Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 07-13-2011, 07:39 AM  
Senior Member

TN
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 118 | Kudos: +26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnard View Post
Seems to me the "things of god" were really devised by a group of ignorant ancient men.
No doubt about it. People who herded goats, were afraid of their own shadow, believed in a flat earth with water above and below it and gave human sacrifice to stone age gods...which never existed except in their own minds. That's the only place gods can be found today...in one's mind. Why else would there be over 4,000 ancient gods being worshiped and over 44,000 versions of Christianity?

Why would a loving caring god come along during primitive times and leave the only keys to the kingdom with a mob of ignorant people and never come again. Doesn't seem quite fair does it?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:13 AM  
mohel
 
blucher's Avatar

Keizer, OR
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,383 | Kudos: +123
Images: 99
Quote:
Why else would there be over 4,000 ancient gods being worshiped and over 44,000 versions of Christianity?
Can those numbers be trusted? I'd tried earlier to get a number for sects of Christianity but nothing I found looked that definitive.

Imagine, one book with what some see as immaculately unchanged form from it's 2000 year old original version spawns 44,000 versions of how to apply it's teachings. Meanwhile Sunni kill Shia, Hindus burn a train full of Muslims and cartoonists are murdered in the street.

I've long believed the evil agent behind this folly is certitude. Obviously 44,000 flavors can't all be valid yet you will find complete certitude among all versions that their one take on biblical teachings is the sole valid example. People might be more tolerant of eachother if they admitted this obvious disparity in conclusions.
__________________

__________________
I'll believe corporations are persons when Texas executes one.: LBJ's Ghost
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:37 PM  
Senior Member

TN
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 118 | Kudos: +26
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Can those numbers be trusted? I'd tried earlier to get a number for sects of Christianity but nothing I found looked that definitive.

Imagine, one book with what some see as immaculately unchanged form from it's 2000 year old original version spawns 44,000 versions of how to apply it's teachings. Meanwhile Sunni kill Shia, Hindus burn a train full of Muslims and cartoonists are murdered in the street.

I've long believed the evil agent behind this folly is certitude. Obviously 44,000 flavors can't all be valid yet you will find complete certitude among all versions that their one take on biblical teachings is the sole valid example. People might be more tolerant of eachother if they admitted this obvious disparity in conclusions.
I'll admit that I cannot find it now but a couple of years ago I read those exact figures. Over 4,000 gods being worshiped and over 44,000 versions of the new testament. Many of the variations of the Christian faith are in Africa. I guess the missionaries didn't realize what they were starting. One thing is for sure...it's a primitive fairy tale.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:00 PM  
Senior Member
 
Hillman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 318 | Kudos: +31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorph View Post
Why would a loving caring god come along during primitive times and leave the only keys to the kingdom with a mob of ignorant people and never come again. Doesn't seem quite fair does it?
My goodness Dorph you ask this same question over and over and over again!?! You and everyone else knows you don't really want an answer. All it does is expose just how ill prepared you are to have a conversation on such matters.

You acknowledge that God is loving and caring, which is telling in itself, then you walk the silly path to the land of grandiose self righteousness in your absolutely ridiculous establishment of the timing of God and man. Did you really expect Adam and Eve to have PhD's? And these "keys" you rant about....You acknowledge that there are multiple keys, but claim to not have one just because you elect not to use it. Is it the possession of the "key" that makes one ignorant or is one ignorant to possess the "key" and not use it?

You are correct on the fairness question and we should be rejoicing in the fact that God does not treat us fairly!
__________________
A nobody telling everybody about Somebody.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 PM  
Senior Member
 
Hillman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 318 | Kudos: +31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post

I've long believed the evil agent behind this folly is certitude. Obviously 44,000 flavors can't all be valid yet you will find complete certitude among all versions that their one take on biblical teachings is the sole valid example. People might be more tolerant of eachother if they admitted this obvious disparity in conclusions.
I can't attest to the 44K flavors but I agree with your general point. Your point is meant toward religions but this intolerance of certitude of virtually all factors of human existence has prevailed from the beginning of time...encompassing all human actions, not just religion. In fact, you are involved in a type of certitude yourself.

My thin thread of agreement with your statements lies in the fact that the one consistent globally agreed upon staple of these people you reference is that Christ Jesus is their Lord! It is how we acknowledge and live out that Lordship that is.....questionable.
__________________
A nobody telling everybody about Somebody.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:38 PM  
Senior Member
 
Hillman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 318 | Kudos: +31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorph View Post
Many of the variations of the Christian faith are in Africa. I guess the missionaries didn't realize what they were starting. One thing is for sure...it's a primitive fairy tale.
Uhhhhhhhhhhh, yeah, they knew then and we know it now! By your own admission, "Many of the variations of the Christian faith are in Africa." Missionaries have a global commission. You might try Googleing it, we're everywhere!

Do you mean Africans aren't capable or worthy of being Christians? That would be raci..............naw, that surely isn't your point....is it?
__________________
A nobody telling everybody about Somebody.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 PM  
Traveler

Acworth, GA
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6 | Kudos: +11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Uhhhhhhhhhhh, yeah, they knew then and we know it now! By your own admission, "Many of the variations of the Christian faith are in Africa." Missionaries have a global commission. You might try Googleing it, we're everywhere!

Do you mean Africans aren't capable or worthy of being Christians? That would be raci..............naw, that surely isn't your point....is it?
No Not at all. Africa was a fruitful ground. Christians have concentrated on it. Remember...the Christians have been "Spreading The Gospel!" If they didn't have infants and small children and the downtrodden they wouldn't have anyone.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 PM  
Senior Member
 
Hillman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 318 | Kudos: +31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnard View Post
No Not at all. Africa was a fruitful ground. Christians have concentrated on it. Remember...the Christians have been "Spreading The Gospel!" If they didn't have infants and small children and the downtrodden they wouldn't have anyone.
No, not at all what? Are you speaking for Dorph?

As for the infants, children, and downtrodden, I'm none of those and I'm a Christian. I became a Christian as an adult and suspect many many believers do as well. "Infants" don't have the capacity to believe, "small children" can but few do, and the downtrodden are , as you noted, ripe for harvest.

But, that...is the commission!

BTW, Africa IS A FRUITFUL GROUND.
__________________
A nobody telling everybody about Somebody.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 PM  
Senior Member

TN
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 118 | Kudos: +26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
No, not at all what? Are you speaking for Dorph?

As for the infants, children, and downtrodden, I'm none of those and I'm a Christian. I became a Christian as an adult and suspect many many believers do as well. "Infants" don't have the capacity to believe, "small children" can but few do, and the downtrodden are , as you noted, ripe for harvest.

But, that...is the commission!

BTW, Africa IS A FRUITFUL GROUND.
Then you're one in a million. Virgin birth, walking on water, healing by touching, water into wine, feeding thousands with two fish and five loaves, raising from the dead, resurrection, c'mon now...get real.

Just how much BS can one reasonable, logical adult absorb?
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 AM  
Senior Member
 
Hillman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 318 | Kudos: +31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorph View Post
Then you're one in a million. Virgin birth, walking on water, healing by touching, water into wine, feeding thousands with two fish and five loaves, raising from the dead, resurrection, c'mon now...get real.

Just how much BS can one reasonable, logical adult absorb?
Naw,....I'm not alone, in body or Spirit. There are many just like me. I can't fully explain "how", but I can explain "why" these things happened. You can't explain how and you don't believe why, so they didn't happen (for you).

All the miracles you mentioned make my head spin sometimes as well. Where you get hung up on the "how, I am rejoicing in the "why"! It's like watching, excitedly, as a delivery truck enters your neighborhood and you know "why" because you, based on what you did, are expecting a new.....something, but if you know you haven't done anything to expect that delivery, you could care less. Christians expect a "delivery" everyday based on "why" those miracles happened and how they have responded.

Like I said, makes my head spin.
__________________

__________________
A nobody telling everybody about Somebody.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.