Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2011, 04:32 PM  

Rochester, New York
Having been exposed to many religions growing up, I wasn't sure which way to turn. Then I read the Bible front to back and studied associated texts that most people don't pay attention to.

I concluded religions aren't much different from political parties: they try to draw a large base from which they can assume power and control for their own benefit. They're not all like that, but many are.

Bottom line: if organized religion works for you, run with it. If not, don't feel bad about pursuing the issue of religion on your own. My personal interpretation of Christianity would get me branded a heretic by most Christian religions.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:59 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I think the key is to be a "good person".
To be able to distinguish between right and wrong and to always endeavour to do the right thing.
Even though we may fail in that respect sometimes, as long as the will and the effort to lead a "good life" is there, we're on the right track.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:52 AM  

Texas
I am a christian because I beleive Jesus was killed on that cross and died for all our sins. I also believe he was resurrected. I have a personal realationship through prayer. I speak and feel his answer through my heart. Everyones religious experience will be different. This has been mine and I am proud to say it worked for me just fine.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:21 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindRef View Post
I am a christian because I beleive Jesus was killed on that cross and died for all our sins. I also believe he was resurrected. I have a personal realationship through prayer. I speak and feel his answer through my heart. Everyones religious experience will be different. This has been mine and I am proud to say it worked for me just fine.
but why that over every other religion, what makes it any more valid? The question was a different level then some people are answering it at. I was not curious about what in whatever is in a holy book that says the religion is valid; every religion has that. But I was wondering what makes it any more logical or correct then any other religion out there?

is it blind faith? just what your parents believed, was there any hard evidence or true experience that lead you to believe in it? or again just blind faith? did you compare other religions? in depth? how do you dismiss most religions and choose one?
Old 01-18-2011, 02:06 PM  

Texas
My take on this is that it is up to God to decide which religion is appropiate. I would think he would accept all religions that recognize him, but I don't know.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:27 PM  

Interesting responses. I am currently a Methodist. I say "currently" because I've been a member of many denominations in my 57 years. Originally I was Southern Baptist because that was where my family attended. Also, I was baptized in a Baptist church in 1963. My family was very mobile while I was growing up and my mom usually made us go to the closest church. My youth mostly entailed "attending". Once I left home for college and life I turned my back on anything to do with church or God. It wasn't until 1986 that I actually committed to a Presbyterian denomination. I was a new father and was motivated by my wife to at least appear religious. She was raised Southern Baptist as well. My Presbyterian stint lasted about 2 years then we moved. I wasn't entrenched in the Presbyterian doctrine so when we moved we visited several churches close to us. We settled on a Methodist congregation basically because of the youth program and it was close to the new house. Again, the wife was the motivator. I was still "attending". Historically we just went to the worship service and passed on the Sunday school thing. As my daughter became more involved in the youth program we became more involved in church which led to Sunday school. I attended under duress. I am a black and white, scientific, right and or wrong kind of thinker. As I listened to the preacher's message and listened in Sunday school I became challenged, intellectually, to settle in my mind just what I believed. At the time I didn't have a problem with God being...God, or Jesus being His Son. Where I had the problem was how that related to me and my eternal state. I find challenges to be motivating and I was challenged to "know what I believed". I also enjoy debating a subject and I could not debate theology until I knew more about it. I found that everyone had their own "correct" opinion and that bothered me so I studied and researched all denominations. My studies reached out beyond Christianity but I was always drawn back to God and the bible. I'm not one that scripture "speaks to" like some others. I approach it from an intellectual perspective and it makes sense or it doesn't. There was one scripture passage that did speak to me though. It was 1 Peter 3:13-15. In essence it says "Always be prepared to tell those that you meet what you believe and why." That convicted me and still does today. I was convicted enough in 1995 to start teaching classes in Systematic Theology. I continue to teach today. There are the Armenian perspectives and the Calvinist perspectives. The basic witness approach to say "Jesus is my Lord, or He died on the cross for me, the bible say so, etc." just doesn't cut it if a person has serious questions about their faith or lack of. With all of the different opinions and perspectives I had to pick a spot that made intellectual sense for me. If I meet someone who is a professed atheist I accept them as that. If I meet someone who is genuinely seeking to know more I attempt to make sense for them. We have to base our beliefs on something. Sometimes that belief is based in rejection... I understand that because I was once there to. It's hard to get one's head around some of the things in the bible. I'm a proponent of belief not necessarily being based in understanding. After all, once you completely understand God He ceases to be God. One of the principles of belief is the mystery of faith. Hebrews 11:1 addresses that fact. It says, "faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.". If we use scripture as our guide, and I know only we Christians do, we accept the fact that some will not believe. Based on your doctrinal beliefs that can be because you reject the truth that is in you or God has not allowed you to believe. Scripture states that He closes some peoples ears and eyes so that they will not believe. My heart hopes that every atheist has the opportunity to not reject at some time in their lives. Scripture also tells us that believers only seek God once the Holy Spirit prompts them to do so..................

I'm going to stop here. I feel like I'm typing into the internet void. If anyone has questions or want clarifications please post a reply. If I have stepped on anyone's doctrinal toes, I apologize.

Blessings!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:41 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
but why that over every other religion, what makes it any more valid? The question was a different level then some people are answering it at. I was not curious about what in whatever is in a holy book that says the religion is valid; every religion has that. But I was wondering what makes it any more logical or correct then any other religion out there?

is it blind faith? just what your parents believed, was there any hard evidence or true experience that lead you to believe in it? or again just blind faith? did you compare other religions? in depth? how do you dismiss most religions and choose one?
OK...as I thought, the internet void prevails, but here goes..........

Your question "but why" was on my mind last night. I mentioned Hebrews 11:1 in my earlier post but I appreciate that that is not "the" answer for you. Nor is it for many others. How about this......I came to this forum because of the Jeep Forum. I like Jeeps, especially my '95 YJ. If you asked me "why" I'd say something about the lines of it, or the simplicity, or the reliability, or...you get the point. Now, there are other Jeep lovers on this forum that would give different reasons for their love of a/their Jeep and their reasons would be just as valid. You could say, in a way, that their love for their Jeep was relational. I never take my Jeep off-road. It stays in the garage most of the time covered up. I relate to "a" Jeep differently than the person who only off-roads but I to relate to one. Now, at the same time, their are Jeep HATERS on this forum. They are very open about their hate and they tell you about it. While I can't explain or appreciate the hate I do understand it. I relate to a Jeep differently than they do. There is nothing I can say or do that will change their Jeep hating state. That is within them and they'll have to deal with that relationship as they see fit. The Jeep has never done a bad thing to the HATERS...in fact it is just waiting to help them in some way.

So, while I am somewhat uncomfortable with using a Jeep to God in a comparison that might help to explain "why". It boils down to "relationship". It is a good one or a bad one based on our perspective, not God's (or the Jeep's). There will be those who just will not give God (or the Jeep) a chance, and their will be those that they'll have to watch through the lens of a lifetime to see the benefits of God (or the Jeep), and there are those that will love God (or the Jeep) without a second thought. We all come to God or reject Him for different reasons. He (God) or the Jeep doesn't reject us.

As I said in the earlier post, I've investigated most all other religions (and cults), for various reasons, but I was and am drawn to the One True Supreme Creating Loving and Graceful God. The God I learned about from the bible, through nature, and most relationally, through my heart (not physical, but within my very being). I can make a connection with Him, intellectually and relationally. Scripture can help us to relate to God or it can push us further away. It has been my experience in defending my faith that some the most versed people on the bible are atheist. While I disagree with their interpretation I understand and accept their positions......much like I do the Jeep haters. They just don't have the ability or desire to relate (to God/Jeep) as I do.

I am called to pray for those that can't or won't believe. But I do so with confidence that their rejection is of themselves or possibly that of the Holy Spirit (their eyes and ears have not been opened to receiving the truth). Either way, I know their belief, or lack of, is not of me and that it is my responsibility to live my life according to my "relationship" with God/Christ.

There are many many many levels of doctrinal explanations and historical and traditional teachings but that is it in an obtuse nutshell.

Blessings!

Again, if I have stepped on some doctrinal toes...I apologize! Post and I'll explain.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:33 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindRef View Post
My take on this is that it is up to God to decide which religion is appropiate. I would think he would accept all religions that recognize him, but I don't know.
that seems like a very spiteful god to me, doesn't care how you act as long as you believe in him? or even if you lead an exemplary liffe and get to the gates of heaven he will be "you lead a great life and I can't fault you for anything, you cared more about people and acted more ethically then the vast majority of my followers, but you didn't believe in me based on the highly illogical and questionable reasons for believing in me so to hell you go.

come on.....
Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 AM  

Shuswap, BC
I was raised by atheist parents, in an athiest home.
I came to find God all on my own at age 21.
I did join a church for about 3 years, but the corruption I saw really turned me off of the church/religion part.
Now I sometimes just wonder into a church at random for a service, but mostly do not go to church at all.
While I do believe in God whole heartedly, the church part is rather too much like politics for me.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:16 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCboy View Post
I was raised by atheist parents, in an athiest home.
I came to find God all on my own at age 21.
I did join a church for about 3 years, but the corruption I saw really turned me off of the church/religion part.
Now I sometimes just wonder into a church at random for a service, but mostly do not go to church at all.
While I do believe in God whole heartedly, the church part is rather too much like politics for me.
This is where I'm at too.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!