Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia > Richmond
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2010, 05:13 PM  
JLW

Richmond, VA
What's the earliest that you decorate for Christmas?

I guess this year it will be just after Thanksgiving.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:41 PM  
Poison Idea

My room mates GF put crap up already.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:50 PM  

Richmond, Virginia
one simple rule

there's one simple rule to timing christmas decorations in my opinion that you should ALWAYS obey. the rule states that you NEVER let one holiday take away from the enjoyment of another. in other words people who have all of their christmas decor up on thanksgiving day are taking away from the enjoyment of thanksgiving. i think it's rude to the undermined holiday to celebrate it while obviously wishing it was another holiday... how rude, lol. but seriously i think its fine to start decorating for christmas the day after thanksgiving.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:38 PM  

Richmond, Virginia
It's not how early you start but how late you leave it up!

We get ours up a week or so after Thanksgiving. But we LEAVE it up until Jan 5th - or Armenian Christmas! To do this you must pay scrupulous attention to tree watering. Here is my successful procedure for having a soft and pliable tree til well into January::

1) Buy early - What? Yep, getting a tree that's been laying around in the cold and wind just sucks the moisture right out of it. We get it as early as possible and put it in water right after getting it home.

2) I make a fresh cut on the bottom even if the guys at Strange's do their own. a) it's usually cock-eyed, hehe, b) it will scab over on the way home, c) it's usually a bit tall and I have to cut off a bit at the top or a couple branches at the bottom (so make a wreath!)

3) But here is the secret - patent pending hehe! Get a 1/2" - 1" spade bit and put it in your electric drill. Then drill around the outside of the trunk below where the water line is in your tree stand (and if your tree stand doesn't hold water - throw it out and get one that does!). Only go in about 1/8" deep - enough to go just through the cambium layer and expose the white wood. This adds about 70% more ways for the water to enter the tree from the bottom. I usually do 4 - 5 spaced out around depending on the trunk diameter. If it's small definitely use a 3/4" or even 1/2" bit.

Then stand back and watch that puppy gulp down 1 1/2 - 2 liters of water a day! Or like ours right now - TWICE a day! Now think about how dry those other trees are getting after 2 -3 WEEKS laying out in the wind and weather, eh?

Anyway that's my 2c worth on trees - have a happy!

Bobkatzz
Old 12-13-2010, 11:06 AM  

Richmond, VA
I'm typically off Thanksgiving week, so I try to take advantage to put up most of my decorations. However, we usually wait until the day after Thanksgiving to turn on the lights.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:17 AM  

anytime in november is too early
Old 12-20-2010, 03:59 PM  

Anytime after Thanksgiving is appropriate
Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 PM  

richmond, virginia
i just dont decorate. to much hassel
Old 01-12-2011, 03:11 PM  

Springdale, Arkansas
I barely get a tree up the week before Christmas, and it comes down a day or two after. The stores are ruining it for me by starting it before Halloween is even here anymore. What ever happened to letting one holiday come and go before starting getting ready for the next?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:23 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
I don't start anything till Black Friday. I am done with the outside by Monday morning.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia > Richmond
Bookmark this Page!