Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2011, 11:28 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I wonder how much the US economy would improve if the gov stopped the tax breaks for church property and made the churches pay income tax. The catholics alone could fund NASA.
I like the way you think and you're probably right. Considering that the church instituted a celibate priesthood because widows of priests were keeping the altar candlesticks you would be in for a huge fight.

All those teachings about the evils of putting "stuff" over real values seems to fall on dead ears.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Ha people are corrupt - even religious ones. Look at that, I made the same point as you without adding a bunch of copy-paste-posts and weird pictures.
aren't you the clever one.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:00 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Crazy - that's what I think, too!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 06-11-2011, 12:48 PM  

Mill Creek, Washington
You know it is always easy to point fingers at the excesses of any group. And it is fun to point out their shortcommings but where are the reports of all those many ministries that are faithfully doing God's work? It makes one feel real good about one's self pointing out the faults of the hypocrites. However it makes one feel very inadequate to point out the good that others are doing and that you know that you should be doing. So it is no wonder that all the ink goes to point out the hypocrites shortcomings, and the person doing so is in the end no better.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:35 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Goat View Post
You know it is always easy to point fingers at the excesses of any group. And it is fun to point out their shortcommings but where are the reports of all those many ministries that are faithfully doing God's work? It makes one feel real good about one's self pointing out the faults of the hypocrites. However it makes one feel very inadequate to point out the good that others are doing and that you know that you should be doing. So it is no wonder that all the ink goes to point out the hypocrites shortcomings, and the person doing so is in the end no better.
The use of many religions is to control people, to make them follow their leader, it was a government and rule of law before we had secular versions.....

Yes some good comes of it but if you were to really divide up how much tithing actually goes to truly helping the poor/sick etc after all the "overhead" and church maintenance/salaries/etc I bet that number is going to be incredibly small percent wise.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:53 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I've met a handful of good people in the clergy. A few others I'm pretty confident about as well but all in all the old adage of "follow the money" applies more often than not.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:44 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Goat View Post
Ah, the old "You must be religious to do good things" argument. You don't. What's the last charitable thing you did for someone? You could have performed that act of charity without believing in the existence of god. I don't need the idea of god to convince me that helping other people is a good thing. I can decide what I want my world to be like, and I can act accordingly. I want to live in a world where people stop to help stranded motorists; I stop and help stranded motorists.

It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure this out.

(Incidentally, I want to live in a world where people derive humor from mixed metaphors.)
Old 06-12-2011, 01:00 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I stop and help stranded motorists.
Me too and I carry a gas can for that purpose. I've never not stopped to help. I realize some danger may exist but reading people has been central to much of what I've done in life.

Once I asked God if he had any work for me. By the next exit I discovered He'd given me a drunk on his way home to bury his mother. Who else would God give a stranded drunk to other than another drunk in his first year of sobriety? God has a weird sense of humor.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:43 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
God has a weird sense of humor.
I think you're deluding yourself, of course, but I really do like your idea of religion. :-)
Old 06-12-2011, 05:37 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I like it too....at last.

Those nuns scared the crap out of us kids. They were the fire & brimstone preachers of the Catholic Church.

Oddly now I feel my closest friend is God and he's unto all my crap & limitations but he guides me with tongue in cheek humor to serve him. I wish everyone had a similar relationship with him and sincerely believe most are capable of it.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!