Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Sacramento
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2010, 09:32 PM  

sacramento, ca
Any cool wheeling spots OTHER than the Rubicon?

I am looking for something different. I have been to the Rubicon but don't know anywhere to wheel closer to sac. Maybe in the foothills?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:05 PM  

Sacramento, California
i know of a small place off of HWY 50 E. you take the Cameron Park exit and make a right at the end of the ramp. then take the very first left at the light and go down until you hit the dirt. I'm not sure if it's legal exactly but I've been there lots of times and I've seen plenty of people out there as well.

In fact, heres a video of me spotting my wife on one of the more difficult spots out there;

Old 10-03-2010, 07:13 PM  

Sacramento, California
you can also go to Prairie City OHV park. $5 to get in. its a pretty cool place but its not very big but if you go with a couple other people you can have a fun time.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:45 PM  

Sunnyvale, California
Just got back from the Lakes Basin Recreation Area- only a couple of hours from Sacramento. Lots of trails, from scenic to difficult. Great in October-- not too crowded and great fall foliage.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:55 PM  

Jackson, California
China Wall above Foresthill!

Been there LOTS of times, and had a blast. In the winter, they close it for sled dogs! That alone is worth the trip to watch. Amazing.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:52 PM  
The Great Dabbler

Roseville, CA
Great! I'm not ready for the Rubicon Trail yet. I've been off road in Montana with my old Ford but never with my Wrangler. Any of these places good for getting to know your vehicle but not so difficult that you end up frustrated and penniless?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:23 PM  

Placerville, California
A good site for local trail info is pirate4x4.com, there are many trails of all kinds of levels. Prairie city is a cool place to test you and your rig. Go the the local Ranger station and ask for maps of the areas you are interested in exploring. Then you should also have a US Forestry map, also available at the Ranger station or online, or a good gps/mapsoftware. Many quality maps will show roads listed as 4 wheel drive or jeep trails. In El Dorado County alone (where the rubicon is located) we have about 2200 miles of forest roads. So you need to just take the time to adventure. So, have a great time and please always stay on the marked trails.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:53 PM  

San jose, cA
Jeepster you have given me a reason to go to sacramento again!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 AM  
The Great Dabbler

Roseville, CA
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YandowR View Post
A good site for local trail info is pirate4x4.com, there are many trails of all kinds of levels. Prairie city is a cool place to test you and your rig. Go the the local Ranger station and ask for maps of the areas you are interested in exploring. Then you should also have a US Forestry map, also available at the Ranger station or online, or a good gps/mapsoftware. Many quality maps will show roads listed as 4 wheel drive or jeep trails. In El Dorado County alone (where the rubicon is located) we have about 2200 miles of forest roads. So you need to just take the time to adventure. So, have a great time and please always stay on the marked trails.
Great information YandowR. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 AM  

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by absurd840 View Post
Jeepster you have given me a reason to go to sacramento again!
right on. always happy to help.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Sacramento
Bookmark this Page!