Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2011, 11:40 PM  

I'm still lost on Blucker's comment about Hoover. That went so far over my head that I didn't even blink!

Old 07-07-2011, 12:14 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I'm still lost on Blucker's comment about Hoover. That went so far over my head that I didn't even blink!
But ducks don't wear earrings!

Old 07-07-2011, 05:06 AM  

TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
"So many dresses and so little time to wear them."

Herbert Hoover

(just kidding....I think!)
I'm guessing you mean J. Edgar Hoover. He was the Gay one.

About the polite business. Does anybody remember this:

"Vice President Dick Cheney blurted out an obscenity at Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy during a testy exchange on the Senate floor. The incident occurred after Leahy harangued Cheney about profiteering by Halliburton and President Bush's judicial nominees. According to the Washington Post, the exchange ended when Cheney offered some crass advice: "Go f**k yourself." The Washington Times put it this way: "Cheney...responded with a barnyard epithet, urging Mr. Leahy to perform an anatomical sexual impossibility."

My point being that if that kind of exchange can happen in the hallowed halls of the United States Capitol building...what kind of gestapo tactics are we about to be subjected to at an online forum for debate? When it gets to where I can't tell somebody how I feel about a 2000 year old collection of Jewish fairy tales I'll get out of here voluntarily...you won't have to chastise me very often.

In a letter to then president John Adams here's an excerpt showing what Thomas Jefferson thought about it:

"the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding"
Old 07-07-2011, 07:06 AM  

Dorph, it is not gestapo tactics, but many people have very deep feelings in regards to their religious beliefs, and usually a thread starts out polite, but within a few days it turns into a name calling free for all, and many times someone gets hurt.

When I was a youngster, my folks warned me many times never to discuss politics or religion because nobody will ever win the debate due to these deep seated beliefs.

The administration wants to allow these debates to continue, but just understand that someone has to spend lots of time behind the scene (referring to the moderators) to read each and every word, and we personally read some hurtful words which in my opinion are not necessary.

BTW, thanks for clearing up my lack or knowledge between Mr. FBI and MR. Dam Builder!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 AM  

We had a good forum on religion/politics going on Trumpet Herald some years ago but some got too nasty and used up to much bandwidth with insulting drivel (just to poke someone in the eye) so it was shut down. Forums can easily degenerate that way since we don't have to look each other in the eye when commenting. Often it becomes a Google cut and paste battle instead of one of our own intellect. I found during my career that when traveling or having a cup of coffee or meal with a notable scientist we could have a reasonable discussion of even Creationism/Evolution without hate and ill will.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:30 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
We had a good forum on religion/politics going on Trumpet Herald some years ago but some got too nasty and used up to much bandwidth with insulting drivel (just to poke someone in the eye) so it was shut down. Forums can easily degenerate that way since we don't have to look each other in the eye when commenting. Often it becomes a Google cut and paste battle instead of one of our own intellect. I found during my career that when traveling or having a cup of coffee or meal with a notable scientist we could have a reasonable discussion of even Creationism/Evolution without hate and ill will.
What background are you from, to be having coffe with notable scientist? WOW!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:55 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
But ducks don't wear earrings!
this one does.........
Be Polite-p1030616.jpg 

Old 07-07-2011, 05:04 PM  

TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
What background are you from, to be having coffee with notable scientist? WOW!
LOL...I was thinking the same thing. Seems that a person at that level of intellect would have a more valuable pass time than an online discussion forum where even old worn out farts like me can comment.

Maybe he is studying the street or common view.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:46 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
We're all "common" if we admit it. I used to stock shelves with the son of the former owner of the Havana bus system. A guy who helped me learn to build computers sold vids of muddy semi clad Texas girls. He used to head Seymour Crays super computer OS staff.
Half way through 2011 and we already have a long list of people we're unlikely to hear much from again.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:54 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
We are all guilty of sin, in varying degrees
nope, you are because that is your belief, And I think these are the kind of posts that lead to anger, you don't assume everyone else is christian in an attempt to separate them and further push your own ideological beliefs

give it a break, this particular thread was about being nice and you want to use it to push your religion....

Closed Thread

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.