Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2011, 06:05 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
I am not English and have never heard the term. My first language is a form of English that is often referred to as "American-English"

You know what? I hate you.

(j/k)

Old 07-03-2011, 06:15 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
You know what? I hate you.

(j/k)
I won't judge you on your hatred issues either, it must be rough enough to not have a GOD to pray to for a SMALL fee, I can sign you up at my church.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:41 PM  
Traveler

Mill Creek, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
"Sour Grapes"

Those two words probably have meaning to you, as they do for most English speakers. They refer to one of Aesop's Fables. A fox, after making several a futile attempt at obtaining a bunch of grapes, walked away, uttering that they were probably sour anyway.

Yet I am fairly certain that you don't believe in talking foxes.
RA: Here again you sidestep the issue. You are the one who brought up the Aesop's fables and sour grapes.

If you are so right on as you project yourself to be why sidestep so many questions?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:10 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldruggedcrosser View Post
RA: Here again you sidestep the issue. You are the one who brought up the Aesop's fables and sour grapes.
That response specifically addresses comments HiHood made about the english language including references to god in common parlance. It was asserted that because "Good Bye" is a contraction of the phrase "God Be with you", that any time an atheist said "Good Bye" he was acknowledging the existence of god.

A person using the phrase "Sour Grapes" need not believe the literal truth the fable; he's using the phrase to express an idea that most likely has nothing to do with grapes or foxes, let alone talking foxes. Similarly, a person using the phrase "Good Bye" is expressing a pleasantry, not necessarily a belief in god.
Quote:

If you are so right on as you project yourself to be why sidestep so many questions?
I think I've demonstrated that there was no sidestepping of any issue, but a direct rebuttal of an earlier argument.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 AM  

Think about it, Atheists couldn't even curse (an appeal to a supernatural power for harm to come to a specific person, group, etc.) were it not for God.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:58 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Think about it, Atheists couldn't even curse (an appeal to a supernatural power for harm to come to a specific person, group, etc.) were it not for God.
Good point but, once I thought about it, I've never heard a true atheist curse anyone or thing.

Emphasis on "true". There are some atheist who spew for the shock factor, but then again, there are some professed Christians who.......spew as well.

My
Old 07-05-2011, 10:18 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Sounds like you're equivocating "cursing" and the use of expletives. I know plenty of people who do the the latter, but only a theist or other believer of supernatural powers could do the former.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:59 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Good point but, once I thought about it, I've never heard a true atheist curse anyone or thing.

Emphasis on "true". There are some atheist who spew for the shock factor, but then again, there are some professed Christians who.......spew as well.

My
I hadn't thought of it that way, good point.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads