Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 06:39 AM  
Administrator
 
samfloor's Avatar

Missouri
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,845 | Kudos: +114
For those who say to believe every word in the Bible

I've always wanted to own a Canadian!!!...The following excerpt was taken from a friend's status because it's brilliant...

On her radio show, Dr. Laura said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following response is an open letter to Dr. Schlesinger, written by a US man, and posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as quite informative:
Dear Dr. Laura:
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.
1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?
6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?
7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?
8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?
9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)
I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.
Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
Your adoring fan,
James M. Kauffman,
Ed.D. Professor Emeritus,
Dept. Of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education University of Virginia
P.S. (It would be a damn shame if we couldn't own a Canadian
__________________

__________________
AKA....Rusty, Floorist, etc.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 AM  
Senior Member

Greenville, SC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,141 | Kudos: +188
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
....... I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.
Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
Your adoring fan,
James M. Kauffman,
Ed.D. Professor Emeritus,
Dept. Of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education University of Virginia
P.S. (It would be a damn shame if we couldn't own a Canadian
This guy needs to stick to special ed. Apparently he doesn't know the difference between the old and new testament.

It can be dangerous to spew ignorance.
__________________

__________________
"A society that puts equality ... ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom."

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 AM  
Administrator
 
samfloor's Avatar

Missouri
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,845 | Kudos: +114
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
This guy needs to stick to special ed. Apparently he doesn't know the difference between the old and new testament.

It can be dangerous to spew ignorance.
It's still the Bible.
__________________
AKA....Rusty, Floorist, etc.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 AM  
Senior Member

Greenville, SC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,141 | Kudos: +188
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
It's still the Bible.
I don't understand your point. The new testament says some things that indicate that the ritualistic law is not necessary and that we are saved by "grace" not bu following a bunch of rules. It just so happens that by the grace of god, through a relationship with Him, we will just happen to follow the "rules" that matter. This isn't because of the rules themselves but because of our relationship with God.

Nonetheless, you cannot just pick out some old testament stuff and say "..well, you don't do this or that..... The bible says this or that....." Especially if one knows nothing about what they are saying....
__________________
"A society that puts equality ... ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom."

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:04 PM  
Administrator
 
samfloor's Avatar

Missouri
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,845 | Kudos: +114
I think you are the one who doesn't know what you are talking about. Read the title of the thread. Most ministers say to believe every word of the Bible. The Old Testament is part of the Bible. There are many passages in the New Testment that contradict each other. Just pointing out that you cannot take the Bible, new or old, word for word.
__________________
AKA....Rusty, Floorist, etc.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 PM  
AK 47 toting Liberal!
 
rainbow's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 309 | Kudos: +17
The Jews don't even regognize the new testiment as I understand it.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:44 AM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I don't understand your point. The new testament says some things that indicate that the ritualistic law is not necessary and that we are saved by "grace" not bu following a bunch of rules. It just so happens that by the grace of god, through a relationship with Him, we will just happen to follow the "rules" that matter. This isn't because of the rules themselves but because of our relationship with God.

Nonetheless, you cannot just pick out some old testament stuff and say "..well, you don't do this or that..... The bible says this or that....." Especially if one knows nothing about what they are saying....
that is not the point, Christians as a whole do pick and choose what they want from the bible and say they must follow it (and often other people not affiliated with the religion must follow it as well) but yet they refuse to acknowledge whatever they don't like that is in there

you claim this "relationship with god" but the only relationships are you with book, you with minister (who has a relationship with this book as well) there is no direct relationship with god because it is all through second hand and third hand understanding, so the book does matter and the book claims some pretty absurd stuff
__________________
Please help babies...... http://www.intactamerica.org/
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:54 AM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
The Jews don't even regognize the new testiment as I understand it.
makes sense since it was written by a king 1500 years after the events supposedly took place.

Quote:
James gave the translators instructions intended to guarantee that the new version would conform to the ecclesiology and reflect the episcopal structure of the Church of England and its belief in an ordained clergy.
so it is just a politicalized version of the bible for the time. Would be much the same as if they released a version of the bible today translated by Sarah Palin .
__________________
Please help babies...... http://www.intactamerica.org/
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:33 PM  
Administrator
 
samfloor's Avatar

Missouri
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,845 | Kudos: +114
The New Testament was written by Roman Emperor Constantine's priests. They copied and paraphrased the easiet of the religious books available at the time, because they had a time limit under penalty of death. There were many religious books with as many followers as these that were not used.
__________________
AKA....Rusty, Floorist, etc.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:41 PM  
Senior Member

Bristol, Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,062 | Kudos: +48
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
The New Testament was written by Roman Emperor Constantine's priests. They copied and paraphrased the easiet of the religious books available at the time, because they had a time limit under penalty of death. There were many religious books with as many followers as these that were not used.
plus the old testament is just a collection of stories from the time, with little being new in it
For those who say to believe every word in the Bible-christians-y-u-not-least-original.jpg 

__________________

__________________
Please help babies...... http://www.intactamerica.org/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.