Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 06-20-2011, 05:44 PM  
mohel
 
blucher's Avatar

Keizer, OR
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,383 | Kudos: +123
Images: 99
genes

The message you have entered is too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
I don't. The closest I would come would be to say *religion* is a lottery, but even that would be a less-than-accurate description that would tend to imply the existence of a person before they were alive. It is your arguments that suggest that life - or more specifically, "afterlife" - is a lottery.

I don't buy lottery tickets. I worked for a bookie who taught me gambling is for chumps. I also read the odds on the tickets.

Ever hear of say a Mormon household raising their kids Catholic or vice versa? Parents are godlike and can do little wrong to a kid barely in long pants.

It was many years before I was certain Catholicism held little for me and left it.

In a sense religion is genetic since you get your parents.

Life and religion are a lottery in the same way that an accent is a lottery.
__________________

__________________
I'll believe corporations are persons when Texas executes one.: LBJ's Ghost
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:34 PM  
Traveler

Acworth, GA
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6 | Kudos: +11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rugged Crosser View Post
Interesting that you guys see life as a lottery.
I don't know and you don't either. One thing I'll bet. That the eternal fate of mankind wasn't left in the hands of ignorant, primtive shepherds who believed the earth was flat and the universe revolved around it and that a loving, caring god chose to never show up again. The Jews wrote that nonsense and now they don't even believe it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:02 PM  
Member

Mill Creek, Washington
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 71 | Kudos: +14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnard View Post
I don't know and you don't either. One thing I'll bet. That the eternal fate of mankind wasn't left in the hands of ignorant, primtive shepherds who believed the earth was flat and the universe revolved around it and that a loving, caring god chose to never show up again. The Jews wrote that nonsense and now they don't even believe it.
Barnard, That rant was just that. It did not make any sense. How about another try.
__________________
Old Goat aka
Old Rugged Crosser. Wheelen a Old Rugged Crossen 72 CJ-5
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:06 AM  
Traveler

Acworth, GA
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6 | Kudos: +11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rugged Crosser View Post
Barnard, That rant was just that. It did not make any sense. How about another try.
What part of it you would like to prove wrong? The only way to prove anything in the bible is with the bible.

The Jews wrote it and they no longer believe it. At that time the primitives were ignorant and believed the earth was flat and the universe revolved around it. If god was so nonchalant about the eternal fate of mankind that he left the only keys to the kingdom in their care I wouldn't want to worship him anyway. That's the truth.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 PM  
Member

Mill Creek, Washington
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 71 | Kudos: +14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnard View Post
What part of it you would like to prove wrong? The only way to prove anything in the bible is with the bible.

The Jews wrote it and they no longer believe it. At that time the primitives were ignorant and believed the earth was flat and the universe revolved around it. If god was so nonchalant about the eternal fate of mankind that he left the only keys to the kingdom in their care I wouldn't want to worship him anyway. That's the truth.

Barnard, You believe that the primitives were so ignorant that they were not worthy of God's communication. I suppose you qualify?
__________________
Old Goat aka
Old Rugged Crosser. Wheelen a Old Rugged Crossen 72 CJ-5
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:57 PM  
Senior Member

TN
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 118 | Kudos: +26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rugged Crosser View Post

Barnard, You believe that the primitives were so ignorant that they were not worthy of God's communication. I suppose you qualify?
Hey man...it was them who spoke from a child's imagination. It was them who fell for the tales told by the Jews and now the Jews don't even believe it. It was them who fell for "walkin on water," "water into wine," "healing leprosy by touching," "raising from the dead," "feeding 6 or 8 thousand with two fish and five loaves then gathering 12 baskets of leftovers," "bleeding a man like a hog only to see him fit as a fiddle two days later," etc. etc. etc.

The only way anybody in their right mind believes that crock is if they were totally brainwashed when they were infants or small children.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:53 PM  
Senior Member
 
Hillman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 318 | Kudos: +31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorph View Post
The only way anybody in their right mind believes that crock is if they were totally brainwashed when they were infants or small children.
Not necessarily...................that "crock" can be revealed at a later stage in life as well. While we are in agreement that the un-corrupted mind of a child is more likely to accept the truth of scripture, more than the seasoned sinner, the grace of that "crock" has blessed many people well beyond childhood.

You appear to be well versed in the bible. You'd think you'd know the most simple facts surrounding the Work of the Holy Spirit. Possibly...there is a revealed bias in your wording. Yeah, that's probably it...............
__________________
A nobody telling everybody about Somebody.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:18 AM  
Senior Member

TN
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 118 | Kudos: +26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Not necessarily...................that "crock" can be revealed at a later stage in life as well. While we are in agreement that the un-corrupted mind of a child is more likely to accept the truth of scripture, more than the seasoned sinner, the grace of that "crock" has blessed many people well beyond childhood.

You appear to be well versed in the bible. You'd think you'd know the most simple facts surrounding the Work of the Holy Spirit. Possibly...there is a revealed bias in your wording. Yeah, that's probably it...............
I studied the bible from my teen years till I was over sixty years old. I read the new testament at least ten times. It's plain and simple a fairy tale. I might add that the same savior, son of god story was told dozens of times before the Jewish version. All religion came from the developing imagination of primitive mankind who was afraid of the dark, the storms, the animals, dead remains laid around him and he devised an invisible man in the sky to help him deal with his fears. There is nothing to prove the bible except the bible itself.

I'm agnostic...I don't know if there's anything beyond this life but if there is you can bet every one of us will have an equal shot at it and not just a few who believe that 2000 year old tale which originated during the stone age.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:59 AM  
Senior Member
 
Hillman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 318 | Kudos: +31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorph View Post
I studied the bible from my teen years till I was over sixty years old. I read the new testament at least ten times(1). It's plain and simple a fairy tale. I might add that the same savior, son of god story was told dozens of times before the Jewish version. All religion (2) came from the developing imagination of primitive mankind who was afraid of the dark, the storms, the animals, dead remains laid around him and he devised an invisible man in the sky to help him deal with his fears (3). There is nothing to prove the bible except the bible itself (4).

I'm agnostic...I don't know if there's anything beyond this life but (5) if there is you can bet every one of us will have an equal shot at it (6) and not just a few who believe that 2000 year old tale which originated during the stone age.
1. 50 + years of bible study and all you are left with is this?
2. Using religion as a straw man is tantamount to holding your breathe and saying there is no oxygen!
3. "afraid of the dark, the storms, the animals, dead remains laid around him, fear"......those statements speak for themselves. No light, no peace, nothing good is seen in an existence without God.
4. If the goal is to "prove the bible" without God, you have a problem. If your goal is to dis-prove the bible without God.....you've got better chances.
5. The all important "but"..................
6. "It",........and what would "it" be?

Agnostic??, I say not so much.
__________________
A nobody telling everybody about Somebody.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:21 PM  
Member

Mill Creek, Washington
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 71 | Kudos: +14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorph View Post
I studied the bible from my teen years till I was over sixty years old. I read the new testament at least ten times. It's plain and simple a fairy tale. I might add that the same savior, son of god story was told dozens of times before the Jewish version. All religion came from the developing imagination of primitive mankind who was afraid of the dark, the storms, the animals, dead remains laid around him and he devised an invisible man in the sky to help him deal with his fears. There is nothing to prove the bible except the bible itself.

I'm agnostic...I don't know if there's anything beyond this life but if there is you can bet every one of us will have an equal shot at it and not just a few who believe that 2000 year old tale which originated during the stone age.
God has revealed the wonders of the word to us by the Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. And we speak about these things, not with words taught us by human wisdom, but with those taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual things to spiritual people. The unbeliever does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him. And he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

If you got nothing from your ten time read through you now know the reason why.
__________________

__________________
Old Goat aka
Old Rugged Crosser. Wheelen a Old Rugged Crossen 72 CJ-5
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.