Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2010, 09:48 AM  

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whybu1 View Post
He is considered a prophet not "god incarnate". Big differance, the Korean church believes God himself is living in the flesh as the second coming of Christ.

Claiming to be God incarnate is not that far off. The Mormons claimed that Jesus came to America, is that not the second coming?

Old 10-29-2010, 09:30 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooblyGoob View Post
How do you feel about Mormonism?

How does one have a feeling about mormonism?

What sets them apart, at least on the surface and from what I know of them (not having been a Mormon), is that they worship their Saints much like the Catholics do (this is an obomination unto God). They also believe that 'works' is a integral part of their salvation, it is not. Many of you complain about them going door to door, at least have the understanding that they are 'earning' their salvation by doing so....a little pity may be in order....don't get me wrong, I admire their effort.

Scott

Old 10-29-2010, 09:38 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
If I am understanding your question right, you are asking how believers get around the issue of evolution.

The more ultraconservative Christians will ignore evolution. They will claim that science is flawed in some way, and turn a blind eye to the facts.

With that being said, there has been a transition in most of Christianity towards an acceptance of science, and understanding that the stories of the bible were meant to be explanations for a less advanced civilization. They view science as proof of G-d's divinity and perfection.

So let me get this straight, there are two kinds of Christians, the ignorant and the ultra-ignorant?

Firstly, you have no 'facts' that man came from or otherwise evolved from any other animal, theory.

Secondly, your answer shows that you don't the simplist understanding of Christianity.

Thirdly, you don't understand that there is a separation from what is natural and that which is spiritual. God created man in His image, spiritual man. All things in nature naturally evolve.

Lastly, know that you may get out of college more confused than when you began....I'm not joking either....some of the most stupid people I know have degrees.

Scott
Old 10-29-2010, 10:21 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Maybe I was wrong.....eyes roll.......chuckle....pasted from elsewhere....

The Darwinian Awards Thread.

[ Arkansas Democrat Gazette]:
Two local men were injured when their pickup truck left the road and
struck a tree near Cotton Patch on State Highway 38 early Monday.
Woodruff County deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after
midnight Monday. Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc, and Billy Ray Wallis ,
38, of Little Rock , were returning to Des Arc after a frog-catching
trip.. On an overcast Sunday night, Poole 's pickup truck headlights
malfunctioned.

The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older-model truck
had burned out. As a replacement fuse was not available, Wallis noticed
that the .22 caliber bullets from his pistol fit perfectly into the
fuse box next to the steering-wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet
the headlights again began to operate properly, and the two men
proceeded on eastbound toward the White River Bridge ..

After traveling approximately 20 miles, and just before crossing the
river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged and struck Poole in
the testicles. The vehicle swerved sharply right, exited the pavement,
and struck a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from
the accident but will require extensive surgery to repair the damage to
his testicles, which will never operate as intended.

Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released. "Thank
God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston shot his balls off, or we
might be dead," stated Wallis

"I've been a trooper for 10 years in this part of the world, but this
is a first for me. I can't believe that those two would admit how this
accident happened," said Snyder .

Upon being notified of the wreck, Lavinia ( Poole 's wife) asked how
many frogs the boys had caught and did anyone get them from the truck?
Though Poole and Wallis did not die as a result of their misadventure
as normally required by Darwin Award Official Rules, it can be argued
that Poole did in fact effectively remove himself from the gene pool.

[The News of the Weird]:
Michael Anderson Godwin made News of the Weird posthumously. He had
spent several years awaiting South Carolina 's electric chair on a
murder conviction before having his sentence reduced to life in prison
While sitting on a metal toilet in his cell attempting to fix his small
TV set, he bit into a wire and was electrocuted.

[UPI, Toronto ]:
Police said a lawyer demonstrating the safety of windows in a downtown
Toronto skyscraper crashed through a pane with his shoulder and plunged
24 floors to his death.? A police spokesman said Garry Hoy, 39, fell
into the courtyard of the Toronto Dominion Bank Tower early Friday
evening as he was explaining the strength of the buildings windows to
visiting law students. Hoy previously has conducted demonstrations of
window strength according to police reports. Peter Lawson , managing
partner of the firm Holden Day Wilson, told the Toronto Sun newspaper
that Hoy was "one of the best and brightest" members of the 200-man
association.

Scott
Old 10-30-2010, 08:12 AM  
just a little lower..

Titusville, Pennsylvania
This is going to be a bold statement....not intended to offend anyone.

There is a spiritual world, however, mankind in it's arrogance and dependency on "organized religion" is unable to accept it or recognize it.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:28 PM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmurphy View Post
So let me get this straight, there are two kinds of Christians, the ignorant and the ultra-ignorant? No, that is a complete bastardization of what I said. I said there is a progressive movement that is incorperating science into the scripture while still utilizing a literal interpretation, then there are the ultraconservatives that ignore scientific discoveries and still claim that the earth is only a few thousand years old.

Firstly, you have no 'facts' that man came from or otherwise evolved from any other animal, theory.
I'm not arguing in favor of strict evolution, but there is ample scientific evidence of evolution in the species. Actually I'm not arguing anything, just relaying what decades of scholarship has said.
Secondly, your answer shows that you don't the simplist understanding of Christianity.I happen to be Christian and have spent the better part of 9 years studying it, everything from Hebrew, to Jewish Mysticism, Early Christian history, and my most recent work is Modern American Religion. Just because I approach it from a scholarly perspective doesn't mean I don't believe, nor does it mean I don't understand.

Thirdly, you don't understand that there is a separation from what is natural and that which is spiritual. God created man in His image, spiritual man. All things in nature naturally evolve. Not debating that.

Lastly, know that you may get out of college more confused than when you began....I'm not joking either....some of the most stupid people I know have degrees.Well that is just a bias from someone who clearly has an issue with scholarship. I've learned more about faith, spirituality, and Christianity as a whole and it has managed to strengthen my beliefs rather than make me question them. I understand things on a completely different plane than your average layperson in the pulpit

Scott
So yea, that stuff up there.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:25 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Quote:
So yea, that stuff up there.Well that is just a bias from someone who clearly has an issue with scholarship. I've learned more about faith, spirituality, and Christianity as a whole and it has managed to strengthen my beliefs rather than make me question them. I understand things on a completely different plane than your average layperson in the pulpit

Oh you bet I do! The pulpit? really? don't think so. I know some pastors that....well.....I can't and I'll just leave it at that....I don't think that highly of myself....

Someday you will wake up and realize you've been lied to, you will, you're too young yet, but you will.

Wisdom has only one source.

Scott
Old 11-02-2010, 12:27 AM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
I'm a 30 year old with an M.A. in Religion. Yea I was lied to a lot by those who thought they knew Christianity. Now I know Christianity myself, especially contemporary American Christianity and I make my own decisions about matters of faith. If you can't accept the things that scholarship has to say about Christianity that's fine. I'm not trying to make converts but don't belittle something that took years of hard work to attain.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:36 AM  

Well said Deepskyy!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:35 AM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Quote:
I'm a 30 year old with an M.A. in Religion. Yea I was lied to a lot by those who thought they knew Christianity. Now I know Christianity myself, especially contemporary American Christianity and I make my own decisions about matters of faith. If you can't accept the things that scholarship has to say about Christianity that's fine. I'm not trying to make converts but don't belittle something that took years of hard work to attain.

May 6th 1999, I nearly lost my mind, my soul, my life, and I ain't kidding. That's right, even the 'saved' can reach the bottom, God can deliver us from ourselves.

Schools can't teach true wisdom.

Explain the story of Noah in just a couple of sentences, please?

Scott

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads