Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2011, 02:55 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldruggedcrosser View Post
Bla Bla Bla Same old saw. Far to unintellectual for those of us with serious minds to waste our time on. I can't believe that you think you have any creds.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:16 AM  

I picked this up from a History Channel blog;
Quote:
Non-believers will often come to the defense of atheists because they don't want to be wrong, either. It's as if greater numbers will preserve them in the time of judgment. I am sure this is why they protest so much when told the truth of God's word -fear of judgment, fear of God's word, fear of God Himself, but most of all, fear that they just might be wrong.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:09 AM  

"Non-believers will often come to the defense of atheists".....?

Elaborate please. Are you including pantheist, agnostics, satanist, etc in the "non-believers group? If so it would make sense to me.

Expect some push back from the "numbers and fear" concepts though. It makes perfect sense to believers because we know God.
In our case we cannot not know something, as in God, once we know Him. If someone doesn't know God, whether it is ordained or personal rejection, their response will be one of insult, and in some cases, threatening(?).
Old 07-17-2011, 01:55 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Non-believers will often come to the defense of atheists because they don't want to be wrong, either. It's as if greater numbers will preserve them in the time of judgment. I am sure this is why they protest so much when told the truth of God's word -fear of judgment, fear of God's word, fear of God Himself, but most of all, fear that they just might be wrong.
I'm guessing that you're about as afraid of Zeus, Odin, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster as I am of the Christian deity, and for the same reasons.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:42 AM  

TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
I'm guessing that you're about as afraid of Zeus, Odin, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster as I am of the Christian deity, and for the same reasons.
Thinking back to my childhood that's what aggravates me more than anything else about it...scaring children with that BS. Putting the "fear of god" in them.

Back in the early 1950's when TV first began to show up in nearly all the big cities the preachers were calling the rooftop antennas "the devil's horns." I wonder what they're saying about the Internet.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:27 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorph View Post
Thinking back to my childhood that's what aggravates me more than anything else about it...scaring children with that BS. Putting the "fear of god" in them.

Back in the early 1950's when TV first began to show up in nearly all the big cities the preachers were calling the rooftop antennas "the devil's horns." I wonder what they're saying about the Internet.
See, I've never heard that. I know there has been nearly constant criticism of Christianity for the past 2000+ years, but it seems like it's generally been swept under the rug. I remember in elementary school, thinking that the president was universally considered a great guy, police were our friends, every stranger was out to get us, and religion could do no wrong. These were things I learned before puberty, when the adults in my life insisted on shielding me from reality.

I know now that none of the things I just said are true - the president does his job as he sees fit - on average, half the people will despise him for it, and half will think he's doing at least an OK job. Police aren't our friends, but people doing a job. You can trust a friend to help you get yourself out of trouble; you can trust a cop to help society find justice, regardless of how that hurts or helps you when you find yourself in trouble. Odds are infinitesimally low that a randomly selected "stranger" wants to cause harm to a child - statistically, it's NOT the "stranger" one needs to worry about, but a friend, family member, or someone else who violates a position of trust. And religion has no greater claim to truth, morality, understanding, charity, or love than any other arbitrary philosophy.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:33 PM  

TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
See, I've never heard that. I know there has been nearly constant criticism of Christianity for the past 2000+ years, but it seems like it's generally been swept under the rug. I remember in elementary school, thinking that the president was universally considered a great guy, police were our friends, every stranger was out to get us, and religion could do no wrong. These were things I learned before puberty, when the adults in my life insisted on shielding me from reality.

I know now that none of the things I just said are true - the president does his job as he sees fit - on average, half the people will despise him for it, and half will think he's doing at least an OK job. Police aren't our friends, but people doing a job. You can trust a friend to help you get yourself out of trouble; you can trust a cop to help society find justice, regardless of how that hurts or helps you when you find yourself in trouble. Odds are infinitesimally low that a randomly selected "stranger" wants to cause harm to a child - statistically, it's NOT the "stranger" one needs to worry about, but a friend, family member, or someone else who violates a position of trust. And religion has no greater claim to truth, morality, understanding, charity, or love than any other arbitrary philosophy.
When I was in the third and fourth grades, McKenzie and Milan Tennessee...my teachers assigned each one of the class a bible verse on Mondays to memorize and recite back to the class on Fridays. At least we've come that far. That's illegal...as it should be.

Our forebears had escaped a theocratic government where the church usurped everything else. They believed in a supreme being very close to what the American Indians believed. They basically despised the bible. Religious zealots have captured our government to the point that ordinary Americans vote against their own interests to support one which claims to energize ancient beliefs which should be dead by now.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:16 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Ah, yes, the old "If you're suffering, it's because you turned from god" argument. Thus the reason that all atheists are sick, homeless, unemployed and starving, and all theists are happy, healthy, well educated and well-employed. Oh wait...

This sort of theistic logic gave us the idea that if you get sick, it's because you've offended the gods, and should pray for salvation instead of going to a hospital.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
What's So Great About Christianity?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Dinesh D'Souza - Liberty University Convocation

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.