Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
Can't we just agree on one thing?

To disagree.

You are not going to change someone's religious or political views, no matter how hard you try. People must come around on their own circumstances.

I know that most religions want or even require you to 'recruit' others, but why talk in circles? What are you gaining?

You are not going to convince an atheist there is a god. They must find him/her/it on their own. Same goes with politics. A dem is a dem and a rep is a rep. Get over it already.

100% of people are never going to agree on anything.

All the topics here lately seem to be users just talking in circles. At least drink a beer prior so you have an excuse.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:59 PM  

Well said Britt!

Old 08-11-2011, 02:22 PM  
What page are you on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Well said Britt!
When I get off, I'm gonna have a beer and I'll be back to talk in circles. lol

Kidding... about talking in circles.

Yay beer!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:53 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Well said Britt!
Then the forum must be shutting down. The choice to type, as well as the choice to read, is voluntary.

I'm assuming both of you will no longer be doing either?...at least in the Religion/Philosophy and Politics threads?
Old 08-11-2011, 03:23 PM  
island girl

Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney View Post
To disagree.

You are not going to change someone's religious or political views, no matter how hard you try. People must come around on their own circumstances.

I know that most religions want or even require you to 'recruit' others, but why talk in circles? What are you gaining?

You are not going to convince an atheist there is a god. They must find him/her/it on their own. Same goes with politics. A dem is a dem and a rep is a rep. Get over it already.

100% of people are never going to agree on anything.

All the topics here lately seem to be users just talking in circles. At least drink a beer prior so you have an excuse.
THANK YOU!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:51 PM  
What page are you on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Then the forum must be shutting down. The choice to type, as well as the choice to read, is voluntary.

I'm assuming both of you will no longer be doing either?...at least in the Religion/Philosophy and Politics threads?
I'm going to keep my mouth shut. You and I are not even close being on the same page. We never will be. EVER.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:28 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post

As a moderator, it is my job to read everything posted on this and many other forums. I really don't care what is posted, but I speak for myself that it does get old reading God is good, God is non-existant, God is good, God is non-existant, Republicans suck, Democrats suck, etc, etc. As I have said many times, there are two things which are a waste of time arguing about. One is politics, and the other is religion.

Carry on!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:20 PM  

I do feel for the mods of any forum...it's a Thankless job.

As for the "convincing" aspect of the earlier posts, I don't entirely follow. I definitely take a side less traveled on this forum. Those that have differing opinions either respond with their views or opinions on the subject or they make statements that reflect poorly on anyone's opinion. I have been guilty of that in the past as well. I'm trying hard to be Christ Like...I'm not always successful.

I read most posts on the Religion/Philosophy thread and have never felt anyone was trying to "convince" me of anything. 99% of the time there is opposition (like now), but no one tries to convince me of anything. There are primarily statements of Unbelief intertwined with my statements of belief.

Now, if the perception is that I am trying to convince anyone of my beliefs...I guess I'm not wasting my time and I appreciate the notice. It is not my goal to convince, but to share, and I greatly appreciate the forum owners for this venue.

I AM NOBODY TELLING EVERYBODY ABOUT SOMEBODY!

Havasu, THANKS FOR YOUR HARD WORK.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 PM  

Kent, Ohio
At the time I write this, this thread has been viewed 31 times, but only received 7 responses from a total of 4 people.

This suggests to me that there are several other interested parties following along. If we look at the several talking-in-circles threads, we see a similar pattern - a lot more people reading than writing. While I may not convince Hillman that the god he's telling everybody about exists only within his mind, the same can't be said of the people viewing playing along at home.

Should we agree to disagree? I would say "no". The status quo in the US is "Christianity". The status quo will only change when it is challenged; when people come to understand that just because it "is" doesn't mean it is "right".

Will I change the mind of an ardent believer? Of course not. My objective in arguing with such a person is not to silence him or convince him to change his mind. My objective is only to present a strong counterargument. To deny him the benefit of running unopposed.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:28 PM  

RA, point well taken.

FYI, anytime a new post is written, us Mods (which there are many) have the job of reviewing, which adds to the view count.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads