Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2011, 07:14 AM  

Atheistic "Religion"...tell me NO!

Feeling left out, militaristic atheists are demanding their own "Religious Chaplains".

Kinda reminds me of the demands for same sex marriage. Those silly Christians have the best ideas sometimes.

Atheists Seek Chaplain Role in the Military

The chaplaincy is clearly going to the dogs:

In the military, there are more than 3,000 chaplains who minister to the spiritual and emotional needs of active duty troops, regardless of their faiths. The vast majority are Christians, a few are Jews or Muslims, one is a Buddhist. A Hindu, possibly even a Wiccan may join their ranks soon.

But an atheist?

Strange as it sounds, groups representing atheists and secular humanists are pushing for the appointment of one of their own to the chaplaincy, hoping to give voice to what they say is a large ? and largely underground ? population of nonbelievers in the military.

Joining the chaplain corps is part of a broader campaign by atheists to win official acceptance in the military. Such recognition would make it easier for them to raise money and meet on military bases. It would help ensure that chaplains, religious or atheist, would distribute their literature, advertise their events and advocate for them with commanders.

But winning the appointment of an atheist chaplain will require support from senior chaplains, a tall order. Many chaplains are skeptical: Do atheists belong to a ?faith group,? a requirement for a chaplain candidate? Can they provide support to religious troops of all faiths, a fundamental responsibility for chaplains?

Jason Torpy, a former Army captain who is president of the Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers, said humanist chaplains would do everything religious chaplains do, including counsel troops and help them follow their faiths. But just as a Protestant chaplain would not preside over a Catholic service, a humanist might not lead a religious ceremony, though he might help organize it.

?Humanism fills the same role for atheists that Christianity does for Christians and Judaism does for Jews,? Mr. Torpy said in an interview. ?It answers questions of ultimate concern; it directs our values.?

Mr. Torpy has asked to meet the chiefs of chaplains for each of the armed forces, which have their own corps, to discuss his proposal. The chiefs have yet to comment.

At the same time, an atheist group at Fort Bragg called Military Atheists and Secular Humanists, or MASH, has asked the Army to appoint an atheist lay leader at the base. A new MASH chapter at Fort Campbell, Ky., is planning to do the same as are atheists at MacDill Air Force Base in Florida.

Such lay leaders can lead ?services? in lieu of chaplains and have access to meeting rooms, including chapels.

Chaplains at Fort Bragg near here have seemed open to the idea, if somewhat perplexed by it.

?You?re not a faith group; you?re a lack-of-faith group,? First Lt. Samantha Nicoll, an active atheist at Fort Bragg, recalled a chaplain friend?s saying about the idea. ?But I said, ?What else is there for us?? ?

The New York Times has more:

Chaplain for atheists? Lunacy. Perplexing too for there is no God for them anyway.

Atheists Seek Chaplain Role in the Military ? Fr Stephen's Blog

Old 06-12-2011, 08:19 AM  
fustrated genius

WHOA!! next thing you know they'll be carrying crosses . . . (upside down of coarse)

Let them have their chaplains I say, for their "non-religion"

Old 06-12-2011, 09:51 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
It's a complicated issue, and Christians will often call atheism a "religion" when they want to say atheists are believing in something, but in this case it is about the way things are setup and the abilities given to those groups...

If atheism is a religion, then "not playing soccer" is also a sport, it really does boil down to that logic. I'm not participating in a religion believing in magical creatures.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:38 AM  
fustrated genius

to me personally, it's more like the gay thing going on these days. Everybody wants to make a BIG DEAL but in reality, very few give a rat's behind, you want to marry, do it, you want to "non religion" DO IT, or don't. This "offended" BS goes two ways, leave the Jesus freaks alone, only a few radicals care on either side. Only a few radical Muslums fly airplanes into buildings, only a few "christians" bang on your door at 0700 Saturday morning, and only a FEW atheist want to run around burning bibles.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:27 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Well said, hi hood.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 06-16-2011, 07:27 AM  

hilarious. will they carry about bibles with blank pages?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:52 AM  

TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechercreature View Post
hilarious. will they carry about bibles with blank pages?
More likely ignore those who do...
Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 AM  

Turbotville, PA
An atheist religion is such a contradiction. How can people claim to be so smart, yet behave so stupid. All the people that are atheists claim to believe some quack of a scientist from over 200 years ago. I really believe in Christ, and so many others do. I find it odd that everyday is filled with miracles that people take for granted. When anyone questions the existence of a supreme being, God, they use his very creation of DNA as some kind of proof that he isn't real. It is an absolute absurdity to think that something so complex just popped into existence be shear chance. I have a computer that is no where near as complicated as the programing in DNA, and yet I don't see any computers popping into existence from raw materials. The evidence is all around us proving that God is hear, and he made a very complex universe, earth, bio dependent life forms, and so much more that it would be impossible to list them hear. Atheists should open there eyes, and just because some religious people do wild and crazy things, is no reason to reject the One True God, and his son Jesus Christ. I believe and I have been touched by the holy spirit. If anyone every has any doubts, just pray to God, to except Jesus, and ask to be touch be the Holy Ghost. If you are sincere, then you will be a believer. The energy that I feel when I pray, and feel Gods presence each day, can't be mistaken. I laugh at so many people that say they don't believe, and yet they watch countless ghost stories, are scared of the dark, and so many believe in satan but not God. Absurd.

I babbled enough, God Bless you all, and I will pray for all none believers. I feel sorry for you. Jesus Loves you!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:10 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantoys View Post
An atheist religion is such a contradiction. How can people claim to be so smart, yet behave so stupid. All the people that are atheists claim to believe some quack of a scientist from over 200 years ago.
this is why your statement looks absurd, I assume you are talking about darwin and evolution itself is a fact so I don't know where you are getting quack from, the only real area where knowledge is limited among serious scientists is about evolution as an explaination for everything as we have been only been able to reproduce so much in the lab so far
Quote:
I really believe in Christ, and so many others do. I find it odd that everyday is filled with miracles that people take for granted. When anyone questions the existence of a supreme being, God,
why, considering there has been absolutely no proof, it's a mythological idea
Quote:
they use his very creation of DNA as some kind of proof that he isn't real.
guess he faked those dinosaur bones, the size of space (considering just from knowing the speed of light the universe has to be billions of years old)
Quote:
It is an absolute absurdity to think that something so complex just popped into existence be shear chance.
so how did something as complex as god just pop into existence? SERIOUSLY ANSWER THIS THEN
Quote:
I have a computer that is no where near as complicated as the programing in DNA, and yet I don't see any computers popping into existence from raw materials.
are you seriously this absurd in the way you think? that doesn't even make sense, computers are not biological beings.
Quote:
The evidence is all around us proving that God is hear
what solid evidence do you have, nothing, anything creationists have is just twisting the facts till they can pretend it goes along, however evolution has been well proven
Quote:
, and he made a very complex universe, earth, bio dependent life forms, and so much more that it would be impossible to list them hear. Atheists should open there eyes, and just because some religious people do wild and crazy things, is no reason to reject the One True God, and his son Jesus Christ.
what makes this any more valid then any other religions with the same belief in a religious book, nothing
Quote:
I believe and I have been touched by the holy spirit. If anyone every has any doubts, just pray to God, to except Jesus, and ask to be touch be the Holy Ghost. If you are sincere, then you will be a believer. The energy that I feel when I pray, and feel Gods presence each day, can't be mistaken. I laugh at so many people that say they don't believe, and yet they watch countless ghost stories, are scared of the dark, and so many believe in satan but not God. Absurd.
there are not enough rolling eyes and facepalm smilies to express my reaction to your statement, there really are not, I hope you meant this as a parody of a die hard religious person but I fear not. I think you need to take a break of the church brainwashing and read up on some science. By the way how old do you think the earth is?

I suspect you won't answer my questions I posed for you though, at least not directly.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:49 PM  

Turbotville, PA
Hello, I am surprised that you call the Theory of Evolution Fact. Maybe you need to look at the Definition again.

Theory -an ideal or "hypothetical" set of facts, principles, or circumstances

2+2=4 That is a fact. Ape + 1 million Years = Man is a Theory. "hypothetical"

As far as Proof of Christ goes, there is a lot out there if you look. Lee Strobel, an atheist at the time, decided that he would prove Jesus Christ to be a fraud by the weight of the evidence. Strobel is now a Christian!

Before you claim that I am not so scientific, you should know I have been studying science for 30+ years, and I still only see Scientific Theory for what it is, "Theory". Even Einstein was not an atheist. Are you going to argue that he is not scientific?
He said, "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."

This really isn't the place to rewrite all the arguments for Religion. It has been on going for so many years. I challenge you to read some information before you believe all the "hypothetical" science that you want to believe.

Take a look at The Case For Christ
and maybe read the book; God Exists: An Engineer Explains Why -Peter Soszek

As for the other questions about the beginning of God.. the bible tells us that God has no Beginning and No End. As for a Scientific explanation of no Beginning and no End just look at a Circle.. If you really want to exercise your mind, then explorer Theories on Dimensions. We as Humans can only sense a very limited portion of this world. We must use tools, derived by our own limited experiences to see anything more. I Challenge anyone to explorer the existence of God and Jesus for themselves and really look at the evidence openly, instead of having the conclusion that someone else is wrong, just to protect your ego. I find most people don't want to admit to being wrong. That is why they argue. I also find that most people that don't want to follow rules, make up their own rules. It then becomes convenient for someone not to believe in God. If you don't Believe then you don't have to follow his rules. I hope anyone who reads this, takes the time to follow the evidence as so many people have done in the past, instead of choosing to believe something on a very limited foundation. God Bless You! Jesus Loves You, Even if you don't Love Him.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!