Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2011, 03:06 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hillman made a pretty valid, logic-driven point...

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 11-28-2011, 06:59 PM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7
Hillman made a pretty valid, logic-driven point...
Depends on how logic is defined and how it's used. If you're a Christian I suppose it does. Given his argument I will leave you with this thought: the Crusades and Torquemada.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:31 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Depends on how logic is defined and how it's used. If you're a Christian I suppose it does. Given his argument I will leave you with this thought: the Crusades and Torquemada.
Classic "straw man" and a poor one at that.....what about the geography opinion?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:05 PM  

Charlottesville, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Religion is an accident of geography. If bin Laden had been born in Georgia he would be a Baptist burning the Koran in Florida. Had Bush (either, take your pick) been born in Saudi Arabia they would be militant Muslims. Where we are born/ raised determines or religious and philosophic beliefs more than anything else.
I have lived in the middle east and witnessed first hand religious persecution of people who were born for generations in their own country. This statement may be true in the fact that there are a lot of militant Muslims in Saudi Arabia so the odds are that Bush or whoever would have been militant Muslim had he been born into a Muslim family, but you can hardly state that religion is an accident of geography. It is so much mor complicated than that.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:49 AM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngirl View Post
I have lived in the middle east and witnessed first hand religious persecution of people who were born for generations in their own country. This statement may be true in the fact that there are a lot of militant Muslims in Saudi Arabia so the odds are that Bush or whoever would have been militant Muslim had he been born into a Muslim family, but you can hardly state that religion is an accident of geography. It is so much mor complicated than that.
Of course it's more complicated than that. But it doesn't make the statement any less true. Are you suggesting that religious persecution of anything other than christian religions does not happen in the United States? Even within christian religions there is the belief that "my religion is better than your religion". I'm speaking specifically of organized religion. IMHO organized religion of any stripe is nothing more than a "business" and the ministers, reverends, priests, rabis, imams and ayatollahs are nothing more than used car salesmen.
Please excuse the excess use if smileys but it helps to get my point across. The opinions expressed therein are that of the writer and do not represent any entity living or dead. In other words it's my opinion, noting more or less. I don't speak for anyone other than me sure as H**l don't allow others to speak or do my thinking for me. The title of this thread is " Half of New Testament forged, Bible scholar says". When I first read that my reaction was something along the lines of, "they're just now figuring that out?"

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!