Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 PM  
Traveler

Mill Creek, Washington
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 58 | Kudos: +12
Will all mankind eventually be saved?

Will all mankind eventually be saved?

Most everyone has a vague hope and trust that things will eventually turn out all right and that he will sooner or later get to heaven. Few and far between are the funeral services at which the preacher dares to suggest that the deceased may have departed in the other direction!
Nevertheless, people need to be aware that the Lord Jesus Christ clearly warned that it is easy to end up in hell.

"Enter ye in at the strait gate," He said, "for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it" (Matthew 7:13, 14).

This same Lord Jesus, who spoke so often and so fervently of God's love, and who Himself perfectly manifested the love of God, was at the same time the one who spoke more often of hell than did anyone else in the Bible. He warned, for example, that the time would come when He would have to say to many people:

"Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels" (Matthew 25:41).

The doctrine of the ?remnant? is found through all Scripture. In every age there has been only a small number of people who were approved of God. In the days before the great Flood, Noah was a ?preacher of righteousness? for many years, but won no converts except his own family. The Bible says that "few, that is eight souls were saved" (I Peter 3:20) and that, for the other, "God spared not the old world,? bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly" (II Peter 2:5). Jesus Christ said: "The flood came and destroyed them all" (Luke 17:27).

The days of the early patriarchs were similar.
"They all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth" (Hebrews 11:13).

The Jews, alone among the nations, were then called and prepared as God's chosen people. To them, God said:

"The Lord thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto Himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth. The Lord did not set His love upon you, nor choose you because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people" (Deuteronomy 7:6, 7).
But even among the Jews there were only a few who really cared for God.



This condition was not significantly changed by the coming of Christ. As far as the Jews were concerned, some, of course, believed on Him as Messiah and Savior, but the nation as a whole rejected Him. The Jewish ?remnant? was to be recognized thereafter by their acceptance of Jesus as their long-awaited Redeemer. Paul said:

"God hath not cast away His people which He foreknew? Even so then at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace" (Romans 11:2, 5).

Beginning from Jerusalem, the gospel of Christ was commanded by Him to be preached to all nations. But there was never a promise that all who heard the good news would believe it and turn to Christ. To the contrary, Paul warned in his final letter that "all who will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution" (II Timothy 3:12).

The very meaning of the word "church" (Greek: ekklesia, meaning "those who are called out") indicates that the true Christian church would always be composed of a relatively small group of believers called out of the masses of humanity to be ?separated unto God.? Emphasizing this, the Lord Jesus promised:

"Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom" (Luke 12:32).

Therefore, when Christian preachers and evangelists preach that most people are lost and warn them to "flee from the wrath to come," it is not because they are unloving and self-righteous, but rather because they could not be truly Christian and do otherwise. They simply believe the words of Christ and try to obey His command.

Once, indeed, someone asked Jesus the direct question:

"Lord, are there few that be saved?" (Luke 13:23).
He answered simply:

"Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and not be able."

Now the remarkable thing about all this is that, although most people will die without ever being saved, any person can be saved simply by believing on Christ as his Lord and Savior! The ?narrow way? which leads to eternal life is Christ Himself. Jesus said,

"I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me" (John 14:6).

Christ died on the cross to atone for all our sins and rose again to assure our full forgiveness and justification before God. Now, anyone who really desires to be saved can receive this great salvation merely by trusting in the Lord Jesus as his personal Savior. He says:

"And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely" (Revelation 2:17).But to the great numbers of people who will die in their sins, He says:

"Ye will not come to me that ye might have life" (John 5:40).


Author: Henry Morris and Martin Clark. Excerpt from The Bible Has the Answer
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:42 AM  
Senior Member

TN
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 118 | Kudos: +26
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldruggedcrosser View Post
Will all mankind eventually be saved?

Most everyone has a vague hope and trust that things will eventually turn out all right and that he will sooner or later get to heaven. Few and far between are the funeral services at which the preacher dares to suggest that the deceased may have departed in the other direction!
Nevertheless, people need to be aware that the Lord Jesus Christ clearly warned that it is easy to end up in hell.

"Enter ye in at the strait gate," He said, "for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it" (Matthew 7:13, 14).

This same Lord Jesus, who spoke so often and so fervently of God's love, and who Himself perfectly manifested the love of God, was at the same time the one who spoke more often of hell than did anyone else in the Bible. He warned, for example, that the time would come when He would have to say to many people:

"Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels" (Matthew 25:41).

The doctrine of the ?remnant? is found through all Scripture. In every age there has been only a small number of people who were approved of God. In the days before the great Flood, Noah was a ?preacher of righteousness? for many years, but won no converts except his own family. The Bible says that "few, that is eight souls were saved" (I Peter 3:20) and that, for the other, "God spared not the old world,? bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly" (II Peter 2:5). Jesus Christ said: "The flood came and destroyed them all" (Luke 17:27).

The days of the early patriarchs were similar.
"They all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth" (Hebrews 11:13).

The Jews, alone among the nations, were then called and prepared as God's chosen people. To them, God said:

"The Lord thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto Himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth. The Lord did not set His love upon you, nor choose you because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people" (Deuteronomy 7:6, 7).
But even among the Jews there were only a few who really cared for God.



This condition was not significantly changed by the coming of Christ. As far as the Jews were concerned, some, of course, believed on Him as Messiah and Savior, but the nation as a whole rejected Him. The Jewish ?remnant? was to be recognized thereafter by their acceptance of Jesus as their long-awaited Redeemer. Paul said:

"God hath not cast away His people which He foreknew? Even so then at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace" (Romans 11:2, 5).

Beginning from Jerusalem, the gospel of Christ was commanded by Him to be preached to all nations. But there was never a promise that all who heard the good news would believe it and turn to Christ. To the contrary, Paul warned in his final letter that "all who will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution" (II Timothy 3:12).

The very meaning of the word "church" (Greek: ekklesia, meaning "those who are called out") indicates that the true Christian church would always be composed of a relatively small group of believers called out of the masses of humanity to be ?separated unto God.? Emphasizing this, the Lord Jesus promised:

"Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom" (Luke 12:32).

Therefore, when Christian preachers and evangelists preach that most people are lost and warn them to "flee from the wrath to come," it is not because they are unloving and self-righteous, but rather because they could not be truly Christian and do otherwise. They simply believe the words of Christ and try to obey His command.

Once, indeed, someone asked Jesus the direct question:

"Lord, are there few that be saved?" (Luke 13:23).
He answered simply:

"Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and not be able."

Now the remarkable thing about all this is that, although most people will die without ever being saved, any person can be saved simply by believing on Christ as his Lord and Savior! The ?narrow way? which leads to eternal life is Christ Himself. Jesus said,

"I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me" (John 14:6).

Christ died on the cross to atone for all our sins and rose again to assure our full forgiveness and justification before God. Now, anyone who really desires to be saved can receive this great salvation merely by trusting in the Lord Jesus as his personal Savior. He says:

"And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely" (Revelation 2:17).But to the great numbers of people who will die in their sins, He says:

"Ye will not come to me that ye might have life" (John 5:40).


Author: Henry Morris and Martin Clark. Excerpt from The Bible Has the Answer
Primitive scare tactics. If there's anything after death, which I doubt, we will all get an equal shot at it...not just the ones who believe a 2000 year old Jewish crock.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:26 AM  
Senior Member
 
Hillman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 318 | Kudos: +31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorph View Post
Primitive scare tactics. If there's anything after death, which I doubt, we will all get an equal shot at it...not just the ones who believe a 2000 year old Jewish crock.
Understood......but I need a little help.

Believers understand an eternal life as described in the bible.

Please describe what it is that nonbelievers "have a shot at"? And why 2000 years? You've repeated that number several times?
__________________
A nobody telling everybody about Somebody.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:20 PM  
Senior Member

TN
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 118 | Kudos: +26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Understood......but I need a little help.

Believers understand an eternal life as described in the bible.

Please describe what it is that nonbelievers "have a shot at"? And why 2000 years? You've repeated that number several times?
2000 years ago we got to the part which the Jews wrote but do not even believe themselves. Maybe I'm missing something. I've read the new testament no less than 10 times and that's the way it appears to me. Maybe you can find something among the numerous myths and fables which I've missed. I'd sooner believe Jack and the Beanstalk. Healing leprosy by touching, bleeding a man like a hog only to see him fit as a fiddle two days later? C'Mon.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:01 PM  
fustrated genius
 
HiHood's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,054 | Kudos: +100
del polvo al polvo . . . .

scare tactics are used quite frequently, aren't they? both in mankind and holy law.
"Obey the speed limit or you will be fined, license suspended and/or even jailed, perhaps killed by an accident"
And if you obey these laws, you will enjoy the driving privelidge and lower insurance rates.
* * * *

Obey the commandments and do not sin, for the wages of sin is death, and the rewards of obedience is eternal life.

that IS primitive and still works with me, both with mankind law and the holy law.

And, there was a myth in our family that our anscestors did certain things. Just a few myths, come to find out, after carefull and detail genealogy study, yeah, the myths were a little mistaken here and there but documented for the most part REAL. Ain't that odd? I mean, who'd a thunk it?
__________________
Phewy!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 PM  
Senior Member
 
Hillman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 318 | Kudos: +31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorph View Post
2000 years ago we got to the part which the Jews wrote but do not even believe themselves. Maybe I'm missing something. I've read the new testament no less than 10 times and that's the way it appears to me. Maybe you can find something among the numerous myths and fables which I've missed. I'd sooner believe Jack and the Beanstalk. Healing leprosy by touching, bleeding a man like a hog only to see him fit as a fiddle two days later? C'Mon.
OK, I understand.....you mis-understand. You "quote" me as if you're responding to me but your written word is............unrelated. I'll ask again:

Believers understand an eternal life as described in the bible.

Please describe what it is that nonbelievers "have a shot at"? And why 2000 years? You've repeated that number several times?


At least cut and pate something related.
__________________
A nobody telling everybody about Somebody.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 PM  
mohel
 
blucher's Avatar

Keizer, OR
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,383 | Kudos: +123
Images: 99
Quote:
And, there was a myth in our family that our anscestors did certain things. Just a few myths, come to find out, after carefull and detail genealogy study, yeah, the myths were a little mistaken here and there but documented for the most part REAL. Ain't that odd? I mean, who'd a thunk it?
Depends on the truth in the family or speaker. I see folks on Antiques roadshow with great stories of how Uncle Homer took an officer's sword off a dead Reb at the Battle of Lower Gitchiegoomie.

Then the sword is pronounced a replica made in Japan in 1954.

People lie even to themselves. I believe in blunt honesty but that completely falls apart if I suspect I will greatly hurt someone. I will change channels when intense embarrassment is about to befall an actor. I can not watch things like Jerry Springer not that it's a sacrifice.

My point is that if a person or an institution is about to look dumb, evil or perverted or even just one or two people have a hidden agenda you can predict lies will follow.

Writing good History books involved unweaving the many self serving lies attached to the event or person.
__________________
I'll believe corporations are persons when Texas executes one.: LBJ's Ghost
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:47 AM  
Dimensional Flux
 
Blank_doubt's Avatar

Groinsboro, Tarheel
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 109 | Kudos: +13
Images: 5
All Mankind, in this Root Race, will become like the preceeding Root Races in that it will be improved upon in the next Root Race.
We are currently in the 4th or 5th Incarnation of Humanity.
We are too violent to continue much longer and have destroyed much of the ONLY PLANET/HOME WE KNOW.
We will simply self destruct and in doing so, will SAVE HUMANITY.

The answer is both NO and YES.

CHEERS!!
__________________
THERE IS NO RELIGION HIGHER THAN TRUTH!!
All Women are Ladies till They Prove otherwise!!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:35 AM  
Senior Member

TN
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 118 | Kudos: +26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank_doubt View Post
All Mankind, in this Root Race, will become like the preceeding Root Races in that it will be improved upon in the next Root Race.
We are currently in the 4th or 5th Incarnation of Humanity.
We are too violent to continue much longer and have destroyed much of the ONLY PLANET/HOME WE KNOW.
We will simply self destruct and in doing so, will SAVE HUMANITY.

The answer is both NO and YES.

CHEERS!!
Yes...there's a bit of irony in watching the Christian right pro lifers rant about abortions while the current estimates are that by the year 2040 population of the planet will be about 9 billion. When that threshold is breached some of the earth's resources will already be exhausted and then the next fifty years will take us to the brink of complete extinction. Real smart.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:53 AM  
Traveler

Mill Creek, Washington
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 58 | Kudos: +12
[quote=Dorph;113700]Yes...there's a bit of irony in watching the Christian right pro lifers rant about abortions while the current estimates are that by the year 2040 population of the planet will be about 9 billion. When that threshold is breached some of the earth's resources will already be exhausted and then the next fifty years will take us to the brink of complete extinction. Real smart.[/quote]

Dorf, Your response/excuse is not valid, because our Creator gave mankind a creative mind and necessity is the mother of invention. Nothing can get outside of God's will.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.