Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2011, 08:31 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rugged Crosser View Post
RA

Do you only see what is bad in this world? You must be the most unhappy person I have come across.
Far from it. I enjoy all sorts of things. I enjoy exercising and developing skill and discipline required for shooting firearms, operating chain saws, recovering vehicles, and these are just a few of the things I've mentioned on this forum. I enjoy programming, scripting, and utilizing computers far beyond what most people are capable of, first aid, motor sports, videos, swimming, hiking, biking, survival... Some of my proudest moments have been when I've had the opportunity to put my skills and talents and preparations to use helping others in trouble and incapable of helping themselves.

If you think I'm unhappy, you don't know what happy is. Does it make you happy to threaten people with eternal damnation, as you threatened me in another thread?
Quote:

Oh yah, I almost forgot, you are a atheist.
Yes. Yes I am. Apparently, you think that implies "unhappy" - it does not.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:24 PM  

Mill Creek, Washington
RA,

Then your most unhappiness is confined to issues concerning your Creator. You find no room in your heart for thankfulness for all the blessings He has given you? Like all those things in which you have found happiness. He knew ahead of time those things that would make you happy.

Now it is your turn to be thankful--not only for those material blessings but the spiritual blessings such as warnings of disastrous things that are to come your way and how to avoid them. Then presenting you mercy instead of Justice. I would say that is plenty to be thankful for.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:42 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
RA,

Then your most unhappiness is confined to issues concerning your Creator.
You assume unhappiness on my part. I will admit that religion is rather irksome, but this is just one tiny aspect of my life. Expanding my reaction to religion to my entire life is just silly.

Take me down to a shooting range; put me behind the wheel of a boat/jeep/quad bike/tractor/bicycle; take me to see an old friend; leave me in the woods with nothing but the clothes on my back; leave me to lounge away an idle Saturday afternoon in my hammock. THEN try to tell me I'm unhappy. It's just not true.
Quote:

You find no room in your heart for thankfulness for all the blessings He has given you? Like all those things in which you have found happiness. He knew ahead of time those things that would make you happy.
Why does one need religion to revere the good things in one's life?
Quote:

Now it is your turn to be thankful--not only for those material blessings but the spiritual blessings such as warnings of disastrous things that are to come your way and how to avoid them.
I've got news for you, but the National Weather Service is run by men, not god.
Quote:

Then presenting you mercy instead of Justice. I would say that is plenty to be thankful for.
I'll settle for living life as long as I can, and then dying, never to exist again. to paraphrase Mark Twain, I was never bothered by my non-existence before my existence; I see no reason why my eventual return to non-existence should give me even the slightest qualm.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:20 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
I've got news for you, but the National Weather Service is run by men, not god.
That's a testimony.................
Old 06-30-2011, 07:18 PM  
Easily amused

Santee, California
Quote:
Try to remember that just because you don't believe doesn't mean it does not exist.
Try to remember that just because you DO believe, that it does exist.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:33 PM  
Traveler

Mill Creek, Washington
RA, I know that you are smarter than that. To pretend that you misunderstood the premise of my post is beyond you. You are always so quick to jump on any small point, you couldn't have missed mine. I did not insinuate that you were unhappy with all your goods. And that is what you responded to. Also you know that I was not talking about earthly warnings but spiritual. I don't expect that from you in the future. It's too bad that you took that opportunity to be cute rather than having a serious dialogue.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:55 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldruggedcrosser View Post
RA, I know that you are smarter than that. To pretend that you misunderstood the premise of my post is beyond you. You are always so quick to jump on any small point, you couldn't have missed mine. I did not insinuate that you were unhappy with all your goods. And that is what you responded to. Also you know that I was not talking about earthly warnings but spiritual. I don't expect that from you in the future. It's too bad that you took that opportunity to be cute rather than having a serious dialogue.
What serious dialogue? You've yet to say *anything* to take seriously. But, for you, I'll give it another try.

Quote:
RA,

Then your most unhappiness is confined to issues concerning your Creator.
You're assuming unhappiness where none exists. I have no conscious "creator" to be unhappy with.
Quote:

You find no room in your heart for thankfulness for all the blessings He has given you?
Regarding the things you think I should be "thankful" for, I would say that I am appreciative. I appreciate the Japanese Maple tree in my front yard. I'm thankful that someone decided to plant it there, and allowed it to grow. But there is nobody to thank for the existence of maple trees in general, so describing my feelings as "thankful" isn't quite accurate.
Quote:

Like all those things in which you have found happiness. He knew ahead of time those things that would make you happy.

Now it is your turn to be thankful--not only for those material blessings but the spiritual blessings such as warnings of disastrous things that are to come your way and how to avoid them. Then presenting you mercy instead of Justice. I would say that is plenty to be thankful for.
I believe you're speaking of the idea of hell and eternal damnation. I've addressed that issue so many times that it's beginning to bore me. Any entity that condemns mankind from the start is no entity worth worshipping.

Again, I take offense to being threatened by any religious adherent, even if he believes that his threat was originally made by a deity.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:03 PM  
Traveler

Mill Creek, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
you replied as a response to my question....but did not actually answer my question and instead went of in another direction
RedJeep: if you go back and read post #19 you will see that I answered your question.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.