Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Relationships
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2011, 10:18 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Family Reunions

Anyone here have a regular one? My wife has one every year, my family has never had one, well we kind of did, we were all at a wedding taking up one table.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:25 AM  
fustrated genius

We used to have them about once every five yrs or so. Then they quit when we lost our tio a few yrs back,(actually bout 10). He was the main drive behind them and the few after him that tried to sustain them, didn't really quite get it going with any momentum.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:19 PM  

Shuswap, BC
When my last surving grand parent ( My Mom's, Mother) was still alive we had one about every 2 years.
But since she passed away about 14 years ago, its rare for much of the family to get together anymore.
Small groups sometimes, like say a Christmas dinner hosted by an Aunt, but only 40 to 50 people usually come now, not like the Good'ole days.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:46 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
That's what my wife says when 30 people show up to Christmas. "You should of seen it a decade ago, there were 60.".

Last year at my Grandmother's there were 7.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:52 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
i think as our elders start passing on, were gonna see less n less family reunions as a whole. families are smaller and they tend to stick around longer nowadays.

edit: i have NEVER been to a family, class, etc reunion...
Old 05-20-2011, 01:04 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney View Post
i think as our elders start passing on, were gonna see less n less family reunions as a whole. families are smaller and they tend to stick around longer nowadays.

edit: i have NEVER been to a family, class, etc reunion...
Family culture in and of itself seems to be changing as well.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:12 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
We are going to one this summer, there is usually one about 3 to 4 years on my wife's side and for my family it is only when I or my brother go to see my mother in Manitoba, and then that's just a spur of the moment thing. (Both my brother and I live in different provinces and the rest of our family lives in the same area as we grew up.) It is nice to see all of t hem once in a while though.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:27 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
How many people show up?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:16 AM  
fustrated genius

These days there seems to be a decline of family anyways. Divorces, and live togethers & all. It seems that friends, family and other people are all mingled now. There's no bounderies anymore and kids today don't understand the blood ties from the friends, let alone ties through marriage. Most don't understand or put anymore significants about grandparents or uncles/aunts cousins. One of my grandsons said his "aunt so & so" had done this. Well, I know his mother had no siblings, my son only has two brothers, how is he going to have an aunt. They aren't being taught family structure. A prime example is when I was getting a mailbox in a nearby town, and said the "family" was going to be using it so I want to put the "surname" down only. No clue they all would have the same last name or "surname" because it's rare these days.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:44 AM  

Shuswap, BC
I feel another contributing factor is that now relatives move vast distances apart.
Myself, well I only moved a 7 hour drive from where i was raised.
But I have relatives that haved moved thousands of miles away, and to other countries.
Actually my Aunt Lorna that moved to Arkansas about 35 years ago, just passed away this winter.
I have not seen her, or my cousins that are her 2 daughters in about 25 years or so.
Now I wish I had made a point to go visit them, but its rather late now.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Relationships
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.