Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 06-27-2011, 02:06 PM  
mohel
 
blucher's Avatar

Keizer, OR
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,383 | Kudos: +123
Images: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
to me personally, it's more like the gay thing going on these days. Everybody wants to make a BIG DEAL but in reality, very few give a rat's behind, you want to marry, do it, you want to "non religion" DO IT, or don't. This "offended" BS goes two ways, leave the Jesus freaks alone, only a few radicals care on either side. Only a few radical Muslums fly airplanes into buildings, only a few "christians" bang on your door at 0700 Saturday morning, and only a FEW atheist want to run around burning bibles.
Having thus far been spared the smoke of burning parables I'll agree with you 100% on this post. I don't see this as more than just everyday silliness.

I do have one concern though. I've long held that the sane Muslims need to speak out and condemn radical Islam and make the point that Islam is being twisted to fit radical thought.

Thanks to Ruggedcrosser I've added Christians (the real ones like Hillman & Company) to that concept. You guys aren't whackos so why not stand up and defend the Christianity of the spirit over snake oil televangelism preaching a doctrine of "God wants you to be rich & have great STUFF"?

When the Catholic Church played "hide the pedo" they lost any hope I had for them.
__________________

__________________
I'll believe corporations are persons when Texas executes one.: LBJ's Ghost
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:22 PM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
not surprised at all you avoided my questions, not surprised at all.....
HOW OLD DO YOU THINK THE EARTH IS?????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantoys View Post
Hello, I am surprised that you call the Theory of Evolution Fact. Maybe you need to look at the Definition again.
scientific theory does not equal a regular "theory"
Quote:
Theory -an ideal or "hypothetical" set of facts, principles, or circumstances

2+2=4 That is a fact. Ape + 1 million Years = Man is a Theory.
again failure to understand what a scientific theory is, and the scientific theory of evolution as a source of all, ok that has some leeway, evolution as a mechanism has been very well proven and is a fact
Quote:

As far as Proof of Christ goes, there is a lot out there if you look. Lee Strobel, an atheist at the time, decided that he would prove Jesus Christ to be a fraud by the weight of the evidence. Strobel is now a Christian!

Before you claim that I am not so scientific, you should know I have been studying science for 30+ years,
apparently not if you don't understand what theory means in the scientific world
Quote:
and I still only see Scientific Theory for what it is, "Theory". Even Einstein was not an atheist. Are you going to argue that he is not scientific?
he was certainly not a christian in beliefs
Quote:
He said, "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."
using einstein as an argument point is like me saying well hitler was a catholic (which he was) and using that as an argument for or against religion
Quote:

This really isn't the place to rewrite all the arguments for Religion. It has been on going for so many years. I challenge you to read some information before you believe all the "hypothetical" science that you want to believe.

Take a look at The Case For Christ
and maybe read the book; God Exists: An Engineer Explains Why -Peter Soszek

As for the other questions about the beginning of God.. the bible tells us that God has no Beginning and No End. As for a Scientific explanation of no Beginning and no End just look at a Circle..
so you accept god poofed out of nowhere but matter can't?
Quote:
If you really want to exercise your mind, then explorer Theories on Dimensions. We as Humans can only sense a very limited portion of this world. We must use tools, derived by our own limited experiences to see anything more. I Challenge anyone to explorer the existence of God and Jesus for themselves and really look at the evidence openly, instead of having the conclusion that someone else is wrong, just to protect your ego.
I have looked at it, I went to a universalist church for many years that looked at various religions
Quote:
I find most people don't want to admit to being wrong. That is why they argue.
yes they do.....
Quote:
I also find that most people that don't want to follow rules, make up their own rules. It then becomes convenient for someone not to believe in God. If you don't Believe then you don't have to follow his rules.
his rules? as determined by who? your interpretation? your minister's?
Quote:
I hope anyone who reads this, takes the time to follow the evidence as so many people have done in the past, instead of choosing to believe something on a very limited foundation. God Bless You! Jesus Loves You, Even if you don't Love Him.
lame addition and attempt to your argument

I WILL ASK AGAIN
SO HOW OLD DO YOU THINK THE EARTH IS?????????????
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:24 PM  
Senior Member

TN
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 118 | Kudos: +26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantoys View Post
An atheist religion is such a contradiction. How can people claim to be so smart, yet behave so stupid. All the people that are atheists claim to believe some quack of a scientist from over 200 years ago. I really believe in Christ, and so many others do. I find it odd that everyday is filled with miracles that people take for granted. When anyone questions the existence of a supreme being, God, they use his very creation of DNA as some kind of proof that he isn't real. It is an absolute absurdity to think that something so complex just popped into existence be shear chance. I have a computer that is no where near as complicated as the programing in DNA, and yet I don't see any computers popping into existence from raw materials. The evidence is all around us proving that God is hear, and he made a very complex universe, earth, bio dependent life forms, and so much more that it would be impossible to list them hear. Atheists should open there eyes, and just because some religious people do wild and crazy things, is no reason to reject the One True God, and his son Jesus Christ. I believe and I have been touched by the holy spirit. If anyone every has any doubts, just pray to God, to except Jesus, and ask to be touch be the Holy Ghost. If you are sincere, then you will be a believer. The energy that I feel when I pray, and feel Gods presence each day, can't be mistaken. I laugh at so many people that say they don't believe, and yet they watch countless ghost stories, are scared of the dark, and so many believe in satan but not God. Absurd.

I babbled enough, God Bless you all, and I will pray for all none believers. I feel sorry for you. Jesus Loves you!
Please do not waste your breath for me. I watched the effect of prayer in the 1940's and 1950's. Wednesday night prayer meetings were full. Prayer lists were a foot long. Each family either had a member or a close friend who was dying from heart failure or cancer. There was no effective treatment for heart problems and surgery was the only thing for cancer and usually if they operated the tumor metastasized and the patient was dead within a year. Folks said a billion prayers but the ailing suffered and died anyway.

Now that there are sophisticated diagnostic machines, diet control, stents, bypasses, transplants, chemotherapy, radiation treatments, stem cell transplants, etc. the same kinds of patients live on into their eighties and sometimes nineties. The only thing prayer might change is the mind of the one doing the praying.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:41 PM  
Moved NY => Abq 3/9/11
 
JeeperDon's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 50 | Kudos: +15
You guys are way off base. The 'religion' has zero to do what what you believe. Atheists are regular people in the country, are equal to the rest, except people claiming to believe in a normal religion get financial breaks and I atheists do not. Why should a church building get a tax break, while still getting fire and police services and such, and non believers have to pay more tax to offset the cost. The systems is based upon the idea that everyone is a believer and goes to some church, so it's all equal... but it's not. Believers get income tax breaks for donating to the Rev's pay check, who then doesn't pay taxes either (not sure of that, but likely not).

If you follow the money, it's unfair. Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer, and the gov can pay for it.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:29 PM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
You guys are way off base. The 'religion' has zero to do what what you believe. Atheists are regular people in the country, are equal to the rest, except people claiming to believe in a normal religion get financial breaks and I atheists do not. Why should a church building get a tax break, while still getting fire and police services and such, and non believers have to pay more tax to offset the cost. The systems is based upon the idea that everyone is a believer and goes to some church, so it's all equal... but it's not. Believers get income tax breaks for donating to the Rev's pay check, who then doesn't pay taxes either (not sure of that, but likely not).

If you follow the money, it's unfair. Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer, and the gov can pay for it.
There was an email circulating amongst republican christians about the health care act being a form of dhimmitude (non muslims paying taxes for muslim benefits - granted it was a bunch of b.s.) but in the U.S. that is exactly what atheists are having to do, we are being forced to subsidize religion, and there is no way to argue that we aren't. I used to work retail and churches are also tax exempt when purchasing items for the church, again taxpayer subsidized for the benefit of spreading garbage.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 AM  
Senior Member

TN
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 118 | Kudos: +26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
There was an email circulating amongst republican christians about the health care act being a form of dhimmitude (non muslims paying taxes for muslim benefits - granted it was a bunch of b.s.) but in the U.S. that is exactly what atheists are having to do, we are being forced to subsidize religion, and there is no way to argue that we aren't. I used to work retail and churches are also tax exempt when purchasing items for the church, again taxpayer subsidized for the benefit of spreading garbage.
As a matter of fact I voted for Obama in 2008 but am now undecided about whether or not I will even go to the polls next time. His continuation of the Bush Faith Based Initiatives turned my stomach. The idea of passing out government money to churches after they're already getting a free ride is repulsive to me.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:35 AM  
mohel
 
blucher's Avatar

Keizer, OR
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,383 | Kudos: +123
Images: 99
Quote:
There was an email circulating amongst republican christians about the health care act being a form of dhimmitude (non muslims paying taxes for muslim benefits - granted it was a bunch of b.s.) but in the U.S. that is exactly what atheists are having to do, we are being forced to subsidize religion, and there is no way to argue that we aren't. I used to work retail and churches are also tax exempt when purchasing items for the church, again taxpayer subsidized for the benefit of spreading garbage.

I'm convinced enough are currently spreading garbage I think they should cap the tax free part at $500,000 per parish. The 700 Club would be broadcasting from the Cayman Islands in a week.
__________________

__________________
I'll believe corporations are persons when Texas executes one.: LBJ's Ghost
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.