Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia > Richmond
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2010, 02:01 PM  

richmond, va
Shiplock Park is a good bit of history- and so is the Valentine Museum (history about Richmond) Visit the old City Pumphouse on pumphouse drive- across the Blvd from maymont- For those that have never done it, take the tour of the State Capitol- go on a weekend when parking is easier, enter from Bank St (South edge of Capitol Square)

Best hamburger in the state- Rough looking little place on lakeside Avenue just beyond entrance to Bryan park- called Roy's Big Burger. Walk up and order to go- they have been there at LEAST 40 yrs. Closed on Sunday, worth the visit.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:39 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
"DITTO" on "Roy's Big Burger" - Order them the way you want them.....A double-double (two 1/4 lb. patties and two slices of cheese) hambuger with cheese right from the grill, as you await and watch, hits the spot.......I've been going there since Roy was there.....now owned by one of his young ladies that was (then) a cook......

Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 AM  
Supporting Member

Here's a couple scenes at the "Cities" Great Ship Locks on the James River-Kanawha Canal on Dock Street in Richmond, VA
Cool places to see in Richmond-great-ships-locks-james-river-kanawha-canal-tobacco-row-background.jpg 

Cool places to see in Richmond-rescue-boat-great-shiplock-park-richmond-virginia.jpg 

Cool places to see in Richmond-james-river-canal-tobacco-row-photo-etc.-005_fixed-1-.jpg 

Old 12-02-2010, 01:54 PM  

Boston, Ma
if you are there in the summer... check out Friday Cheers. I have to say that I really miss that in Richmond. Shockoe Bottom is great... I used to live on 24th at Tobacco Row Apartments... and really miss that scene down there.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:07 PM  
Poison Idea

The Canal Walk rules. It's been restored for a while now but I never thought anything of it til recently when I started having to deliver near Blackfin for work and now I walk by a lot of it fairly often and have made a point to read up on all the plaques and such they have posted all over it. There's A LOT of history in it and basically it was George Washington's dream to have it run from Richmond to the Mississippi.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:16 AM  

Richmond, Virginia
Das James!

The James River has to be one of the greatest, and at the same time underutilized, rivers in any city on the East Coast. Actually we like it that way. Of course there are the "Pony Pastures" and other hot spots but the real wonder is a secret place that few know of.

There you can see Wood Duck, beaver, Blue Heron, Snowy Egret, and a Bald Eagle and some of the best Small Mouth Bass fishing in the state all within walking distance of downtown!

Where? Ah, that's a well kept secret. But if you're driving over the Powhite bridge on 150 towards southside and youjust so happen to look to your left about midway across, you'll be looking right at it. But I'm not going to give you directions. That would take the joy and wonder of discovery away from you. Nope, you'll just have to find your own way there. I will give you a hint though - you might have to "Pine aWay" to find it! You might have to "arch" your back and cross a "track" to find it! :P
Old 12-13-2010, 11:12 AM  

Richmond, VA
I highly recommend the Lewis Ginter Garden Fest of Lights.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:26 PM  
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatzz View Post
The James River has to be one of the greatest, and at the same time underutilized, rivers in any city on the East Coast. Actually we like it that way. Of course there are the "Pony Pastures" and other hot spots but the real wonder is a secret place that few know of.

There you can see Wood Duck, beaver, Blue Heron, Snowy Egret, and a Bald Eagle and some of the best Small Mouth Bass fishing in the state all within walking distance of downtown!

Where? Ah, that's a well kept secret. But if you're driving over the Powhite bridge on 150 towards southside and youjust so happen to look to your left about midway across, you'll be looking right at it. But I'm not going to give you directions. That would take the joy and wonder of discovery away from you. Nope, you'll just have to find your own way there. I will give you a hint though - you might have to "Pine aWay" to find it! You might have to "arch" your back and cross a "track" to find it! :P
Here's a "not-so-secret" place for some smallmouth bass - the "Z" Dam on the Upper James River as viewed from Riverside Drive (just below the Huguenot Bridge)
Cool places to see in Richmond-fishing-smallmouth-bass-z-dam-upper-james-river-richmond-virginia-copy.jpg 

Old 12-13-2010, 01:51 PM  
Supporting Member

Here's a few photos taken at the "Pony Pasture Park" and along "Riverside Drive" of the Upper James River..
Cool places to see in Richmond-whitewater-%3D-rapids-below-z-dam..every-class-rapid-between-z-dam-14th-street-bridge-d.jpg 

Cool places to see in Richmond-upper-james-river-viewed-pony-pasture-riverside-drive-richmond-virginia-.jpg 

Cool places to see in Richmond-richmonds-upper-james-river-viewed-pony-pasture-park-riverside-drive-richmond-.jpg 

Cool places to see in Richmond-swimming-upper-james%3D.jpg 

Cool places to see in Richmond-flatwater-above-z-dam-under-huguenot-bridge-.jpg 

Old 12-18-2010, 08:42 AM  

Virginia
One of my favorite places in Richmond is the "Tobacco Company" restaurant. We live in No. Virginia, but my wife makes sure to take me down to Richmond for the night and have b-day dinner at Tobacco Co. I love that place, great steaks, and an awesome atmosphere.

Love the Hollywood Cemetery as well. It's nice to drive/walk through it and see all the civil war famous names.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia > Richmond
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads