Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2011, 07:30 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney View Post
To disagree.

You are not going to change someone's religious or political views, no matter how hard you try. People must come around on their own circumstances.

I know that most religions want or even require you to 'recruit' others, but why talk in circles? What are you gaining?

You are not going to convince an atheist there is a god. They must find him/her/it on their own. Same goes with politics. A dem is a dem and a rep is a rep. Get over it already.

100% of people are never going to agree on anything.

All the topics here lately seem to be users just talking in circles. At least drink a beer prior so you have an excuse.
But I can't drink alcoholic beverages . . .EVER, what am I suppose to do?

Old 08-12-2011, 07:44 AM  
AZ Resident

Surprise, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
At the time I write this, this thread has been viewed 31 times, but only received 7 responses from a total of 4 people.

This suggests to me that there are several other interested parties following along. If we look at the several talking-in-circles threads, we see a similar pattern - a lot more people reading than writing. While I may not convince Hillman that the god he's telling everybody about exists only within his mind, the same can't be said of the people viewing playing along at home.
Maybe many are like myself who enter the thread to read and maybe post but then are inundated with off topic banters that obscure the original topic.

Yes I could put op an "Off Topic" smiley and comment on the OP but as I've seen so many times before, those single posts just get lost amongst the multitude of nonsense.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:55 AM  

Could the abundance of lurkers be.....believers who wish not to comment due to..............
Old 08-12-2011, 10:20 AM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
I read most posts on the Religion/Philosophy thread and have never felt anyone was trying to "convince" me of anything. 99% of the time there is opposition (like now), but no one tries to convince me of anything. There are primarily statements of Unbelief intertwined with my statements of belief.

Now, if the perception is that I am trying to convince anyone of my beliefs...I guess I'm not wasting my time and I appreciate the notice. It is not my goal to convince, but to share, and I greatly appreciate the forum owners for this venue.
Maybe because it's you who is doing the 'convincing'. Why enter the Atheist thread when you're not one? Because you want to post scripture after scripture. Why? To 'tell everyone about Somebody' I assume. To talk in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
But I can't drink alcoholic beverages . . .EVER, what am I suppose to do?
Call on me! Ill get the job done for you!

Quote:
Could the abundance of lurkers be.....believers who wish not to comment due to..............
Or maybe its non-believers who think you're nuts? I Assure you the 'abundance' you speak of is mods and admins.

My point is, we aren't going to agree. So if you see a thread about non-believers, stay out. Why go in there and start crap, ruining a decent thread? If you don't believe, why go into a christian thread spouting off atheism crap? It's pointless and it ruins threads. It becomes a back and forth argument over what's real and what's not.

If you believe in your imaginary friend, and you think that's normal... so be it.

If you think having imaginary friends lands you in the looney bin... so be it.

You're killing good threads. Period.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
or people who don't like indoctrination, even the OP had it in their post pushing people to find "god" as an eventuality....
Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 AM  
Traveler

I just scanned the thread--have a general idea of what you are talking about.

I have 'been there' and don't want a T shirt.

If anyone had told me there would be problems with attending a church as a child --I wouldn't have believed them--but in some cases it is true.

At present my main concern is the beliefs of my Mother--which aren't unusual --but she uses them in a rather unChristian way.

What my friend's family did with a similar situation was recognize the problem and live their lives anyway. I think this is a good idea--not certain how successful I will be--there were 4 of them and only one of me. Wish me luck.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.