Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy

Reply
Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 PM  
Senior Member
 
Funetical's Avatar

Austin
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 345 | Kudos: +20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
I did, he didn't answer, guess he doesn't really exist then
Or he's ignoring you. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:53 PM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 133 | Kudos: +15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
but I think you may mean it facetiously.
You already know me too well.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:54 PM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 133 | Kudos: +15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
Or he's ignoring you. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.
I actually like that. I think I want to us that as my signature.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:06 AM  
Senior Member
 
Jake7's Avatar

Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,294 | Kudos: +135
Images: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
Or he's ignoring you. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.


Ahhh, therein lies the rub.
__________________
Discover Scentsy at Lucky Lucy Scentsy Products - an independent Scentsy consultant!


https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:29 AM  
Great Dane Loving Jeeper

San Antonio, TX
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 52 | Kudos: +12
Very difficult to prove the negative.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:52 AM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 133 | Kudos: +15
So there is this guy at work, he's never on time, always late. He never shows any initiative. Always doing JUST ENOUGH. So one day he goes to the boss and asked for a raise. The boss doesn't reply and the man goes on his way. Does that mean the company has no money or does that mean the man doesn't deserve it?

I've personally asked God for guidance and got it. Sat two days wondering how I would handle this situation. Had no clue. My wife (at the time) and I sat down and prayed for help. I woke up the next morning knowing exactly what I needed to do, where to do it and how to do it. Not only did it fix the problem but also saved a very close and long friendship.

Back in the early 90's my little brother died. It hit me hard. We were very close. I went through a very long and bad path. Hurt a lot of people. I remember coming off my high and waking up to a gun next to my head. I was so close to doing something that I could never undo. I just lost my best friend and my first wife took my baby and left (that happened first). I was WAY lost. That morning I woke up God spoke to me. It's not like talking to your mom, but yet you understand him. I knew what I had to do. I was involved with people that you don't just leave. Yet I was able to do just that.

Why did God answer my prayers and not yours? Why does God not answer the prayers of others?

Why give a raise to someone that doesn't really deserve it? Why ask for something that you don't really need. Pour people ask for money. But there are people that have millions that are unhappy. So why would he grant that? I'm not rich, yet I've very happy with my life. I pray just because, not just when I need. If you only pray when you need him then you don't really love him, you use him. In that case he wont help.

You may have tried to talk to him, but if you don't truly believe why should he answer? You give yourself to God, not God giving to you. After all, he doesn't need you.
__________________
The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:46 AM  
Senior Member
 
Funetical's Avatar

Austin
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 345 | Kudos: +20
I disagree he doesn't need you, what would be the point of creation? Even in the omniscient scope, he created because he had to create, he is in and of himself creation, which means he has control, while maintaining no control.

The thought of prayer and meditation is all about combining your parts of consciousness. In order to be happy, your I and you me, have to be simpatico. We all know right and wrong, we all know what to do, but sometimes the I gets in the way.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:29 AM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 133 | Kudos: +15
I guess this will be where we disagree then. If God needed you why hasn't he returned? Every day more and more people are born to families that don't believe. He created us but it (not that I know of) doesn't state why he did. If he needs you to believe then he wouldn't have killed the people that refused him. All he would have had to do is show himself. The same goes for today. If God came and all of a sudden millions of believers just disappeared the rest of the world would realize their error and everyone would be begging for forgiveness and doing anything to prove their love for him. But that’s not how it works. You need God. With out God there is no heaven, no salvation for us. God doesn’t have to worry about hell.

As humans go, I think the idea of God needing us is one of our worst mistakes.
Right up there with not believing.
__________________
The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:35 PM  
Senior Member
 
Jake7's Avatar

Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,294 | Kudos: +135
Images: 45
God isn't rational.

You can try to reason out his motives all you want, but in the end, the human mind just can't understand.

Like the concept of him being omnipotent, or him being around forever. The human mind just can't wrap its head around that concept, and that's the way it's supposed to be.

God definitely loves mankind, though. That much is made abundantly clear in the Bible.
__________________
Discover Scentsy at Lucky Lucy Scentsy Products - an independent Scentsy consultant!


https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:48 PM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 133 | Kudos: +15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
God isn't rational.

You can try to reason out his motives all you want, but in the end, the human mind just can't understand.

Like the concept of him being omnipotent, or him being around forever. The human mind just can't wrap its head around that concept, and that's the way it's supposed to be.

God definitely loves mankind, though. That much is made abundantly clear in the Bible.
I think it?s easy to understand him. The main thing is to give your self to him completely. If you can do that he makes it pretty clear. As a whole, people have become too conceded. I think it?s foolish to think God needs us. He created us, and he?s killed us all at the same time with never batting an eye! Why would he need us? To night, look outside. Do you honestly think that we are the only beings that God has ever created? The bible was written how long ago? We pissed him off and he?s left us to fend for ourselves. Those who do good and believe will go home to him, those that don?t go to hell. To think we are his world is to me conceded.
__________________

__________________
The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.