Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2011, 09:46 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by M22KLARS View Post
Wow, bravo Hillman. Now your attempting to insult me? Typical christian mentality. Keep it up. Let's see where it gets you.

My bad......

Old 05-06-2011, 10:04 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
I've actually argued for years that Catholics missed the mark when it came to the will of Christ. Please explain to me how a Catholic praying to Saints is not worshiping an idol.
Yep, I know what you mean...but, actually, all religions fall short. Thank God we're forgiven!!

As for Catholics and their veneration of saints...not to mention their Marian beliefs, history of indulgences, believing on salvation by works, and their view on transubstantiation, and etc. etc. >>>>>> Don't get me started on Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, Assembly of God, Pentecostals, and their.......

..........look at that Funetical.........we agree on something!!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:16 PM  
Traveler

Ahhhhh. That's nice! Thanks a mil!
Old 05-07-2011, 06:12 AM  

TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Yep, I know what you mean...but, actually, all religions fall short. Thank God we're forgiven!!

As for Catholics and their veneration of saints...not to mention their Marian beliefs, history of indulgences, believing on salvation by works, and their view on transubstantiation, and etc. etc. >>>>>> Don't get me started on Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, Assembly of God, Pentecostals, and their.......

..........look at that Funetical.........we agree on something!!
I have an old story to tell. My dad's youngest brother was a Holiness preacher. I mean the old fashioned kind, snake handling, lye drinking and all. Once he was in the middle of a really emotional sermon and backed into the red hot stove in the end of the room. This was back in the 1940's and the stove was one of those that the stove pipe came in from the ceiling and when he and the stove fell he straddled the hottest part of the stove. He laid on his stomach for weeks and somebody had to feed him and "handle" his toilet needs. For some reason he was never into the Christian mission quite as enthusiastically after that.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:01 PM  
AK 47 toting Liberal!

Ah yes. When fantasy meets reality!
Old 05-07-2011, 10:27 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
And we have a winner!!

After 5 days, 71 views, and 6 entries we can now answer the question.

Catholics ARE Christians. There is no "and/or" to it.

Does it bear repeating..........."It makes me shiver to see Atheist profess intentional, or perhaps in this case actual stupidity. And then defend it religiously. The sheer stupidity that it takes to makes such arguments is probably off the IQ charts entirely......"
I've heard numerous self-proclaimed Christians claim that Catholicism isn't Christianity, despite its members considering themselves Christian. I've heard numerous self-proclaimed Christians claim that Mormonism isn't Christianity, despite its members considering themselves Christian. The Westboro Baptist Church and the Ku Klux Klan are groups whose members claim to be Christian, but these groups are generally regarded by other self-proclaimed Christians as "not Christian".

Your personal proclamation that Catholics are Christian may be sufficient in your own mind to answer your derogatory question, but the reasoning you supplied is hardly persuasive.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:32 PM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
I've heard numerous self-proclaimed Christians claim that Catholicism isn't Christianity, despite its members considering themselves Christian. I've heard numerous self-proclaimed Christians claim that Mormonism isn't Christianity, despite its members considering themselves Christian. The Westboro Baptist Church and the Ku Klux Klan are groups whose members claim to be Christian, but these groups are generally regarded by other self-proclaimed Christians as "not Christian".

Your personal proclamation that Catholics are Christian may be sufficient in your own mind to answer your derogatory question, but the reasoning you supplied is hardly persuasive.
I think even satan would agree that the westboro group and the KKK were not christian at all.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:56 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
I think even satan would agree that the westboro group and the KKK were not christian at all.
Sure, but how is a self-proclaimed-Non-Christian supposed to distinguish Christianity status of a person who claims to be Christian? If I ask a Catholic, they are going to provide me with a definition of Christianity that includes Catholicism and (probably) excludes WBC beliefs; if I ask a WBC member, they are going to provide a definition that includes WBC, and (probably) excludes Catholic beliefs.

A non-Christian is incapable of making this distinction. It would be like asking a person allergic to apples to vote for either Granny Smith or Golden Delicious as the type that makes a better pie. The best this person can do is repeat the predominant, qualitative claims of others.

So, I, as a non-Christian, can only repeat the predominant claim that the KKK and the WBC are not Christian organizations. But I only "know" that because most of the self-proclaimed Christians around me say it is so.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:11 PM  
Traveler

It comes down to simple common sense. They simply use Jesus and the Bible as a shield to bolster their biggot opinions. Simple as that.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:00 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
It comes down to simple common sense. They simply use Jesus and the Bible as a shield to bolster their biggot opinions. Simple as that.
Common. Adjective. 1. Of or relating to the community at large. 2. Known to the community.

Common Sense and "Predominant Claim" are synonymous. The common sense of WBC members is that they are Christian and Catholics are not. The common sense of Catholics is that Catholics are Christian. The common sense of most Christians says that Catholics are Christians. The common sense of those who follow Jack Chick says that Catholics are not Christians.

The common sense of non-Christians (atheists, budbhists, hindis, whatever) does not have sufficient basis to claim that one self-proclaimed Christian is deluded or lying while another self-proclaimed Christian is a True Christian.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.