Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2011, 09:13 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
I was just talking about creationism, my friend. I'd have to look into those other things before I agree or disagree, of course.

Where in the bible does it say that the world is held up by four pillars? And everyone thought that the world was flat, so that's irrelevant. Additionally, how has science proven, without a shadow of a doubt, that the world is more than 6000 years old? Oh goodness don't say carbon dating...
The earth isn't 6000 years old, it's about 48 hours old. You guys can't fool me, Last Thursdayism makes too much sense.

Omphalos hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, show me to the nearest southpaw, that I might help cleanse him of his sinful ways.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:28 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher

Would you prefer proof by parable?
No, just provable scientific fact. Cute, though.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 06-10-2011, 10:29 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
This is a tough argument to have via forum! Let's say, Oahu, next week? I'll bring the beers!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 06-11-2011, 07:55 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaberryeagle View Post
==============================================
whoa, whoa, whoa

I find that horribly offensive, and just plain evil you would make an argument point like that. You are essentially calling all atheists pedophiles as well as all the other vile stuff on there, we still have ethics, but ethics guided by logic, what's in the best interest of the person and society at large, that excludes all the bad stuff you mentioned.

however if you want to get technical the bible condones some of that, and also slavery:
Bible Precepts: Questionable Guidelines

how many atheist groups have been in trouble for pedophilia? how many catholics?

Atheists tend to guide themselves by logical ethics, what's best for society as whole while respecting the individual, we stillwant laws that do that, however we don't have a 2000 year old book telling us to stone adulterers or mutilate infant genitals but we still respect other people as individuals regardless.

The bible has been used to support any atrocity people have committed, and very explicitly is ok with slavery, are those your values, or do you dismiss that part of the bible as false? who are you to do that and decide that ethically that s not ok? obviously according to your last post without the book telling you what is ok then you would become pedophile theif and rapist without that guidance, correct?.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:43 AM  

TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrx View Post
Also an atheist here. I believe, in reality, my father was also one, while my mom had a deep, true faith in God. It's just my take on things. I have no desire to turn people from their beliefs, nor do I want to be "saved". I tend to believe in Ayn Rand's thoughts towards a sense of self as to what defines us.
A little different here. I was thoroughly brainwashed by family, friends, authority figures etc. as a child. When I was in grammar school the teachers assigned bible verses to individual children on Mondays to memorize and recite back to the class on Fridays. It took me from then till I was about sixty years old to finally declare that I had never really believed in walking on water, turning water into wine, healing leprosy by touching, feeding 5000-6000 hungry pilgrims with two fish and five loaves then gathering 12 baskets of leftovers, raising from the dead, etc. I surely have never believed a man was nailed to a tree, bled like a hog and then showed up fit as a fiddle two days later. I owe it to others, especially youngsters and you can bet that I will speak up against the advent of an invisible man in the sky for the rest of my life.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:11 AM  

FUNETICAL: I am not an Athiest, but I dont believe the bible was inspired , nor that Jesus was God , nor in churchianity , dogmas , and I agree THAT THE WORLD WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE without religion and I , like you, never ever mention in person to anyone about my beliefs/disbeliefs for the same reasons.
I found that Athiest whom I knew, were the most generous, honorable ,tolerant , persons.
And I also dont believe that this Great Spirit would damn , all of the people because they aren,t Christians.. no religion holds a monopoly on God in my opinion. I came to believe that we are all part of God and we return to this eternal Life Force or Consciousness no matter who we are or what we believe or dont.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:22 PM  

Mill Creek, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurecoast View Post
FUNETICAL: I am not an Athiest, but I dont believe the bible was inspired , nor that Jesus was God , nor in churchianity , dogmas , and I agree THAT THE WORLD WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE without religion and I , like you, never ever mention in person to anyone about my beliefs/disbeliefs for the same reasons.
I found that Athiest whom I knew, were the most generous, honorable ,tolerant , persons.
And I also dont believe that this Great Spirit would damn , all of the people because they aren,t Christians.. no religion holds a monopoly on God in my opinion. I came to believe that we are all part of God and we return to this eternal Life Force or Consciousness no matter who we are or what we believe or dont.
Like Jesus said, "the blind lead the blind and let the dead bury the dead."
Old 06-26-2011, 01:51 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurecoast View Post
Like Blucher's stated religious position, yours does not offend my atheist sensibilities, and not because you presented atheism in a positive light, but because you maintain responsibility for your beliefs and actions. Would you describe your beliefs as (or consistent with) pantheism, panentheism, deism, or agnosticism?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:57 PM  

TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rugged Crosser View Post
Like Jesus said, "the blind lead the blind and let the dead bury the dead."
The blind have already been leading the blind for 2000 years. Each generation has taught the children of each new generation a fable...plain and simple, a fable.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:07 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorph View Post
The blind have already been leading the blind for 2000 years. Each generation has taught the children of each new generation a fable...plain and simple, a fable.
Nothing wrong with fables. My buddy Aesop had a bunch of them, most are still pretty valid today.

Then again, they are taught as fables, not as truth. Regardless how true they may be.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.