Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2011, 06:04 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank_doubt View Post
I'm a Pantheist:
Belief that God rests or resides in EVERYTHING.
It is my understanding that Pantheism is the belief that God "is" everything, not "in" everything. To state that God is "in" everything would put forward that the two exist, God and everything (universally), but pantheism rejects that both exist. Pantheism attest that there is no God but that God "is" the universe and everything in it.

Maybe you're a different kind of Pantheist. I'm no expert on the matter myself. Your other opinions on why you are that kind of a pantheist are interesting as well.

See below:

Definitions of pantheist on the Web:

* someone who believes that God and the universe are the same
* of or relating to pantheism
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* Pantheism is the view that the Universe (Nature) and God are identical, or that the Universe (including Nature on Earth) is the only thing deserving the deepest kind of reverence. The word derives from the (') meaning "All" and ' ('') meaning "God" - literally "All is God. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheist

* pantheism - (rare) worship that admits or tolerates all gods
* pantheism - the doctrine or belief that God is the universe and its phenomena (taken or conceived of as a whole) or the doctrine that regards the universe as a manifestation of God
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* pantheism - The belief that the universe is in some sense divine and should be revered. Pantheism identifies the universe with God but denies any personality or transcendence of such a God; The belief in all gods; omnitheism
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pantheism

* From the Greek words "pan" (all) and "theos" (God). God is all. The belief that every existing entity (humans, animals, etc.) together, is a part of God. The entire universe is divine. ...
Glossary of religious terms (Starting with "P")

* pantheism - A form of theism in which it is believed that ?everything? is God, that the universe and all of the material world is the same thing as God, that God is ?immanent? in and co-extensive with the physical world.
Cultural Anthropology: Global Forces, Local Issues - Student Resources Glossary

* pantheism - The belief that God is the universe and all that comprises it: laws, motion, matter, energy, consciousness, life, etc. It denies that God is a person and is self-aware.
Terms and Definitions | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Old 02-28-2011, 03:52 PM  
Dimensional Flux

Groinsboro, Tarheel
Thank You Hillman!!

Old 03-01-2011, 02:13 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
I think the key is to be a "good person".
To be able to distinguish between right and wrong and to always endeavour to do the right thing.
Even though we may fail in that respect sometimes, as long as the will and the effort to lead a "good life" is there, we're on the right track.

All the teachings indicate good behavior towards others is certainly key. The Commandments all dealt with such behavior toward God and men. I'm befuddled by the relatively recent view that being baptized and accepting Jesus regardless of personal behavior is a get out of Hell free card.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:30 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I'm befuddled by the relatively recent view that being baptized and accepting Jesus regardless of personal behavior is a get out of Hell free card.
Interesting. I've never heard of that teaching. What church do you attend? I'll bet it's a big one with that kind of message.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:00 AM  

I think most people believe region more when they are desperate or weak.

personally i think lack of peace in their
mind. or they can't find happiness inside.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:07 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjung View Post
I think most people believe region more when they are desperate or weak.

personally i think lack of peace in their
mind. or they can't find happiness inside.
Basically, we agree. I would state it differently though; "Most people tend to look to (search for) God when they are feeling desperate and weak".

The church has debated from the very beginning exactly how to define a "means of grace". The great obstacle to the flesh is the misunderstanding/misinterpretation of the difference between being a part of a religion and having a relationship with God. Religion, in and of itself, is not of God. It is of man, therefore corrupt. Relationships are unique and ever changing based on revelation and or rejection.

I've rejected some tenets of the beliefs of the (religions of) Baptists, Catholics, Pentecostals, Lutherans, Assembly of God, Presbyterians, and the Methodists, but at no time have I rejected God.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
I find it odd the only people to respond to this are atheists or at least against organized religion, we can't as a forum be that different of a demographic compared to the general population... wonder if the religious are afraid to admit it was just because their family and friends were into it....
Sometimes while channel surfing I'll stop at the religious channel (TBN?). I don't mean to offend anyone but that whole network is snake oil salesmen (& Jan of the religious pink hair). Where did people like Oral Roberts go? I'd be very concerned if I heard the numbers who actually fall for this.

I like most adopted my parents religion all the way through a Jesuit University. I watched what people did versus what they said. Loving History I read all I could but little of it reflected well on the religions involved.
Next I studied a few other religions but they all had similar disconnects between actions & preaching.
Curiously once free from organized religions I noticed a presence of what I choose to call God in my life. I think I've grown much more as a nonreligious person than I was ever able to do as an adherent.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:44 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Religion, in and of itself, is not of God. It is of man, therefore corrupt.
It is evident yet cheerfully ignored by most. Sometimes you see the proof year after year yet some obviously are choosing not to. The fox isn't in the hen house, he's out there leading a flock.

God gave us the gift of our sexuality and in the early Church priests were married. God never demanded celibate priests, the Church of Rome run by old men did that. Why?
the candlesticks!

Seems that some widows of priests considered the gold altar candlesticks their own. Rome was displeased and celibacy was their solution.
Sometimes I wonder if Rome ever thinks to compare the saved candlesticks to the ruined lives of molested children?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:29 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Sometimes while channel surfing I'll stop at the religious channel (TBN?). I don't mean to offend anyone but that whole network is snake oil salesmen (& Jan of the religious pink hair). Where did people like Oral Roberts go? I'd be very concerned if I heard the numbers who actually fall for this. We're on the same page here! The "numbers" you refer to is staggering! Those "numbers" = $'s, those $'s are indicative of greed. Greed = the flesh. Flesh is not of God but this corrupt world. Unfortunately, believers and non-believers are all subject to it. The "fly in the ointment" of understanding is assuming that all believers are perfect and that all non-believers are damned.

I like most adopted my parents religion all the way through a Jesuit University. I watched what people did versus what they said. Loving History I read all I could but little of it reflected well on the religions involved.
Next I studied a few other religions but they all had similar disconnects between actions & preaching. Being a graduate of a Jesuit University I'm sure you were instructed in the fact that one cannot "study" scripture (I purposely did not use the word Religion.) in a way that furthers sanctification with out first being given the gift to understand. Now, I fully understand an intellectual approach to faith preceding a faith by grace approach because that was my path.
Curiously once free from organized religions I noticed a presence of what I choose to call God in my life. If you had to free yourself...you were in a cult. Quite possibly you were in a group who "practiced" their faith...poorly. Either way, what ever you were exposed to, religiously, was not of God. Religion, being of man, will lead you to man (corruption) and his desires in this world. God will not lead you to "another" god, of any kind, to make your life more pleasing to you. I think I've grown much more as a nonreligious person than I was ever able to do as an adherent.
The last sentence makes sense. We're back on the same page.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:42 AM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
If you had to free yourself...you were in a cult. Quite possibly you were in a group who "practiced" their faith...poorly. Either way, what ever you were exposed to, religiously, was not of God. Religion, being of man, will lead you to man (corruption) and his desires in this world. God will not lead you to "another" god, of any kind, to make your life more pleasing to you.

Nevermind.......

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!