Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2011, 01:56 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
I wonder how many people start studying religion and then realize how much of a load of crap it is and turn atheists, granted the simple bible stories are absurd enough.

and there was one poll done recently where atheists knew more about various religions then religious people do:

Atheists, Jews, Mormons top U.S. religious knowledge poll | FaithWorld
I'm glad! I've studied religion all my life, and while I've been tempted, I've never given into the weakness of it being "a load of crap." If you're that weak, then you have no place in religion - it's hard.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 05-19-2011, 02:17 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Darn right it's hard.

So many to look at and the research can be confusing with polar opposites more common than full agreement. About the only thing they have in common is a belief that they're right and everyone else is wrong.

I did find growing spiritually was easier but there the difficulty is more in changing to meet God's wishes.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:33 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
True.

It's very difficult, and some people would rather just go the totally opposite way and try to tear it down, rather than really try it. I mean, I'd never force my religion on anyone - I respect everyone's decision. I don't go around telling people they're lost and pathetic, and I just appreciate them, on the other side of it, telling me that my religion is baseless and they think it's not true. It's a happy balance that I've enjoyed so far in life!

Old 05-19-2011, 03:01 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I mean, I'd never force my religion on anyone - I respect everyone's decision.
I think our founders had the same idea. No religion should be above others in a land that asks respect for ALL to worship as they please.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:13 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
When they came over, they were mainly running away from religious persecution - I believe that was the spirit they wrote the separation of church and state in. Do you feel persecuted? We've got it pretty good religiously over here.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:50 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
I'm glad! I've studied religion all my life, and while I've been tempted, I've never given into the weakness of it being "a load of crap." If you're that weak, then you have no place in religion - it's hard.
excuse me but what is hard about believing in what the majority do, christians don't get ridiculed or excluded as openly as atheists do. If I went around town and started a conversation with say 200 people and told 100 each that I was an atheist or a christian you would really place your bet that when I stated I was a christian I would receive a harsher response?

you really think christians have it harder in america? Unless you are claiming that it hard to convince yourself that fairy tales are true and keep believing in that, otherwise being an atheist and having your belief truly confronted just by the size religion all the time is far harder.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:37 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
For me, giving in to doubters and giving up on believing in anything would be being weak.

For you, believing in anything would be being weak.

I think we just have different definitions of being weak.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:50 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
For me, giving in to doubters and giving up on believing in anything would be being weak.

For you, believing in anything would be being weak.

I think we just have different definitions of being weak.
It's not about definitions, it's just what is easier and what isn't, maybe in your area it's different, but If I became a "christian" I would be far better off, but I couldn't convince myself to believe in such ideology, I am seriously going against the grain where I live, sure it's not the deep south but when over 80% of the people around me claim to be christians I'm certainly not "going with the flow" so unless you can claim the majority of people around you are not christian I cannot see how you can justify that being a christian is hard.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:06 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm not going to have a "who's life is harder" pissing contest here.

Saying you're a Christian is easy. Actually being a Christian is much harder. And that argument goes much deeper, of course.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:43 AM  

TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Debunking Dr. Bart. D. Ehrman | Bible Translation - Welcome

Surely you can dig deeper into your ditch of liars than to pick a professed atheist to represent Jesus! Is it here where I refer back to the thread, "Just How Stupid Are Atheist"?

Bart D. Ehrman (born 1955) is an American New Testament scholar, currently the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Ehrman writes about the early Christians, using the term "proto-orthodox" to describe the Christian traditions that would later be defined as orthodox. He describes 1st- and 2nd-century Christians as not yet having a unified, orthodox tradition. He is the author of a number of books in this area, including Misquoting Jesus (2005), God's Problem (2008), and Jesus, Interrupted (2009).

In his books, he recounts his youthful enthusiasm as a born-again evangelical Christian, sure that God had inspired the very words of the Bible and protected them from all error. His graduate studies, however, eventually convinced him that the Bible makes more sense when one acknowledges its contradictions than when one creates elaborate explanations to reconcile them. He remained a Christian for 15 years but later became an agnostic because of the problem of evil and suffering. (Wikipedia) Dr. Ehrman is now an atheist.
Shucks...anybody who believes in walking on water, turning water into wine, healing leprosy by touching, raising from the dead, feeding 6000-8000 hungry folks with two fish and five loaves then gathering 12 baskets of leftovers, hanging a man on a tree, bleeding him like a hog only to see him fit as a fiddle two days later WILL BELIEVE ANYTHING.

P. T. Barnum said, "There's A Sucker Born Every Minute." Religion...any religion proves he was exactly right.

Without the continued brainwashing of innocent, gullible infants and small children of each generation that BS would die off pronto.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!