Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2011, 10:16 PM  

Mill Creek, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
you replied as a response to my question....but did not actually answer my question and instead went of in another direction
I suggest that you read it again. I did answer all of your questions of me. But in case you need a little more to try to find fault with I might add that The Old Testament is not written to Christians so no I don't follow the rules and regulations that were given to Israel. The New Testament Scriptures say that Christ nailed them to His cross. He fulfilled them so I don't have to.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Goat View Post
I suggest that you read it again. I did answer all of your questions of me. But in case you need a little more to try to find fault with I might add that The Old Testament is not written to Christians so no I don't follow the rules and regulations that were given to Israel. The New Testament Scriptures say that Christ nailed them to His cross. He fulfilled them so I don't have to.
Not really, you responded with a distraction and did not directly answer my question of how do you decide what god meant and not take it literally, as when you read how do you decide what's figurative and what's literal and do you just ignore stuff that does agree with you:

so as to the new testament (sorry this ended up being a bit more varied assortment then I intended):
Quote:
19:12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.
so did you follow this one? or decide to skip this text?
Quote:
Jesus tells his disciples to eat his body and drink his blood. 26:26-28
why? why would a "loving" god desire this when makes the rules?

Quote:
10:23 And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
so given away everything but the bare necessities?

Quote:
2:25 For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.
so, I am pretty sure this doesn't happen (If it did I would go break the law....)

Quote:
7:29 But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none;
guess the end didn't happen then, huh?

Quote:
1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;
but yet only the middle east seems to have had any takers for quite a while....

Quote:
Christians are "of God;" everyone else is wicked. 5:19
so am I wicked?

Quote:
7:4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.
guess it is too late anyway, surely it is filled up by now....

Old 06-13-2011, 10:18 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I especially wonder about your custom user name..... please tell me that's some kind of a joke....
I thought you meant blucher then realized you meant mohel. Yes, completely a joke and one inspired by you initially although we share beliefs on circumcision.

Quote:
I keep a copy of Darwin's 1859 "On The Origin of Species" (which I've read a few times) on my night stand. I like Chapter 4 best, "Natural Selection".
"Yea though I walk through the Valley of Death thy flora & thy fauna shall comfort me".

Quote:
I believe in God, but don't believe in organized "church"
Curiously that's EXACTLY what I believe.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 AM  

Organized religion, is to controll , and manipulate people, and specially now days to prosper on the gallable believers.
The God of the bible ,if you look at His character , is a jelaous God , plays favorites ,gambles , ect. ( take a paper and pencil and write down the list as you read the bible.)
Yes ,I do believe in the Great Spirit, that bestoves blessings on all, non judgemental,and rains on the good and the bad. And I dont believe that He/She gets involved in our daily affairs. We make our destiny by our daily , hourly decisions, sickness and disase comes as a result of our own doing ,pollution ,diet ,physical neglect drugs ect.
What better way to controll the population than by fear of hell? This has been going on for 2000 yrs. Religious wars and persecutions in the name of God by the church and rulers. There were other gospels and the Gnostic Bible that were totally ignored by the church.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:54 PM  

Mill Creek, Washington
To all users of this forum: Please address to whom you are addressing in your post. We have many threads going at one time and the answers and questions are all flowing together.

Redjeep: You don't believe the Bible as truth or God's Word so why concern yourself with how others respond to it? It won't change your mind and only takes up others time or wares them down.

Blucher: you wrote: Quote:
I believe in God, but don't believe in organized "church"
Curiously that's EXACTLY what I believe.

and Treasurecoast: You follow with the same conclussion:

God isn't asking you to believe in a organized church. He is asking you to believe in His Son--Jesus Christ. It is just as simple as that. Religion is only mans way of reaching out to the worship of God. God doesn't proscribe a religious cultus.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:40 PM  

Old- Goat;
I have due respect to your beliefs.
I have stated only what MY views of organized religions are, and not what God asks me to believe. (free will?)
I believe, in the ONE GOD THE GREAT SPIRIT. Jesus was a great teacher.
SPIRITUALITY is mans way of reaching out , worshipping and connecting to God.

It was neccessary to make Jesus God in those early centuries, to unite Christendom. It was neccesary to bring the Pagans into the fold. The Bishops and the Emperor had to incorporate Pagan elements in to Christianity to make it acceptable for all ,or else the Roman Empire would fall in to chaos and blood shed .( Christmas is a Pagan Holiday for one, having a God reincarnate is also Pagan, Egyptians .)
Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
There were other gospels and the Gnostic Bible that were totally ignored by the church.
Gnostic! thanks, I've been trying to recall that word for over a day.

Yes, books that seemingly were as valid as books included in the bible were not.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
God doesn't proscribe a religious cultus.
Sure hope not because monotheism went out the window long ago.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 AM  

Blucher;
There was also the GOSPEL OF THOMAS (brother of Jesus) also the GOSPEL OF MARY MAGDELINE. all were exclude and there are others as well.
In the Gospel of Thomas , Jesus takes aside Thomas hes brother and tells him spiritual truths . When Peter saw them he asks Jesus,"what do you tell him"? and Jesus replied to Peter , If you only knew , you all would stone me . It is interesting that Jesus had esoteric teachings that he did not disclose to all hes deciples. He was well travelled and had contact with all kinds of philosophers and religious cults.
There was also mention of Jesus choosing Mary Magdalene as hes #1 apostle to succed him, but Peter hated her,(women in general) and they cast of her off after Jesus ,s death. Hence Peter became the head of the church.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:33 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurecoast View Post
Blucher;
There was also the GOSPEL OF THOMAS (brother of Jesus) also the GOSPEL OF MARY MAGDELINE. all were exclude and there are others as well.
In the Gospel of Thomas , Jesus takes aside Thomas hes brother and tells him spiritual truths . When Peter saw them he asks Jesus,"what do you tell him"? and Jesus replied to Peter , If you only knew , you all would stone me . It is interesting that Jesus had esoteric teachings that he did not disclose to all hes deciples. He was well travelled and had contact with all kinds of philosophers and religious cults.
There was also mention of Jesus choosing Mary Magdalene as hes #1 apostle to succed him, but Peter hated her,(women in general) and they cast of her off after Jesus ,s death. Hence Peter became the head of the church.
Thank you, I've heard bits and pieces of what you reference but I usually avoid religious controversy. It's pretty polite here and I'm bored are my excuses.:rtft

If you only knew , you all would stone me .

That makes sense. Jesus was already laying stuff on his apostles that he knew strained credulity and he knew their individual limits. Is it heresy to wonder if those compiling a bible out of the available literature would include what they understood and exclude the rest?

Catholicism takes Peter's position as head of the Church and adds that "upon this rock I will build my church" to be construed as "All Popes will be guys".

When I look at religions and large bureaucracies I see parallels in behaviors that I think reflect man's choices rather than God's. Neither have been kind or fair with women. We'll see a polka dotted Eskimo as President before we see a female Pope.

Is Treasure Island related to the Treasure Coast?
Is the Bible True?-thirties4.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!