Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2011, 02:53 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
It says WHAT???

Quote:
1. The Bible?s position on abortion is:

a. Never mentioned.

b. To forbid it along with all forms of artificial birth control.

c. Condemnatory, except to save the life of the mother.

2. The Bible suggests ?marriage? is:

a. The lifelong union of one man and one woman.

b. The union of one man and up to 700 wives.

c. Often undesirable, because it distracts from service to the Lord.

3. The Bible says of homosexuality:

a. Leviticus describes male sexual pairing as an abomination.

b. A lesbian should be stoned at her father?s doorstep.

c. There?s plenty of ambiguity and no indication of physical intimacy, but some readers point to Ruth and Naomi?s love as suspiciously close, or to King David declaring to Jonathan: ?Your love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.? (II Samuel 1:23-26)

4. In the Bible, erotic writing is:

a. Forbidden by Deuteronomy as ?adultery of the heart.?

b. Exemplified by ?Song of Songs,? which celebrates sex for its own sake.

c. Unmentioned.

5. Jesus says that divorce is permitted:

a. Only after counseling and trial separation.

b. Never.

c. Only to men whose wives have been unfaithful.

6. Among sexual behavior that is forbidden is:

a. Adultery.

b. Incest.

c. Sex with angels.

7. The people of Sodom were condemned principally for:

a. Homosexuality.

b. Blasphemy.

c. Lack of compassion for the poor and needy.

This quiz, and the answers below, draw from a new book, ?Unprotected Texts: The Bible?s Surprising Contradictions about Sex and Desire.? It?s by Jennifer Wright Knust, a Bible scholar at Boston University who is also an ordained American Baptist pastor.

Professor Knust?s point is that the Bible?s teachings about sexuality are murky and inconsistent and prone to being hijacked by ideologues (this quiz involves some cherry-picking of my own). There?s also lots we just don?t understand: What exactly is the offense of ?arsenokoitai? or ?man beds? that St. Paul proscribes? It is often translated as a reference to homosexuality, but it more plausibly relates to male prostitution or pimping. Ambiguity is everywhere, which is why some of you will surely harrumph at my quiz answers:
Answers coming soon..........
It says WHAT???-bible.jpg 

Old 05-25-2011, 03:01 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
1. a
2. c or b
3. c
4. c
5. b
6. a
7. b

PM me how I did as to not ruin it for others. :]

Old 05-25-2011, 04:15 PM  

I didn't catch that the posting was multiple choice, and thought it was "all of the above." Talk about taking a double take!
Old 05-26-2011, 01:18 PM  
What page are you on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I didn't catch that the posting was multiple choice, and thought it was "all of the above." Talk about taking a double take!
thats what threw me off... i was like "uhh... some of these are all correct"
Old 05-26-2011, 01:42 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
The contents of "the Bible" are different in different religions. Different numbers of books are included, or the books are included in different order. In addition, there are many different translations of the Bible, some of which are considered authoritative by some religions.

Even the "Ten Commandments" is not a clear term. There is no part of the Bible that says, "The Ten Commandments are ................." What are considered the Ten Commandments are included in different places in the Bible (Exodus 20:1-17 and Deuteronomy 5:6-21), the number of commandments is not clearly (it may appear more reasonable to view the passages as containing 13 commandments, in either book of the Bible where they are contained), and they are presented in different words in different books even in the same translations of the Bible (for example: Exodus - "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy," or Deuteronomy - "Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the Lord thy God has commanded thee"). Different religions present the Ten Commandments in different words, and sometimes identify each Commandment in a different order than other religions.
HTML Code:
http://www.bessel.org/bibles.htm
Quote:
Bible Translations

The information in the following chart comes from various sources that appear to me to be knowledgeable. It is presented here to show the very wide variety of Bibles that are considered "The Bible" for different people. A good website for comparisons of Bible versions is bibleversions.com and, of course, there are many good books on the subject of Bible translations and versions. The question of which Bible is "correct" or the "best translation" is a controversial subject for many people in different religions, and sometimes for people within the same religion.
Quote:
Book of Mormon According to LDS (Mormon) belief, the Book of Mormon is a companion Scripture to the Bible, with which it shares equal status.
Quote:
TEV - Today's English Version, also called the Good News Bible or Good News for Modern Man An older Modern English Bible from the American Bible Society. It has taken some flak for being too loose of a translation. Actually, I believe that they did fairly well with a limited vocabulary. Copyrighted.
From the American Bible Society (a conservative Protestant organization that has managed to produce a liberal translation)

The Good News Bible is a project of the American Bible Society to render the Bible in a form that unchurched people can understand.
Disadvantages
For people who attend church regularly and are familiar with the Bible, the fact that the Good News Bible does not use traditional religious vocabulary is a disadvantage. Since clarity is the overriding goal of this translation, it often seems to be inaccurate when compared to other translations, but it is in fact an accurate translation.
Advantages
The Good News Bible is written at a very low grade level and is consequently very easy to understand. It is excellent as story book. In fact, the Old Testament can be read from Genesis to 2 Kings as easily as a novel.
Quote:
Best Known Versions

American Standard Version (ASV)
The American Standard Version, also known as the Standard American Edition, Revised Version, is a revised version of the KJV. It was completed in 1885 and newly edited by the American Revision Committee in 1901.
word-for-word
Douay-Rheims (RHE)
The Douay-Rheims is the translation upon which nearly all English Catholic Bible versions are based. It includes the seven Deutero-Canonical books (also known as the Apocrypha).
word-for-word from Latin Vulgate
English Standard Version (ESV)
The ESV Bible is a relatively new Bible translation that combines word-for-word precision and accuracy with literary excellence, beauty, and readability.
word-for-word
GOD'S WORD Translation (GW)
GOD'S WORD Translation (GW) accurately translates the meaning of the original texts into clear, everyday language. Readable and reliable, GW is living, active, and life-changing.
thought-for-thought
Good News Translation (GNT)
The Good News Translation was first published in 1976 by the American Bible Society in a "common language." The simple, everyday language makes it especially popular for children and those learning English.
thought-for-thought
Holman Christian Standard (CSB)
The HCS is a highly readable, accurate translation written in modern English. It is published by Holman Bible Publishers, the oldest Bible publisher in America.
word-for-word
King James Version (KJV)
The KJV is the first version of Scripture authorized by the Protestant church and commissioned by England's King James I.
word-for-word
Lexham English Bible (LEB)
The LEB complements your primary translation with it's transparent design and literal rendering. It helps you see the text of God?s Word from another angle.
literal
New American Standard (NAS)
The NAS is written in a formal style, but is more readable than the King James Version. It is highly respected as the most literal English translation of the Bible.
word-for-word
New International Version (NIV)
The NIV offers a balance between a word-for-word and thought-for-thought translation and is considered by many as a highly accurate and smooth-reading version of the Bible in modern English.
Combination word-for-word and thought-for-thought
New King James Version (NKJV)
The NKJ is a modern language update of the original King James Version. It retains much of the traditional interpretation and sentence structure of the KJV.
word-for-word
New Living Translation (NLT)
Using modern English, the translators of the NLT focused on producing clarity in the meaning of the text rather than creating a literal, word-for-word equivalence. Their goal was to create a clear, readable translation while remaining faithful to original texts.
thought-for-thought
New Revised Standard (NRS)
The New Revised Standard is a popular translation that follows in the traditions of the King James and Revised Standard Versions. It was written with the goal of preserving the best of the older versions while incorporating modern English.
word-for-word and thought-for-thought
Revised Standard Version (RSV)
The Revised Standard Version is a revision of the King James Version, the Revised Version, and American Standard Version. This text is intended for both private reading and public worship.
word-for-word using modern American language
The Message (MSG)
The Message is a paraphrase from the original languages written by Eugene, H. Peterson. The Message provides a fresh and unique Bible-reading experience.
thought-for-thought; paraphrase
HTML Code:
http://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-versions/
Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
HTML Code:
http://www.bessel.org/bibles.htm

HTML Code:
http://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-versions/

Which one do you use to misunderstand so well?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:39 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
The Book of Mormon
It says WHAT???-romney_powerpoint.jpg 

Old 06-19-2011, 08:04 AM  
Dimensional Flux

Groinsboro, Tarheel
Using logic (not used much in the bible), one deduces from a distended christian point of view:
1) A
2) B
3) C
4) B
5) A--WHEN was Jesus married and HOW did he become the Judge of who does what??
6) C--Yet HOW is such possible?? Inncubus or Succubus?
A and B occured MANY TIMES in the Old Testament.
7) A--Sodomy.

Answers to ANY biblical quiz are culled from ANY bible version, therein similar answers abound.
---
Next quiz please and a bit tougher thanks.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:35 AM  
What page are you on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank_doubt View Post
Next quiz please and a bit tougher thanks.
love it.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:29 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney View Post
thats what threw me off... i was like "uhh... some of these are all correct"
Some of the questions do have multiple correct answers.

Quote:
1. The Bible’s position on abortion is:

a. Never mentioned.

b. To forbid it along with all forms of artificial birth control.

c. Condemnatory, except to save the life of the mother.
Although there are a number of references as to whether fetuses had the same moral value as people. They do not.
Exodus 21:22-23 indicates the punishment for causing a miscarriage is less than for causing a death.
Leviticus 27:6 indicates that infants less than 1 month of age have no value; over one month to 5 years, they are valued at 3 or 5 shekels of silver, depending on their gender.
Genesis 38:24 orders the death of a pregnant woman; the fetus is considered a part of her, not a separate person.
(I was aware of each of these passages, but had to look up the specific references)
Quote:

2. The Bible suggests “marriage” is:

a. The lifelong union of one man and one woman.

b. The union of one man and up to 700 wives.

c. Often undesirable, because it distracts from service to the Lord.

All are true according to the bible.
Quote:

3. The Bible says of homosexuality:

a. Leviticus describes male sexual pairing as an abomination.

b. A lesbian should be stoned at her father’s doorstep.

c. There’s plenty of ambiguity and no indication of physical intimacy, but some readers point to Ruth and Naomi’s love as suspiciously close, or to King David declaring to Jonathan: “Your love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.” (II Samuel 1:23-26)
It's pretty hard to deny C, what with the specific reference.
Quote:

4. In the Bible, erotic writing is:

a. Forbidden by Deuteronomy as “adultery of the heart.”

b. Exemplified by “Song of Songs,” which celebrates sex for its own sake.

c. Unmentioned.
Not sure about these. I could go look them up, but I think that defeats the purpose of the test.
Quote:

5. Jesus says that divorce is permitted:

a. Only after counseling and trial separation.

b. Never.

c. Only to men whose wives have been unfaithful.
Again, not completely sure.
Quote:

6. Among sexual behavior that is forbidden is:

a. Adultery.

b. Incest.

c. Sex with angels.

Incest is acceptable for continuing bloodlines, according to Genesis 19:32-36. But it is forbidden in Leviticus 18:6.
Quote:

7. The people of Sodom were condemned principally for:

a. Homosexuality.

b. Blasphemy.

c. Lack of compassion for the poor and needy.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads