~$300-$500. You will also need closing costs and commission either you of the seller will have to pay, which usually will run 6%, or $6000.

Some other considerations are possible deposits required to hook up your utilities (natural gas, electricity, telephone, cable and water), and these deposits may be as much as one month's service cost immediately.

The biggest costs associated with a new home purchase are the taxes on the home. Hopefully you paid for escrow insurance, because you will be responsible with any tax liens from the previous owner. This insurance will guarantee this home is free of any of these liens, and save you boatloads of frustrations.

Home buying is great, but don't take these hidden costs lightly. You will probably be forking out money for beer, soda and pizza to have your friends help you move in, and don't forget to compensate them for the cost of gas if they are helping you.

Lastly, when a new home is purchased, you will want to immediately change the locks to the front and rear doors, along with any gates. Immediately get extra keys made, because your utility company and family may need access. Also, don't forget the new floor mats, curtains, sink strainers, toilet scrubbers, floor cleaners, window cleaner and the vacuums!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:56 PM  
Beast Mode

Independence, Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Some of the bigger costs associated with buying a house are indeed hidden until the deal is done. For instance, if you purchase a $100,000 house, you will probably want (and I recommend) your own inspection. Yes, it probably had an inspection provided, but you want your own to confirm that both inspection reports match. This will run ~$300-$500. You will also need closing costs and commission either you of the seller will have to pay, which usually will run 6%, or $6000.

Some other considerations are possible deposits required to hook up your utilities (natural gas, electricity, telephone, cable and water), and these deposits may be as much as one month's service cost immediately.

The biggest costs associated with a new home purchase are the taxes on the home. Hopefully you paid for escrow insurance, because you will be responsible with any tax liens from the previous owner. This insurance will guarantee this home is free of any of these liens, and save you boatloads of frustrations.

Home buying is great, but don't take these hidden costs lightly. You will probably be forking out money for beer, soda and pizza to have your friends help you move in, and don't forget to compensate them for the cost of gas if they are helping you.

Lastly, when a new home is purchased, you will want to immediately change the locks to the front and rear doors, along with any gates. Immediately get extra keys made, because your utility company and family may need access. Also, don't forget the new floor mats, curtains, sink strainers, toilet scrubbers, floor cleaners, window cleaner and the vacuums!

i do have a bit of an advantage in that area however, as my brother bought a house about 1 year ago and just went through al this. he has been helping me with some stuff in the process and has made me more aware of all the hidden cost you may not account for as well.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:03 AM  

It is always better to get some tips that are very useful first and moreover it is very necessary to get complete information about the place or area you have chosen to live. So that one will not get any problem in living in future.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:34 AM  

Don't forget to speak with a financial planner!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:57 AM  

Greenville, SC
I know that when I got my first mortgage I didn't know what PMI was. It is usually required unless you make a certain down payment. Try to avoid PMI if you can (waste of money). Also, I wouldn't do anything other than a fixed rate but that's just me.
Best of luck!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:32 PM  

Nashville, TN
Home inspections are good, but I'd also advise getting a electrican, HVAC and roofer to go take a look at the property prior to making an offer or make any offer contigent on a favorable report. Also set some funds aside for replacement of the roof and Hvac, they usually find a way to go out within months of each other.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:23 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by subs View Post
Don't forget to speak with a financial planner!
Yes, I am completely agree with you here, financial planners are good in helping you out with the best you can invest in buying house.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Real Estate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.