Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2010, 11:44 AM  

Fort Collins, Colorado
I was a devout Christian for years. Fully 100% believed and "gave myself" to him. Asked him to come take my life as his own and all that jive. Long story short, life got pretty rough and I continued to believe anyways, but nothing ever got better. Pretty soon, I pulled my head out of my ass and helped myself. Realized that was all it had been the whole time. Subconsciously I had tricked myself into thinking it was god, but it was always me. After losing my religion, I became a much happier, moral, giving, confident, generous, caring friend and human being.

Oughta say something about oh mr. wonderful god.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:45 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hah, it says nothing about God. He tests us constantly, and things do get rough, of course.

Just because you failed the test, doesn't make God any different. He still loves you

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 10-29-2010, 08:18 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
I was a devout Christian for years. Fully 100% believed and "gave myself" to him. Asked him to come take my life as his own and all that jive. Long story short, life got pretty rough and I continued to believe anyways, but nothing ever got better. Pretty soon, I pulled my head out of my ass and helped myself. Realized that was all it had been the whole time. Subconsciously I had tricked myself into thinking it was god, but it was always me. After losing my religion, I became a much happier, moral, giving, confident, generous, caring friend and human being.

You were never 'saved' to begin with.

The easiest person for you to lie to is yourself.

Scott
Old 10-29-2010, 08:32 PM  
Tea Party Liberal

Mesa, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmurphy View Post
You were never 'saved' to begin with.

The easiest person for you to lie to is yourself.

Scott
I will have to side with Willy there: note the first sentence in his post you quoted. If that ain't being 'saved' AKA being 'devout', then I don't know what to say.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:36 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Romans 14:11
For it is written, [As] I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

The OP fooled those of you who responded, for the most part, it is an arguement that cannot be won.

In the end ALL will know, all will face the judgement of a just and righteous God. You're knee too shall bow.

Commandment II, Thou shall not take thy Lord's name in vain....

Making a mockery of God is taking his name in vain, the penelty is everlasting torment.

The Kingdom of God is Within you | The Kingdom of Heaven is within you | The Gates of the Kingdom

This is a good read, not what I was looking for but....

Remember, the will be plenty of 'good christians' in Hell too, plenty.

Scott
Old 10-29-2010, 08:39 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I will have to side with Willy there: note the first sentence in his post you quoted. If that ain't being 'saved' AKA being 'devout', then I don't know what to say.
Devout has NOTHING to do with being 'saved'.

You too should read.

The Kingdom of God is Within you | The Kingdom of Heaven is within you | The Gates of the Kingdom

Scott
Old 10-29-2010, 08:56 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
More to the point-

Matthew 7:13,14

13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Scott
Old 10-29-2010, 09:39 PM  

san marcos, texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post

I completely agree with you Willy, I was raised a non-denominational christian and believed it all my life. I always doubted it a little especially when adults did or said things that just didn't add up or make sense, but I was taught to keep the fear of God in me and never to doubt "the absolute truth"

Once I moved away for college and was away from all the brainwashing (I went to private school) I began to think for myself and question what I was taught. Suddenly I was able to see all the problems with religion and all the discrepancies in the bible. Choosing not to believe in the Bible was the most freeing decision I have ever made. And surprisingly enough, I am a much better person now, because I do good on my own accord not to score brownie points for the afterlife.

The Christian religion uses fear to control its people, saying you will go to hell if you don't accept Christ. I say there is no hell, and even if there is, at least all the preachy christians won't be there
Old 10-29-2010, 09:46 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
The title of this forum should read-

The Condemnation of Religion and Pholosophy.

Just sayin...

Scott
Old 10-29-2010, 10:15 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by addie View Post
I completely agree with you Willy, I was raised a non-denominational christian and believed it all my life. I always doubted it a little especially when adults did or said things that just didn't add up or make sense, but I was taught to keep the fear of God in me and never to doubt "the absolute truth"

Once I moved away for college and was away from all the brainwashing (I went to private school) I began to think for myself and question what I was taught. Suddenly I was able to see all the problems with religion and all the discrepancies in the bible. Choosing not to believe in the Bible was the most freeing decision I have ever made. And surprisingly enough, I am a much better person now, because I do good on my own accord not to score brownie points for the afterlife.

The Christian religion uses fear to control its people, saying you will go to hell if you don't accept Christ. I say there is no hell, and even if there is, at least all the preachy christians won't be there

I'm sorry you feel that way!

I, like you, was raised in a religious home - my dad was actually a preacher. I was just fed things, and never questioned them. When I left home, went to college, and now in the Marine Corps, I certainly learned to think on my own and really decide what I believe on my own accord.

At first, I was exactly like you - I strayed away and just decided to go it on my own, and I felt great. But over time, I certainly felt God's tug on me, and a longing to be near Him again. There was no fear mongering in my direction - I just came back to my relationship with Him.

I respect your opinion on it, and I certainly am not the type of person to impose my own views on anyone else or "preach"! Just throwing my own little mini-story out there.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.