Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 07-01-2011, 08:29 AM  
Senior Member
 
Hillman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 318 | Kudos: +31
Emotional, Illogical or Stupid?

Sorry for the long "blucher" (cut & paste) but this warranted posting: badp's learning center - What makes atheists stupid

While I am uncomfortable with some of the author's verbiage it does seem to be a recurring descriptive theme on the blogosphere. Comments?

What makes atheists stupid
Atheists hate being told they are stupid, ignorant, or foolish. Perhaps this is why Psalm 14:1 calls atheists fools, and not wicked or evil. Even though atheists proclaim a private morality, most couldn't care less about being viewed as evil or wicked in the sight of God, because they don't believe in Him. So even though everyone, including atheists, is fundamentally wicked, it doesn't usually resonate with an atheist if you tell him that.

If you want to get under an atheist's skin, tell him he's a moron. Not as an ad hominem attack, but as a demonstrable fact. So what makes atheists stupid? The atheist claims that he does not believe in God because he cannot see, hear, smell, touch, or taste Him. That then of course means that the atheist also does not believe in anything his senses cannot detect.

And while you would have no problem getting most atheists to admit this, you will probably not get him to admit that he has a glaring contradiction in his own beliefs. What is it? He believes he can only know only what his senses tell him, yet none of his senses tell him that. The atheist clearly has another reason for believing that he can only know what his senses tell him.

Once you get an atheist to this point, you have indisputably established two things:
1. The atheist's own beliefs contain a logical contradiction
2. The atheist is a liar

I would say that any person who is presented with a logical contradiction in their own beliefs and blatantly denies or ignores it is a total fool. Or stupid, or just a moron. I call these the Ignorant Atheists because they are ignorant of basic logic, or perhaps ignorant of what they actually believe (as strange as that sounds).


Now there are some atheists who admit they can know things above and beyond what their senses tell them. These atheists are also just as stupid and foolish as the atheists described above.

These atheists are a hair more honest than their brethren, but still just as stupid. They pick and choose to belief in ephemeral concepts such as goodness, badness, right, and wrong, but without any foundation other than their own opinion.

These atheists will typically say something like, "I believe in the goodness of life," or "I believe in morality without God" Obviously, the atheist's senses cannot detect "the goodness of life" or tell him what "goodness" is.

They simply choose not to believe in God because they don't want to. They cannot use the, "I don't see God" argument as a reason for their atheism because they readily believe in other things they cannot sense. Yet they will still try it, making them both hypocrites and fools. The reality is they do not want to believe in God, but are not ready to abandon all of God's precepts. I call them Emotional Atheists because they pick and choose their beliefs based on how they feel about them, rather than on any specific argument.
__________________

__________________
A nobody telling everybody about Somebody.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:01 AM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
wow, hate speech for the lose, no real argument just a post fool of atheists are stupid morons.

Just because atheists understand science and use logical reasoning instead of saying "I'm too stupid to understand science, and think for myself so god did it all and wants me to follow a 2000 year old book written by men about teachings of a prophet of his". You are taking the easy way out, not wanting to understand logic/ethics/science and wanting to belittle those who don't take the easy way of ignorance. christians can be ignorant of the facts if they want, but should not call the people who aren't ignorant morons, it just makes them look well, stupid.

Calling someone a moron.... let's see the atheists have science backing them up, so the beliefs are not just out of nowhere, we have scientific data to back up our reasoning, but by your definitions the religious refuse to believe the facts and accepted scientific understanding of the world, so who is really the morons? If this was math class and I refused to understand calculas because it is based on theories and thus false because it's just a scientific fact based theory you would call me an idiot, so why when it comes to the universe does that logic change and fact based scientific theories don't count for anything?


attitudes and speech like this are the reasons some atheists are militantly against stupidity of the religious, they make blind baseless accusations attacking atheists who statistically are more lawful, more educated people.

I like this quote on the youtube video comments
Quote:
Christianity =The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

I dont see any reason to respect superstitions or people who are enslaved to them. It's an insult to my intelligence to ask me to
but yet the religious call us stupid........





statistically speaking........

maybe this is why atheists are atheists?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:06 PM  
fustrated genius
 
HiHood's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,054 | Kudos: +100
where does that word come from to begin with? "good" to believe in the "goodness" of life is to believe in GOD ness of life. "SIN" means without used to say "without god"
Good Bye= "GOD be with you" same in Spanish "a dios" = "to GOD"

they also take holidays originally "Holy-day" declared by several "church-governments" so if there where actually a seperation of church and state, the way THEY percieve, there could be no holidays, and nothing "good" about it either. Well, sheesh, we're half way there now aren't we?

see? atheists talk GOD everyday.
__________________
Phewy!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:32 PM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
So even though everyone, including atheists, is fundamentally wicked, it doesn't usually resonate with an atheist if you tell him that.
Yes. Most generally reject the foundational idea that humanity is evil due to the lack of evidence, and the presence of contradictory information.
Quote:

If you want to get under an atheist's skin, tell him he's a moron. Not as an ad hominem attack, but as a demonstrable fact. So what makes atheists stupid? The atheist claims that he does not believe in God because he cannot see, hear, smell, touch, or taste Him. That then of course means that the atheist also does not believe in anything his senses cannot detect.
Partially true. I'd suggest adding "nor his mind can reason".
Quote:
And while you would have no problem getting most atheists to admit this, you will probably not get him to admit that he has a glaring contradiction in his own beliefs. What is it? He believes he can only know only what his senses tell him, yet none of his senses tell him that. The atheist clearly has another reason for believing that he can only know what his senses tell him.
You said it right there - he has REASON.
Quote:

Once you get an atheist to this point, you have indisputably established two things:
1. The atheist's own beliefs contain a logical contradiction
2. The atheist is a liar
Or:
3. You've misunderstood the atheist's position.
Quote:

I would say that any person who is presented with a logical contradiction in their own beliefs and blatantly denies or ignores it is a total fool. Or stupid, or just a moron.
I would agree. Completely.
Quote:

I call these the Ignorant Atheists because they are ignorant of basic logic, or perhaps ignorant of what they actually believe (as strange as that sounds).
There may be some people who qualify as what you describe as "Ignorant Atheists", but in my experience, they are much rarer than you would have us believe. Certainly not sufficient to justify applying the stereotype to atheists in general.
Quote:
Now there are some atheists who admit they can know things above and beyond what their senses tell them. These atheists are also just as stupid and foolish as the atheists described above.
Ok, THIS should be good...
Quote:

These atheists are a hair more honest than their brethren, but still just as stupid. They pick and choose to belief in ephemeral concepts such as goodness, badness, right, and wrong, but without any foundation other than their own opinion.
Ok, yes, again, there may be *some* who fit into that category. But again, not enough to justify the stereotype.
Quote:

These atheists will typically say something like, "I believe in the goodness of life," or "I believe in morality without God" Obviously, the atheist's senses cannot detect "the goodness of life" or tell him what "goodness" is.
Pain=Bad, Pleasure=Good - all of human morality can derive from those two points.
Quote:

They simply choose not to believe in God because they don't want to. They cannot use the, "I don't see God" argument as a reason for their atheism because they readily believe in other things they cannot sense. Yet they will still try it, making them both hypocrites and fools. The reality is they do not want to believe in God, but are not ready to abandon all of God's precepts. I call them Emotional Atheists because they pick and choose their beliefs based on how they feel about them, rather than on any specific argument.
Yes, there are probably *some* "Emotional Atheists" out there. Again, not enough to justify the stereotype.
__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:31 PM  
Traveler

Mill Creek, Washington
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 58 | Kudos: +12
I've never seen so many fools arguing scratching and clawing their way into Eternal Damnation as we have here. Have at it boys!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:48 PM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldruggedcrosser View Post
I've never seen so many fools arguing scratching and clawing their way into Eternal Damnation as we have here. Have at it boys!
More threats, more unfounded assumptions, more ad hominem... None of which bring credit to your ideas. It is very difficult to take you seriously when you jump to such fallacious arguments as these. There was a time when such infantile statements would have swayed me, but that time has long since past. My sincere hope is that this sort of argument holds no influence over others in the future; that all people will come to acquire their beliefs through reason and logic and not out of fear of threat and ridicule.
__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:04 PM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
where does that word come from to begin with? "good" to believe in the "goodness" of life is to believe in GOD ness of life. "SIN" means without used to say "without god"
Good Bye= "GOD be with you" same in Spanish "a dios" = "to GOD"

they also take holidays originally "Holy-day" declared by several "church-governments" so if there where actually a seperation of church and state, the way THEY percieve, there could be no holidays, and nothing "good" about it either. Well, sheesh, we're half way there now aren't we?

see? atheists talk GOD everyday.
This says more about the history of western culture than anything else. Your argument implies that a christian whose native language is Arabic is actually not a christian at all, but a muslim. I'd continue, but I suspect that you're not seriously making this argument.
__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:34 PM  
fustrated genius
 
HiHood's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,054 | Kudos: +100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
This says more about the history of western culture than anything else. Your argument implies that a christian whose native language is Arabic is actually not a christian at all, but a muslim. I'd continue, but I suspect that you're not seriously making this argument.
what it says is that atheists everyday, speak of GOD yet say they don't believe.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:58 PM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
what it says is that atheists everyday, speak of GOD yet say they don't believe.
"Sour Grapes"

Those two words probably have meaning to you, as they do for most English speakers. They refer to one of Aesop's Fables. A fox, after making several a futile attempt at obtaining a bunch of grapes, walked away, uttering that they were probably sour anyway.

Yet I am fairly certain that you don't believe in talking foxes.
__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:01 PM  
fustrated genius
 
HiHood's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,054 | Kudos: +100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
"Sour Grapes"

Those two words probably have meaning to you, as they do for most English speakers. They refer to one of Aesop's Fables. A fox, after making several a futile attempt at obtaining a bunch of grapes, walked away, uttering that they were probably sour anyway.

Yet I am fairly certain that you don't believe in talking foxes.
I am not English and have never heard the term. My first language is a form of English that is often referred to as "American-English"
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.