Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2011, 10:58 AM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
how about grandma?
Made at my gramma? for making cookies? HECK NO, silly!

Old 06-19-2011, 08:38 AM  
Dimensional Flux

Groinsboro, Tarheel
One of my Aunts would close letters and conversations with:
"MAY THE BLESSINGS BE!"

Applies to ALL Humans.
---
Not every Birth results in Life therefore ALL PRESENT LIVES are, as some claim, Miracles, and should be observed and accepted without stipulations of "born of sin", "born in sin", "damned without belief in jesus or god", ad infinitum, ad nauseam.

The Only requirement for LIFE is a DESIRE to Believe.
IF you have not such Desire, you're not cast aside for thou art of god and cannot be otherwise or thou aren't ALIVE.

"If thy hand, foot, leg, or head offend thee, cut it off"!!
---

Old 11-14-2011, 05:36 PM  

tucson, az
I see I have missed alot. Livelier than some threads fo sure.

I do not believe, I think. Neither seems satisfactory alone so I search. I have no argument against religion except all the wars and your morality and laws shoved down my throat and bieng called immoral for not believing. that and being condemned. That being said religion has also led to a LOT of good.

I only commented on here because the idea that the bible is forged is kind of odd TO ME and I don't undertand. By forgery do we mean someone claimed to be god who wrote it? In reading the old testament, which I have, I thought it was an interpetation of thwe word of god written by disciples, so forgery as in fake money doesn't even apply. Unless they weren;t really deisciples at all and were named phil instead of john.

Quote:
I'm assuming "that" includes the Bible. Even the most misinformed atheist know the Bible was authored by God. That doesn't mean you must believe it but....

2 Timothy 3:16 (New International Version)

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Consider yourself "taught, rebuked, and corrected".
this qoute is an example of what I think is wrong with some religious people. Self righteous and narrow minded. Nothing wrong wiht religion itself. I'm sorry your so defensive and felt attacked. I tried to raise a real question wiht some humor. All atheists are not uninformed my friend. In any case I am more of an agnostic or pagan. I just don't get the forged argument at all. Now claiming god wrote it with pen and ink, that I cannot understand either. Did he use a mac or a pc? Did he breath it or write it?

ps "that" was the orginal post, so yea condemn me for commenting on something I didn't read. Thats fair game. But not becuse I don;'t belive your version of the word.

can we agree GOD had ghost writers?

edit: ok I woke up this am and read the op, now that I am less uninformed (about christianity and how the new testament was written) clearly scribes were innnlvoved in using pens to write down what disciples/apostles "wrote" as interpretations of the word of "GOD". Clearly this aint fogery. Now telling a scibe you are an apostle if your not, thats forgery. Could some fisherman write, prbably, ancients (of all cultures) knew a lot more than we give them credit for sometimes. An interesting and entertaining read for those intersetd in how ancient texts were written and interpeted is "How the Irish Saved Civilization". If I rmeber right it's niehter for or against "religion". Its mostly for the Irish role in bringin us out of the dark ages and te value of all books and scholarship.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:26 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Also keep in mind that the Bible has been translated over 1,000 times, just that we know of. I specialize in linguistics, and I find this astounding. There is so much lost between languages, and so much added as well. Different grammatical features, different words altogether - all in all, I put stock in the general ideas of the Bible, but putting stock in a particular wording of something is just plain ill-advised and, with all due respect, ignorant to the reality of linguistics.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 PM  

Houston, Texas
What Jake said! The philosophy that the Bible and all monotheistic religions teach have more in common than in difference. The difference comes from the interpretation as applied by man.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:41 AM  

Houston, Texas
Religion is an accident of geography. If bin Laden had been born in Georgia he would be a Baptist burning the Koran in Florida. Had Bush (either, take your pick) been born in Saudi Arabia they would be militant Muslims. Where we are born/ raised determines or religious and philosophic beliefs more than anything else.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Religion is an accident of geography. If bin Laden had been born in Georgia he would be a Baptist burning the Koran in Florida. Had Bush (either, take your pick) been born in Saudi Arabia they would be militant Muslims. Where we are born/ raised determines or religious and philosophic beliefs more than anything else.
On the surface there would appear to be merit in such statements but eventual intellectual honesty (If not common sense!) raises it's revealing and convicting little head.

Without listing all of the examples of how this quote is....._____(fill in the blank), how do you explain Cat Stevens, Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali, Keith Ellison or Abdul-Karim al-Jabbar? They are all products of these geographically positioned Christian United States yet converted to Islam. Go here for a List of converts to Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it is extensive but not exhaustive.

Then how would you resolve all of the Christians being murdered in the Mid-East countries? They are supposedly geographically positoned to be Muslim yet converted to Christianity and yet being murdeded for it. Go here Jerusalem Post: Middle East Christians Are Being Killed by Radical Islamists Because of Their Faith, Threatening Their Very Existence ? MidnightWatcher's Blogspot .

While I have to assume that such statements are based in the lack of even the most basic of biblical exegesic skills, one would assume that if such a statement is made via a keyboard that access to the internet was avaialable as well......maybe a radio or TV.

Then again there is this....

Ephesians 1:3-4
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love

2 Tim. 2:10, For this reason I endure all things for the sake of those who are chosen, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus and with it eternal glory.

Allowing facts to rule, I'd say "geograhy" fails the logical test.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
On the surface there would appear to be merit in such statements but eventual intellectual honesty (If not common sense!) raises it's revealing and convicting little head.

Without listing all of the examples of how this quote is....._____(fill in the blank), how do you explain Cat Stevens, Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali, Keith Ellison or Abdul-Karim al-Jabbar? They are all products of these geographically positioned Christian United States yet converted to Islam. Go here for a List of converts to Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it is extensive but not exhaustive.

Then how would you resolve all of the Christians being murdered in the Mid-East countries? They are supposedly geographically positoned to be Muslim yet converted to Christianity and yet being murdeded for it. Go here Jerusalem Post: Middle East Christians Are Being Killed by Radical Islamists Because of Their Faith, Threatening Their Very Existence ? MidnightWatcher's Blogspot .

While I have to assume that such statements are based in the lack of even the most basic of biblical exegesic skills, one would assume that if such a statement is made via a keyboard that access to the internet was avaialable as well......maybe a radio or TV.

Then again there is this....

Ephesians 1:3-4
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love

2 Tim. 2:10, For this reason I endure all things for the sake of those who are chosen, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus and with it eternal glory.

Don't have to, don't need to and don't want to explain or justify anything. It's my opinion and only my opinion. When people start quoting the Bible to me I stop listening. Deal with it. BTW, Jesus called and he wants his halo back.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:59 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Don't have to, don't need to and don't want to explain or justify anything. It's my opinion and only my opinion. When people start quoting the Bible to me I stop listening. Deal with it. BTW, Jesus called and he wants his halo back.
OK, I understand and respect that. How about this.......(In reference to Post # 66)

Old 11-28-2011, 02:33 PM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
OK, I understand and respect that. How about this.......(In reference to Post # 66)

You just don't give up. Or get it for that matter. I guess it's second nature of religious zealots to be unconcerned for others beliefs. Which is exactly why I avoid you people at all cost. How to do that here on this forum? Meet Mr. Ignore Button. He's right over he...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.