Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2011, 06:49 AM  

TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
He prepared a few commandments too that seem like instructions for behaviors. The bible is full of directions about treating others.

My personal belief is that these instructions are very useful in our own lives and reflects Christ's teachings. I know man bornagains who sure won't go to heaven based on their behavior on Earth so it strains my credulity to think this latest slant on Christianity isn't just so much malarkey.
Judeo-Christian teaching clearly are often also rules of behavior for simple often nomadic tribal people. God couldn't easily explain trichinosis to them so his instruction was that swine were unclean. That saved a lot of lives.

My whole point on religions is that yours or anyone's is fine by me until practitioners wish to push it on me. In 1960 we Catholics scoffed at the idea of an American president allowing his Catholicism to alter his presidential decisions. 50 years later we live in grave danger of exactly that happening should the religious right ever elect a President.
Let's see now:

Turn the other cheek
Walk the extra mile
Do Unto Others
Love thy neighbor
If sued in court for coat, voluntarily give cloak
Take no thought for tomorrow(401K anyone)
Love thine enemies
Pray for those who curse and despise you
Sell what you have and give it to the poor
Be ye therefore perfect even as the father

Add to that the tithe plus extra gifts

I'm 77 years old and I've never met a Christian

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads