Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2011, 10:38 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Why did you choose your religion? or lack there of?

did you just follow what your parents/friends believed? did you go out and seek other religions and compare their values in depth? what got you into your current set of beliefs?

personally, as a kid we went to a unitarian universalist church which for those that don't know is pretty much a non denominational church that covers aspects and beliefs from many cultures. I'm a very logical person and if there is not a logical answer to "why" I cannot continue the belief, with that being said no religion seemed to have any more basis for belief then any other religion as they all failed the "why" test, they all rely on "this is just what we are supposed to do" .So while most people reject the vast majority of religions and just follow one, I just rejected one more religion then most and became an atheist.

so what's your story?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:48 AM  

I went to a Southern Baptist Church for the first 10 years of my life, but abruptly quit when my Mom died when I was 10 years of age. This was my was to punish God for allowing her to die, and have not been back since, except for weddings and funerals.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:51 PM  

Austin
It made the most amount of sense.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 PM  

san marcos, texas
I think the majority of people don't choose their religion, but believe what their parents taught them. I was raised Christian and remained a Christian until I was 18. I always rebelled against the church, but as a teenager I began to question the Bible itself. I'm an atheist now.
The best way to become an atheist is to actually read the Bible, it's full of some crazy stuff!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:02 PM  

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by addie View Post
I think the majority of people don't choose their religion, but believe what their parents taught them. I was raised Christian and remained a Christian until I was 18. I always rebelled against the church, but as a teenager I began to question the Bible itself. I'm an atheist now.
The best way to become an atheist is to actually read the Bible, it's full of some crazy stuff!
I think social conditioning has a lot to do with it.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:11 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
It made the most amount of sense.
what did ?
Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 PM  

Rochester, New York
I took the time to read the Bible and compared and contrasted it with church doctrine and came to the startling realization the two are largely unrelated.

Organized religion doesn't work for me. YMMV.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:58 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
I find it odd the only people to respond to this are atheists or at least against organized religion, we can't as a forum be that different of a demographic compared to the general population... wonder if the religious are afraid to admit it was just because their family and friends were into it....
Old 01-14-2011, 05:29 PM  

It seems unusual. I'd have no problem posting my religious views here, but I'm sure many want their feelings to stay private.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:57 AM  
just a little lower..

Titusville, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I took the time to read the Bible and compared and contrasted it with church doctrine and came to the startling realization the two are largely unrelated.

Organized religion doesn't work for me. YMMV.
Same here...^^

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!