Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2010, 10:35 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
There are religions that do not write, or, in this case, type the name of God. The biggest of these is Judaism. It's out of respect.

So not telling at all. Perhaps of your ignorance, but nothing else.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 11-01-2010, 10:35 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
You may also find it interesting how GW was described by someone other than himself:

Quote:
Henry Melchior Muhlenberg was one of the founders of the Lutheran Church in America. His son John Peter, was a pastor, promoted to Major-General in the Continental Army and then elected to Congress. Another son, Frederick, was a pastor who became the first Speaker of the House. Both sons served in the first U.S. Congress and helped pass the First Amendment. Henry Muhlenberg pastored the German congregations near Valley Forge during the Revolutionary War. In The Notebook of a Colonial Clergyman, Henry Muhlenberg wrote: "I heard a fine example today, namely that His Excellency General Washington rode around among his army yesterday and admonished each and every one to fear God, to put away wickedness that has set in and become so general, and to practice Christian virtues. From all appearances General Washington does not belong to the so-called world of society, for he respects God's Word, believes in the atonement through Christ, and bears himself in humility and gentleness. Therefore, the Lord God has also singularly, yea, marvelously preserved him from harm in the midst of countless perils, ambuscades, fatigues, etc., and has hitherto graciously held him in his hand as a chosen vessel."
George Washington's Farewell Address

Scott

Old 11-01-2010, 10:37 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
There are religions that do not write, or, in this case, type the name of God. The biggest of these is Judaism. It's out of respect.

So not telling at all. Perhaps of your ignorance, but nothing else.

No, not in my ignorance. God will never be denied.

No Christian that has been washed in the Blood could ever do such a thing as deny Christ or God His full name.

That is Telling.

To your ignorance.

Scott
Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Thomas Jefferson

A Prayer for the Nation

Almighty God, Who has given us this good land for our heritage; We humbly beseech Thee that we may always prove ourselves a people mindful of Thy favor and glad to do Thy will. Bless our land with honorable ministry, sound learning, and pure manners. Save us from violence, discord, and confusion, from pride and arrogance, and from every evil way. Defend our liberties, and fashion into one united people, the multitude brought hither out of many kindreds and tongues. Endow with Thy spirit of wisdom those whom in Thy name we entrust the authority of government, that there may be justice and peace at home, and that through obedience to Thy law, we may show forth Thy praise among the nations of the earth. In time of prosperity fill our hearts with thankfulness, and in the day of trouble, suffer not our trust in Thee to fail; all of which we ask through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

--Washington D.C., March 4, 1801

http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Fait...residents.aspx

Scott
Old 11-01-2010, 10:49 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I mean, I know everyone has their own opinion, but honestly, do you listen to yourself when you talk?

It's part of Judaism to respect God's name, so that, for instance, if someone were to throw away a piece of paper with the name God on it, it wouldn't be desecrating his name.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:56 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Quote:
I mean, I know everyone has their own opinion, but honestly, do you listen to yourself when you talk?

It's part of Judaism to respect God's name, so that, for instance, if someone were to throw away a piece of paper with the name God on it, it wouldn't be desecrating his name.

Bibles too, I suppose. Rediculess. Pamplets? Signs on churches..ie..."Church of God"....?

Really? do you listen to yourself?

Abba...Father....really..a child of God cannot write his name?

This is what happens when you scholarly types get ahead of yourself.

Scott
Old 11-01-2010, 10:57 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Quote:

Speaking of opinions...just what have you brought to the table? Content please.

Scott
Old 11-02-2010, 12:31 AM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
I do choose to be respectful and not type the name of G-d. It is something I have stood by since I was in undergrad over 8 years ago. When I use a title of a denomination I do type out the whole thing, because it's a title. I had to use that for my thesis. Try reading something other than tracts and pamphlets and you might learn something.

Jake is completely right, Judaism, especially Orthodox Judaism does not write or say the name of G-d. They use "The Lord" or "Adoni" instead, depending on if they are just speaking or translating scripture.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:44 AM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
I stand corrected, Washington wasn't a Unitarian, he was a Deist.
Quote:
Paul F. Boller, Jr. stated "Washington was no infidel, if by infidel is meant unbeliever. Washington had an unquestioning faith in Providence and, as we have seen, he voiced this faith publicly on numerous occasions. That this was no mere rhetorical flourish on his part, designed for public consumption, is apparent from his constant allusions to Providence in his personal letters. There is every reason to believe, from a careful analysis of religious references in his private correspondence, that Washington's reliance upon a Grand Designer along Deist lines was as deep-seated and meaningful for his life as, say, Ralph Waldo Emerson’s serene confidence in a Universal Spirit permeating the ever shifting appearances of the everyday world."[46]

David L. Holmes, author of The Faiths of the Founding Fathers, in a sidebar article for Britannica categorizes Washington as a Christian deist.[47] His usage of this category implies a religious spectrum of sorts for deism. Holmes also distinguishes between strict deists and orthodox Christians by their church attendance, participation in religious rites (such as baptism, Holy Communion, and confirmation), the use of religious language, and opinions of contemporary family, friends, clergy, and acquaintances. Regarding these specific parameters, Holmes describes Washington as a Christian deist due to his religious behavior falling somewhere between that of an orthodox Christian and a strict deist. Although Washington was clearly not a communicant, was infrequent in his Church attendance, and did not deem it necessary to participate in religious rites, Holmes labels him as a Christian deist due to his references of God, which resemble strict deistic terminology yet add a Christian dimension of mercy and divine nature. Additionally, Holmes states that Washington's "dedication to Christianity was clear in his own mind" as to imply that Washington's own religious self-analysis should be deemed at least as noteworthy as that of critics who claim he was unorthodox.
He attended many different churches during his Presidency, Episcopal, Methodist, Catholic, and Quaker. But he was a Mason.
George Washington and religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And you do realize that your form of Protestant Christianity didn't begin until the late 1800s to early 1900s right? Evangelical Christianity is not the same Christianity that the Founding Fathers would have known.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:15 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmurphy View Post
Speaking of opinions...just what have you brought to the table? Content please.

Scott
I have my views on things, but I don't think I'll get into them right now - I just enjoy hearing about others' opinions.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads