Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2011, 04:21 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Oregon House Approves Bill Targeting Faith Healers

HTML Code:
http://www.kptv.com/health/27150802/detail.html
Quote:
SALEM, Ore. -- Oregon's House of Representatives has passed a bill that would remove legal protections for parents who rely on faith healing to care for their sick children.
The move comes in the wake of several high-profile cases involving the Followers of Christ Church in Oregon City. Members of the church rely on prayer and anointing the sick with oil instead of traditional medical care.
Most recently, the state took temporary custody of an infant girl suffering from a serious eye condition. Officials said the daughter of Timothy and Rebecca Wyland had developed a huge mass covering her eye and was at the risk of going blind. The baby recovered and the state has since allowed the girl to return home.
Other cases, however, ended in death. Neal Beagley, 16, died of bladder complications in 2008. After his death, a medical examiner ruled that he could have lived if his family had taken him to a doctor. Beagley's parents were eventually convicted of criminally negligent homicide.
That same year, 15-month-old Ava Worthington died of pneumonia and a blood infection, according to an autopsy. Her parents, who said they never called a doctor because they didn't believe doctors could help, were found not guilty of manslaughter.
The bill passed on Thursday is sponsored by Democratic Rep. Carolyn Tomei. It would stop parents from using faith healing as a defense in murder cases.
"When you visit the graveyard and see all those children's names, it's time to say enough is enough," Tomei said.
The measure was approved on a 59-0 vote. It now goes to the state Senate for approval.
Oregon House Approves Bill Targeting Faith Healers-faith-healer.jpg 

Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
and people say, what harm is there in religion.......

once you believe one crazy thing it's very easy to morph into another crazy thing and pretty soon you are refusing simple medical treatment, handling poisonous snakes, forgoing std prevention, killing your neighbor over their belief in a different god or mutilating your children's genitals(circ). It's just sick that at this point in time so many people still give credence to religion, scientifically we are past that, technically we know better.

I think this a step in the right direction... belief in the mythological should never be an excuse to harm or let your children be harmed.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:11 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I particularly liked this part; "59-0 vote".
Old 03-15-2011, 03:30 PM  

Austin
Tuberculous cervical lymphadenitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not limited to religion. That being said, if people want to make poor decision that affect them, I don't care. Let em die. I'm sorry for the kids, I really am, but my government telling me what to do bothers me.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
Tuberculous cervical lymphadenitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not limited to religion. That being said, if people want to make poor decision that affect them, I don't care. Let em die. I'm sorry for the kids, I really am, but my government telling me what to do bothers me.
the government tells you can't rape your kids even though they are "yours", at some point the government does need to set limits, unless of course that is a world you want to live in, but it sure isn't one I would want.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:04 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
but my government telling me what to do bothers me.
Without order things fall apart almost instantly. No government no laws, no laws, no cops. No cops no speed limits, no DUI issues, no many things that allow us to live in relative peace and safety.
My ex neighbor is a complete loon. were it not for his fear of jail he's resume shooting his pellet gun at women drivers on cell phones.

My point is the tradeoff here is drastically in our favor. Homeland Security makes my skin crawl but we're doing remarkably well at preventing assploding jihadists.
Also both our culture and ethics call for protection of children.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!