Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2011, 05:04 AM  

TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldruggedcrosser View Post
You are wrong about being written to scare people. It was written to tell people who are lost in their sin that there is away for getting beyond the punishment that sin has coming.

Also it is too bad about being required to preach 10 sermons on tithing, because tithing is a Old Testament Jewish thing and was never transferred over to the Gentile church. Sorry to say that has run it's fair share of people off just because they wrongfully make money a issue. That is why I am a published Author of a book dealing with that very subject. Just in case you are interested it is still available at Amazon. The name of my book is "Subtle Deception" How False Teachers Betray Christianity, While Enriching Themselves. It is a Biblical critique of the Gospel of Prosperity and it contemporary evangelists. Yes it is a shameful plug.
I was baptized a spring morning in 1957 before a Baptist congregation of about 1,000. The little envelopes which were pre-printed and delivered to all members of our church had a small block to check which stated "Tithe" and another which stated "Donation." They were readily available at the front of the sanctuary. I guess the word didn't get around.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:29 PM  

ORC;finally theres something we can agree on. The subject of your book.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:08 AM  

Southern Baptist churches are autonomous with no outside requirements for sermons. The individual churches are only affiliated with local associations, state and national conventions.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:51 PM  

TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Southern Baptist churches are autonomous with no outside requirements for sermons. The individual churches are only affiliated with local associations, state and national conventions.
Maybe you should check your religious history. Take a look at the baptist church before Jimmy Carter broke from the convention. That's the era I'm talking about.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorph View Post
Maybe you should check your religious history. Take a look at the baptist church before Jimmy Carter broke from the convention. That's the era I'm talking about.
Nope, it's only an affiliation no control from above. An affiliation of autonomous individual churches that have general agreement on matters of faith and practice (see Baptist Faith and Message (BF&M).
Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorph View Post
I don't know about others but Southern Baptist preachers were required to preach 10 sermons a year about tithing and giving.
I can't let this one lie (pun intended), during the time frame suggested I was in an SBC church, both a deacon and a delegate to the state convention. I had left by the time (I think about 2000) Carter joined the SBF a more liberal group than the SBC. I can speak with authority and certainty that no sermon requirements came forth from either the state or the national SBC organizations. There may or may not have been suggestions but pastors choose their own messages with impunity as they are beholden to no-one but the deacons and the local congregation that called them.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!